RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Wad punches source

Boolit Master

Wad punches source

I need to buy wad punches for the 410, 16 and 12 gauge shotguns. The one at harbor freight are from china and are not usable. Rounded and pointed top and cut undersize to what is listed. Does anyone know of a source other than evilbay? Thanks, james

Are you looking for arch punches? McMaster is where I've purchased many a punch, some have been from C.S. Osborne(USA made), others have been sourced from another domestic mfr, cannot remember the name.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/arch-punches/

Ebay can also be a terrific resource, for finding used tools. I've saved lots of money on some by buying "used" stuff in good shape.
    Having the proper mallet, also makes a difference. As does having a proper backer/cutting board.

-Dan

Boolit Master
    I have used punches from General Tool to cut out patches for black powder. Not sure where their made, but with the assist of a small ballpeen hammer and an acrylic cutting board, they have worked for me quite well.

Made in England & India
    Last edited by Czech_too; 03-23-2024 at 01:50 PM. Reason: country of origin
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Bub
    McMaster is a good source.

I don't know what your shop and tool situation is, but I made one for my 56 smoothbore.
    This one is ran in a drill press. I made it from cold roll steel, but I will probably make another one out of tool steel so I don't have to sharpen it as often.

I know making them is not an option for everyone, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wade punch.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	324940

Boolit Grand Master

Osborne are top of the line very good and available in a lot of sizes. Generals are good and work well not always available in the exact size you need. McMaster Carr, Graingers, MSC, Grizzly?, all carry wad gasket punches. Or online metals sells steel tubing by the foot and a size may be found to make one.

A good base cane be made from lumber glued together to make a end grain surface big enough, mine is 6" square and 8 long or deep when it gets chewed up a light cut with the saw cleans it back up.

Boolit Grand Master

Dixie Gun Works sells a complete line of good drop-forged steel wad punches in 9 different diameters for cutting out wads ... see them at
    www.dixiegunworks.com

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

there was a guy in canada who made ones that went in a press, they work great and are sized for shotguns, he also stocked the molds from russia. can not remember his company name right now, maybe somebody on here will know and ill keep thinking
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I Thank everyone who offered up information and suggestions. I have loaded thousands of 12 gauge in the past but am a noobie as far as the 16 and 410 are concerned. Is this a great site or not! james

Boolit Master

tatvcanada.com
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I made a decent punch from a sharpened section of 12 gauge barrel. Not as easy too find scrap 16 and 410 barrels though.

Boolit Master

Fred Cornell in Pennsylvania used to make a wad punch that works in your reloading press. I got mine for the 45 70 from him & it is a beautiful piece of work. I bought it so long ago I don’t know if he is still in business or even if he is still alive but it might be worth a search. Used arch punches are worth looking for on Ebay. I got a dozen Osbornes to make wads for 12,16, &20 gauge shotgun shells there. Know what you would be willing to pay. Prices are crazy now. Even Dixie want $35 and up for one punch.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

What I did is buy the gasket hole punches from Snap on Tool , That is all I use and and a life time warrantee . There is a O ring that you can get in any farm fleet store when the one is worn out. just match up the size to the ga. you want to use it for and also the smaller ones I use to cut my cards for over powder and shot for shot shells.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    It appears that my first choice, the press mounted ones by Fred Cornell, are no longer being made. More’s the pity, as they worked great. I may have an extra in 40 caliber that would perhaps do in a pinch for your 410, but I don’t know how much that would help you.

My second choice was the punches used with a mallet that were made long ago by Lyman. Unlike the automotive punches that folks here are recommending, they were made in sizes specific to calibers and gauges for reloading ammunition. They still show up occasionally on auction sites and at gun shows… they would definitely be worth looking for.

BTW, what kind of wads will you be cutting, card, fiber, cork, or?? The Cornell typ press mounted dies would not do to cut very thick wads of cork of fiber.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    good arch punches are the best but can be costly. ive made punches before by grinding the end of a piece of pipe to sharpen it. they work pretty good. if you have a lathe you can vary the size by cutting from the inside first

Boolit Master

Frog, the wads I have cut so far are cut with a Harbor Freight 7/16" punch that came out of a china made el cheapo set of punches. It is not a very good punch but it is all I can find right now. I have punched several wads from foam I got out of the hobby supplies at wallyworld and a few out of cardboard backing from an old notepad. I am going to try to find some cork sheets locally or even some gasket material from a car parts place. I am really just beginning to understand just how tough it is to find 410 supplies. Good punches in 410 start at around $80.00 and go up from there. oh well, gives me something to do in my old age, james

Boolit Grand Master

If you sharpen that Harbor Freight punch it will cut better.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Frog, the wads I have cut so far are cut with a Harbor Freight 7/16" punch that came out of a china made el cheapo set of punches. It is not a very good punch but it is all I can find right now. I have punched several wads from foam I got out of the hobby supplies at wallyworld and a few out of cardboard backing from an old notepad. I am going to try to find some cork sheets locally or even some gasket material from a car parts place. I am really just beginning to understand just how tough it is to find 410 supplies. Good punches in 410 start at around $80.00 and go up from there. oh well, gives me something to do in my old age, james
    Go to the farm fleet store and get the cork sheet that you use to make gaskets, I use the 1/8" thick on , I let a friend use my cutters and told him to use the cork I stated because he needed a spacer and out of a sheet he got close to 1000 wads out of it for 12 ga . I use the 7/16" gasket hole punch for 410 and 3/4" for 12 and 10 ga . If I remember right I thinking it is 5/8" punch . As for cards for over shot and powder , I use cracker box to cut them out on . the stiffer the cardboard the netter you are. I use small size hole cutters from the set I got I use for 38/357 for shot shells and 44 mag and 32cal.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7562.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	325126

Im currently working to produce these on a large scale for this exact reason. They can be chucked up in a drill or drill press, are caliber specific and most importantly eject the cut wad from the tool. Message me if you are interested. Sale post coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    I made a decent punch from a sharpened section of 12 gauge barrel. Not as easy too find scrap 16 and 410 barrels though.
    That is a great idea. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important to punch out on the end grain of something like a 4x4. For cork buy a package of cork drink coasters.