Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 310 Swap thread

Boolit Grand Master
    So you found a 45 ACP set with a small universal steel handle? SCORE!!! It appears somebody added extra dies, perhaps for 45 AR or 45 Colt. Do the dies have caliber markings or code numbers? Regardless, you got yourself a boxful of really good stuff! Congratulations.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    We will see when they get here . Either way, I wanted the handles and I have a complete steel set in .45 ACP and .45 AR if not. Now also looking for a #78 MR and a .427 sizer stem ( 310 ) if anyone has either or both they don't need. You have a PM.
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 04-30-2023 at 02:57 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Bub
    Anybody have a #17 shell adapter?

Boolit Master

I have a line on a conversion head to 7/8-14!!!

I hope to have and make videos shortly!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Good luck with it! I’ve recently acquired an original turret with a single rebored and threaded station (to 7/8 X 14) to test my long held theory that changing to a carbide sizing die was really all that was needed. Fortunately, the new update another member, who swore me to secrecy, was willing to indulge my fantasy and alter just the one station. Now I just need to build up a little more strength and carve out an hour or two to try it out. I suppose my report should go here since everybody who marches to this particular different drum seems to stop by occasionally.
    Stay tuned!
    Froggie

Boolit Master

Awesome!!!

I should have it in a week or so. Full disclosure here once I have it to test!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    So you found a 45 ACP set with a small universal steel handle? SCORE!!! It appears somebody added extra dies, perhaps for 45 AR or 45 Colt. Do the dies have caliber markings or code numbers? Regardless, you got yourself a boxful of really good stuff! Congratulations.
    Froggie
    Froggie,
    All of the correct and matching .45 ACP dies are present except the de priming die which is the long universal rather than the short. Has the #7 insert , good for all three .45's and both #2 and #11 priming chambers . The bullet sizer is .452 with the 374 push rod that matches the seating screw making this a cast bullet set. Very little wear on the hook and wear plate of the handle but the finish is sparse where you hold them so used a lot but not hurt a bit. All are filthy with spots of light rust so will get a few days of soaking. Great set and the box is some better than it looked in the pictures . The Instructions will look great in either the 44-40 set or the .348 W set though they appear to have a publication date of 1953 and both boxes predate that.

Boolit Master

Sambo,

See earlier post about the #2 insert . I made a mistake on the number but #2 is likely still good. Read the OOPS addition. Sorry.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Sambo,

See earlier post about the #2 insert . I made a mistake on the number but #2 is likely still good. Read the OOPS addition. Sorry.
    Sorry, was this aimed for me? I have adapters 1, 2, & 7 for 38 special, 45 acp, and 45 colt. I'm looking for a 17 for .380 ACP.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sambeaux View Post
    Sorry, was this aimed for me? I have adapters 1, 2, & 7 for 38 special, 45 acp, and 45 colt. I'm looking for a 17 for .380 ACP.
    Yes, .45 ACP and .45 Colt both use #7 .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Yes, .45 ACP and .45 Colt both use #7 .
    Gotcha! Thanks for that. I did try the #2 with a 45 ACP case and it scratched the hell out of it.

Anybody need or want a #2 shell adapter? LOL

Also, it seems that my .380 die set came with a #1 adapter. That should work, right? Or should I hold out for a #17?

Thanks!

Boolit Master

Always keep at least one of each insert you get your hands on , they are easier to have than they are to get. As to the #1 , I would think it would but I would see if a .380 with the case mouth expanded to seat a bullet goes through the hole with a hair of room to spare before I used it. Even if it works , keep looking for a #17 at a reasonable price.

Boolit Bub
    Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.
    I'm up to 3 #1s, a #2, and a #7, I think...

Boolit Master

Which means you have 2 #1's you could trade or hone out if need be. That's a good thing . Same with the #2. This stuff is getting harder to get so don't get rid of anything unless you can trade it for something else 310 or Tru Line that you need. That gives you the most bang for your bucks. I sold some extras a few years ago that I should have traded and have regretted it every since. You can find and buy the sets fairly easy but the pieces and parts are getting hard to source.

Boolit Grand Master
    Plus one to what Eddie said! Back in the day when that stuff was common I had a bunch of orphan adaptor rings and a similar bunch of Priming Chambers to use as needed, but over the last couple of decades they seem to have evaporated. Any I can get today, I hold onto! Well said, Eddie!

Froggie

PS You probably can use the #1 as is for a lot of stuff. It should work for the whole 222/223 family, 9mm, 380, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 05-02-2023 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Add PS

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all for the advice!

I have 38 special, .380 auto, 45 colt, and 45 acp dies. Unless I run across a 9mm set, I can't see getting anything else. I'm still waiting for replacement 45 acp parts to come in after the fiasco with the upside down sizing die.

I think that the only thing I need would be that #17 shell adapter, but I'm thinking that if a #7 works for 45 colt and 45 acp ( .454 vs .451 ), then the #1 should be fine for 38 and .380 ( .357 vs .355 ). Right?

If that's the case, then I'll make one set of handles permanently a #1 and the other a permanent #7.

So far, I've used the 38 special and 45 colt sets and they work great.
    I had a previous .380 set that was just wrong somehow... Unfortunately, I sold that .380 set rather than really digging down to figure out WHAT was wrong. I'm hoping the new .380 set works better.
    I have high hopes for the .45acp set when I finally get all the right parts in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I have a boxed TL Jr set in 303 Brit. Maybe we can swap some parts around and make what you need.
    Froggie
    Now that things have settled down to a dull roar here.
    What do you want for the TL Jr set ?

Dennis

Boolit Grand Master
    We’re on thin ice to discuss money on this forum, better send me a PM to avoid breaking any rules.
    Froggie

On the REMOTE chance that anybody has any parts of a set for the Stevens .25-25 I'm interested. Even bits from a .25-21 set might help. These will be old - pre-Lyman if they exist at all. The .25-25 appeared about 1895, but had died out by WW1.

Got a decapper, got handles, muzzle resizer and seater needed most. Pretty sure I can use my .25-20 SS dies with my currently unused set of large handles, but would kinda like this rifle to have its' own set of tools.
    Cognitive Dissident

I'm trying to find 32S&W (short) hand type full length resizer. if you have an extra please pm me here.

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast