MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting to think about a progressive Press

If you're really worried about powder charge variations then use a ball powder like W231. End of problem.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master

BTW, stop being anal about powder drops. Go to the range and check groups. If a +/- .2 grain maximum variation cannot be seen on paper, it is only an issue in your head. Forget about it.
    I would add to this to the above, if +-.2 gr actually does give you a variation you can see on a 25 yd target you don't have a stable accurate load.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Satisfy yourself by altering your powder charges by a couple of tenths and see if it shoots to group or whatever standard you set for yourself and your current shooting ability. You'll probably find that you need more time squeezing the trigger than weighing charges. If I look to use a powder measure for quantity loading then I look for a charge weight and powder that doesn't need to be so exact to get the desired results.

As another stated, a lot depends on the powder. On my 650xl, using 700x (flake) I see. 0.1 variation on a 2.8gr 9mm load. And it doesn't really move that much. Really 2.7 to 2.8gr or +-0.05gr. On Longshot it was just as good. Don't fret so much, get it and use it....

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Dillon 650 after reloading for about 20 years on a 550 as I wanted something with all the bells and whistles. Got it from a Dillon supplier up here in Canada. Since I wanted it for 38/357 he changed it from 40 S&W already set up. However he didn't advise as to the adjustments required to get the machine operating smoothly. If you buy directly from Dillon request that they set it up for your choice of calliber. Also this suplier doesn't honor the Dillon guarantee as he has to buy parts from Dillon. Dillon sent the part I had broken (free) and instructed on how to make the necessary adjustments. Great service.

Boolit Buddy
    There's a number of videos on youtube. This particular one goes through whole assembly process as well as what's involved in caliber change. Helped me a lot when I was setting up my press.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
    I bought a Dillon 650 after reloading for about 20 years on a 550 as I wanted something with all the bells and whistles. Got it from a Dillon supplier up here in Canada. Since I wanted it for 38/357 he changed it from 40 S&W already set up. However he didn't advise as to the adjustments required to get the machine operating smoothly. If you buy directly from Dillon request that they set it up for your choice of calliber. Also this suplier doesn't honor the Dillon guarantee as he has to buy parts from Dillon. Dillon sent the part I had broken (free) and instructed on how to make the necessary adjustments. Great service.

Yes I would order for 9mm and will buy direct. It's on hold for the moment while I satisfy myself about the powder measure. I just started running a Lee auto drum on my turret press and range time today confirms it's accurate enough. The increase in speed over weighing every charge is spectacular. It might be enough to not need the progressive just yet.

The BE-86 is metering well and I ran another 200 rounds this evening. I averaged 120 rounds per hour.
    Last edited by 6622729; 07-26-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12