MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 375 Ruger

Boolit Master

375 Ruger

I have been loading and shooting a lot of the NOE 378 275gr FNGC, I was loading them over IMR4198 with very good results at 50 yards, but groups were really opening up at 100, so I sought out advice from a good friend, and made the switch to H4895, now I am getting 2.5" groups at 200 yards. Had some problems at first, namely my lube was migrating into the powder and I had a couple slight hangfires, problem was shooting in 112* heat, then too much dwell time in a hot chamber, alleviated that issue by tumble lubing with Lee Liquid Alox after I size and lube, it seems to be keeping the lube in place. I am very pleased with this combination, and at 285grs, it should be a good game taker. Now to work with my big 350gr FNGC bullet from an Accurate Mold, see if I can get decent results with it and H4895, to date it has turned in some super groups at 50, and about 3-3 1/2" at 100, would be pleased as punch if I could cut the 100 yards groups in half. I bought molds for this rifle to get some reduced recoil trigger time, with the intent of shooting it out to 75 yards, I knew I wouldn't be happy just doing that. Despite being an almost 9 lb rifle with the scope on, it has become one of my favorites, despite having enough jacketed bullets to last a lifetime, I still enjoy casting and shooting my bullets for fun and practice. It's like having a heavier 375 Win in a bolt gun.

Boolit Master

The 375 H&H is one of my favorite rifles. That being said when my son purchased a 375 Ruger I was anxious to shoot it. When I touched it off I can say it had every bit of power as that of the H&H. It is destined to be if not already one of the great cartridges, IMHO that is. Sound like you are well on the way to having it as a rifle that can do it all if need be.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

i also have the 375 Ruger Hawkeye. it is a heavy hitter and accurate to boot. i put it away after i over sized and set back the necks and got erratic ignition what with the light primer strikes.

as i recall i got discouraged with the huge case to fill with powder for a plinker that i so wanted but now i will need to dig it out and try to recall where i was with it.

i rebarreled the action with a 458WM take off barrel in hopes to have a modern 45-90 BP round but the LONG throate and fast twist 14 inch kinda gave me fits so i had the fella re-install the 375R barrel. never have shot it since the re-install of the OEM barrel so i really need to begin again with it.

thought several times about getting some brass and having the outside turned down to the 375 Ruger while maintaining a straight walled interior for some 38-55 kind of loadings. but never got there yet ... too many irons to play with i guess and after coming back from my Alaska job the extra dollars seem to have dried up.

Boolit Bub
    Glad to see that somebody is running the 375 Ruger on here. I'm strongly considering getting one of the Ruger Alaskan versions, because I really want to hunt in Alaska and Africa, and that'd be an ideal "do it all" cartridge.

Maybe that's a pipe dream, but hey, it's something to look forward to!

Boolit Master
    I stumbled upon a deal several months ago on a hawkeye, haven't had much time to mess with it but 80 grains of IMR 4350 works well behind a hornady 270 SP. As time permits I would like to work up a full tilt PC cast. Mold recommendations anyone? Just from my limited experience with it so far it's an impressive chambering. Would love to hear what's working well for others.

Ebner

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried cast in my 375 Ruger. So far it's just been a bunch of the Remington 270gr round nose blems from Midway and also a few of the 235gr Barnes TTSX. I was hoping to draw an Elk tag this year and was going to use it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ebner glocken View Post
    I stumbled upon a deal several months ago on a hawkeye, haven't had much time to mess with it but 80 grains of IMR 4350 works well behind a hornady 270 SP. As time permits I would like to work up a full tilt PC cast. Mold recommendations anyone? Just from my limited experience with it so far it's an impressive chambering. Would love to hear what's working well for others.

Ebner
    Full tilt PC will be difficult to do as the baking of the PC creates an air cooled boolit unless you plan to alloy a brittle lino or similar boolit. I would suggest the BRP 270 grain copy that NOE has on their site. It has been a proven performer in both the 375 H&H and 375 Ruger. I push a water quenched traditional lubed boolit with my home brew Red 10 lube at 2400+ fps. I am working at trying Hi-Tek with a higher oven temp (475 degrees) for 30 minutes and water quenching however the coating starts to become brittle and there is a small bit of flaking during the smash test of the boolit. Air cooled PC and Hi-Tek resulted in less than stellar accuracy being around 6" MOA at 100 yards. I will soon do additional testing with the above oven temp Hi-Tek water quenched to see if I can duplicate the 1" MOA traditional lube water quenched WW alloyed boolits.

My current load is 57.5 grains of Varget with a tuft of dacron filler fill the void or airspace.

Boolit Master
    Gas check or plain base? I will say it sure looks pretty with a HP, but then again pretty is what pretty does. Thanks for the info.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...j209mjfviq11n5

Ebner

Banned
    i wanted to buy the 375 ruger a few years ago. it would have been a great black bear(over 400 lbs) caliber. but a stroke cost me that one. it really would have been a great cast booliter. i think ruger made a #1, but i'm not sure. i do luv single shots.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ebner glocken View Post
    Gas check or plain base? I will say it sure looks pretty with a HP, but then again pretty is what pretty does. Thanks for the info.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...j209mjfviq11n5

Ebner
    Gas Check if you are wanting to push upper end. It will help keep the boolit from skidding the lands or stripping the rifling at the higher RPM's/Velocity.

Gotta tell of my fav 375 ruger load ... It is not a cast boolit but it sure is fun to shoot.

58 grains of 4350 IMR behind a Hornaday 300 grain round nose. Nice shooters and betcha they be deer killers.

Boolit Master
    My favorite is the 300gr Sierra and RL17, I have shot two sub 4" groups at 525 laser ranged yards with it before the winds kicked up. It seems to really like the Nosler Partition bullets, and the Hornady 300gr RN bullets shoot really small groups as well. O think this round is going to force me to try powder coating.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	375 Ruger NOE group.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	182910
    NOE 378-275 and H4895 at 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    Looks pretty darn good. I found that using a tuft of dacron filler will also help bring in the group size. Just enough to keep the powder from moving in the big case. I use Varget which a similar powder speed to H4895 and get very nice accuracy.