PBcastcoRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyman 310 Swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    Oops, I took it your question was about the bullet that was cast in the mold.

I'm not sure about the 22 hornet, I do know that you can use a set of 30-06 marked handles to load 308, 270, 243 etc, basically any cartridge that takes the #2 shell adapter. As with most things like this, I'm sure there are exceptions. I'll take a look at the 22 hornet and see what I come up with.

Edit - 22 hornet and the K hornet are the only two cases that use the #4 adapter. I guess from this point you'll have measure the the diameter and see if there's something close.

Scott
    So then, the shell adapter is not removable on those caliber specific handles?
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master

Correct, the caliber specific handles don't have a screw in adapter, the handles have the casing diameter machined in the handles.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    Correct, the caliber specific handles don't have a screw in adapter, the handles have the casing diameter machined in the handles.
    Thank you! Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Grand Master
    I have found it satisfactory to use a slightly smaller diameter case body with the 310 tool... it works because the case body is aligned by the die. Just a FYI!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    Hi guys
    keen on swopping a 30.06 die set for one in 222 / 223
    PM me, thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	181187
    Last edited by Frogfeatures; 11-29-2016 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Whatungarongaro te tangata toitū te whenua

Man shall disappear, but the land always remains

Boolit Master

310 Spreadsheet to make inventories easier

Name:	310 sort pic.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	181490

This is a photo of one page of a spreadsheet of 310 tools.
    If you PM me your email address and a request for the 310 spreadsheet in the subject line, I will email it to you.

Now some quick explanations.

From the newer style of handles there are five kinds.
    Small Alloy
    Large Alloy
    Small Steel
    Large Steel
    Caliber Specific Steel
    Large and Small, whether alloy or steel use the screw-in adapters. Caliber Specific handles are drilled to fit the case. A Caliber Specific handle will fit that caliber, but not always others that should be the same adapter number.
    Example 1: 30-06, 270, 7MM, 8MM will fit any rifle cartridge which uses the same shell holder as a 30-06.
    Example 2: 222 or 38 handles are not necessarily interchangeable. 38/357 cases are not identical dimensions to the 222/223 case dimensions. A #1 Adapter will fit both, but I have caliber specific handles which will not!

So my spreadsheet allows me to mark it as any of the five types with the two columns available.

Normally, cases are expanded larger for cast boolits than for jacketed bullets. Different seating punches are listed for cast or jacketed. Normal sets only come with one expander and one seater. Lyman was not consistent with which seating punch was used. The seating punch number is the same as the seating punch for a Lyman Sizer/Lubricator. They did not make them all, but they did make many more than they listed on their chart!

There were more die sets made than were listed on the Lyman chart. I validated the data I entered from the chart was correct per the chart and then I corrected gross errors. Then I added data from sets I have which are not on my chart.

Column 2 is TruLine Jr/Lyman All American Type J shell holder numbers which are the same as Lyman numbers.

Blank spaces are data not available.

Some questions have been asked about the column titles

Here are answers:

AD = Adapter

Handle type:
    S = Steel
    A = Alloy
    SL = Steel Large
    SS = Steel Small

See posts 68, 70, and 72.
    Last edited by BrassMagnet; 11-28-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Boolit Man
    Im not positive, but I suspect a large part of the problem with the steel handle wearing at the bump may be carbon from decapping, not just the brass rubbing and wearing. After breaking several decapping pins, I gave up on them and use the Lee decapping punch set for my 310 use, so am not experiencing the carbon on the bump. The steel (iron?) handles probably aren't as hard as the removable spring steel plate that the alloy handles have though. I haven't had dies stick out and rub.

So wait, are there any steel handles that use removable shell adapters? I thought they were all caliber specific (or within a general shell size range as was discussed). If there are steel handles with removable shell adapters, do they have adjustable shell hooks like the alloy handles?

Ive often wondered if it were possible to alter iron handles for the shell adapters. A tap is probably required, inside turning of the treads on something that small may be tricky. If anyone did that work, Id send a couple handles to be machined.

The guy that had the 310 shop before the current guy (was in WA state I think, then Tombstone Az I believe) said he had scads of iron 30-06 handles, I think he said nearly a 55 gal drum of them, (not sure if he was totally serious, but he said he was). I think he said he'd trade them in multiples to get odd sizes that he could make complete sets from. Not sure if current guy trades them that way. I didn't buy anything from him after prices doubled when be bought the business.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Boolit Master

So wait, are there any steel handles that use removable shell adapters? I thought they were all caliber specific (or within a general shell size range as was discussed). If there are steel handles with removable shell adapters, do they have adjustable shell hooks like the alloy handles?

The Large and Small Steel handles do. They are identical to the alloy handles except they are made from steel. I can post photos, if needed.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post

The Large and Small Steel handles do. They are identical to the alloy handles except they are made from steel. I can post photos, if needed.
    I would like to see pics if its not too much trouble, not that I don't believe you, just interested, I didn't know they made them so. I may like to trade into some.

Thanks!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Boolit Master

Five 310 Handle types, Large & Small, Alloy & Steel, Caliber Specific Steel

Name:	IMG_2851.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	181529
    Large, Steel and Alloy

Name:	IMG_2852.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	181530
    Large Steel color and Marking "L"

Name:	IMG_2853.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	181531
    Small, Steel and Alloy

Name:	IMG_2854.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	181532
    Small Steel color and Marking "S"

Name:	IMG_2855.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	181533
    Caliber Specific Steel

Name:	IMG_2856.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	181534
    Caliber Specific Steel color and Markings "222 REM" &="218 BEE"

Name:	IMG_2857.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	181535
    Insides of all six handles shown above

Name:	IMG_2858.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	181536
    Insides of two Large handles shown above

Name:	IMG_2859.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	181537
    Insides of two Small handles shown above

Name:	IMG_2860.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	181538
    Insides of two Caliber Specific handles shown above, 222 REM & 218 Bee

Boolit Man
    Excellent pictures, thank you!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Excellent pictures, thank you!
    Now this part is merely hearsay!

I don't know, but I have been told the steel "L" and "S" handles were only made for a year before they went to alloy handles.

Now this part I do know. I break pruning shears. I broke my first alloy handle the first day I used it. Rather quickly, too!

When I learned about the steel handles I started searching for them. When I heard about the "L" and "S" handles I really got serious about searching for them.
    "L" handles are expensive, but come up on FleaBay fairly often. If they are listed as Large Steel they get expensive. If they are in a set with dies, they cost less. If you can only identify them by the color and spring steel bump piece, then they become rather affordable.
    I used to believe the "S" handles were merely a myth, then a friend sent me a link to a set on FleaBay. Then he sent me a link to another set. I now have both sets.

Boolit Grand Master
    Brass Magnet, oddly enough, when I decided I "needed" a set of steel handles, I was so pleased to find the first set I didn't even notice that they were "S" handles until I got home... it was the better part of a year before I got the "L" set which I am really more likely to use. Fortunately I have been able to accumulate the caliber specific handles for most of the calibers (rifle and pistol) I load the most frequently (sometimes using "families" of cartridges based on base or case body diameter.) When I load an oddball cartridge, however, the large and small interchangeable set are right there to be used.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Some questions have been asked about the column titles in the spreadsheet.

Here are answers:

AD = Adapter

Handle type:
    S = Steel
    A = Alloy
    SL = Steel Large
    SS = Steel Small

See posts 68, 70, and 72.

Boolit Master

A good spreadsheet generously shared.

BrassMagnet, Thanks for the spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    A good spreadsheet generously shared.

BrassMagnet, Thanks for the spreadsheet.
    +1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    We could probably do this and make it a sticky in this section, for SWAPPING ONLY, but we will not allow any selling, if someone wants to sell outright they'd need to make their post in the selling and swapping section.

Also everyone here that wishes to swap, would need to know that they are on there own, take the necessary precautions to protect your own interests.

I've found it to be the nature of any swapping forum, that some will not update their list and it will get confusing...anyway, I still think this is a good idea.

Jon
    I have edited the title and the OP and made it a sticky.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Public thanks go out to Brass Magnet for generously sharing his work on this spreadsheet. It will be a most useful addition to my references.

BTW, Brass Magnet, I got an e-mail that you had tried to PM me bot my inbox was full. I fixed that now.

Froggie

PS The staff at Cast Pix, at my request, has fixed the incomplete posting I had submitted years ago to their predecessor. It shows the die codes arranged numerically so you can find out readily what that unknown die is used for. Kudos to the Cast Pix administrator who did this for us... not too many folks have access to the old issue of The Single Shot Rifle Journal, so it's nice to make it more widely available.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 12-03-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Boolit Master

Updated Swap List - POST #30
    Last edited by dsh1106; 01-27-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to have a #4 PC, for the 22 Hornet.

Also on my ISO list: a #2 adapter to complete a mint 243 Win 310 die set I'd like to sell.

Up for trade are the following:

- 310 dies for 220 Swift; #169 DA c/w 367 seating stem, #169 DA c/w 367 seating stem, KF-20 EC c/w 223 expanding button.

- 310 dies for 257 Roberts; #166 MR, EC c/w 257 expanding plug.

- 310 dies for 44 Spl; DA c/w 421 seating stem, EC c/w 429 expanding button.

- DA (#150) 44 Russian/Special c/w 421 bullet seating screw.

I bought a pail of dies at a gunshow, if you need anything ask. I have some real odd ducks, like a 7.62x54R PC.

I'm from Canada, USPS works, just costs a bit more.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast