Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Red Dot and mag. Small. Pistol primers,

Boolit Buddy

Red Dot and mag. Small. Pistol primers,

I just ran out of regular smal pistol primers tonight and was wandering if i could use magnum SP primers. I am loading 38 spl. with 3.5 grs. Red dot, 158gr frn boolit( 167 gr. out of 50/50 ), out of an LCR 38 spl. Thanks, Bruce

Boolit Master
    You shouldn't have much of an issue.. you might get a few more fps from the magnums but that 3.5 gr load is on the mild side so it should be just fine. I did a workup with 20 different primers and titegroup and found that there was a difference of about 30 feet/second from low to high velocity wise. This being in 9mm with a 135 gr bullet and 3.6 gr of titegroup. I tested this across 4 platforms (S&W 929, Para LDA 9mm, Ruger P94, & Glock 34).

It will work fine. You can also use SR primers so long as you haven't done any trigger work to lighten the hammer spring. With mid range loads, I've used SR, SP and SPM primers and found virtually no difference in performance. The primer shortage days and the powder shortage days really helped to teach me what what works "just as well" as in days of plenty.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks you both. Been waiting for some deffinative answers. Tthe only mods to this sp 101 has been a lighter triger spring and i think a 10# hammer spring. Any way, the hammer spring is the next o e lignter than the original.

Boolit Master
    Aren't Sr primers a bit longer than sp primers? I know I used the sr for the .454, but all I've ever heard is that one is longer than the other. Would that cause the primers to be above the case and perhaps rub on the recoil shield? Just asking.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers , but small rifle and small pistol are same size .

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    It will work fine. You can also use SR primers so long as you haven't done any trigger work to lighten the hammer spring. With mid range loads, I've used SR, SP and SPM primers and found virtually no difference in performance. The primer shortage days and the powder shortage days really helped to teach me what what works "just as well" as in days of plenty.
    ^^^^This^^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    ^^^^This^^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I have tne original springs. I will cnange the ham,er spri g back to original spring.

Boolit Buddy
    During the shortage I discovered this. After that I have been stalking just magnum versions for simplicity. No problems at all with proper load workup

Banned

I agree as long as you start mild and work up. What I did when I found myself flush with small pistol mag primers is use them loading 223 ammo. Some internet research (I KNOW FOR WHAT ITS WORTH) showed the at least in the case of cci that there small pistol mag primers and there small rifle standard primers are the same primer in a different box.