Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to crimp??

That tap is 32 threads per inch, but I forget the major diameter. I made one on the lathe. The KC Cabela's store gets $6 plus tax for the cases. And I agree, the Stoney Point tool is a better way.

In Remebrance

Lee- The last thing I would be concerned about is whether or not some lube was exposed in setting my OAL. If it is, so what? Your're using smokeless anyway and there's usually more lube on those big BP boolits than needed for smokeless. If some lube gets lost due to wiping or whatever it may not affesct anything. If it's the mes of the lube, then I dust the boolits with a little mice or moly dust and no more sticky. Go for the accuracy not what looks best.

Welcome to the brotherhood!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret
    Lee- The last thing I would be concerned about is whether or not some lube was exposed in setting my OAL. If it is, so what? Your're using smokeless anyway and there's usually more lube on those big BP boolits than needed for smokeless. If some lube gets lost due to wiping or whatever it may not affesct anything. If it's the mes of the lube, then I dust the boolits with a little mice or moly dust and no more sticky. Go for the accuracy not what looks best.

Welcome to the brotherhood!
    I'm with Brett. When I first stumbled on this board many years ago, I had been loading cast for years. And I thought I knew what I was doing. Found out I didn't know squat.
    One of the things I didn't know, was hiding the lube didn't necessarily make for the most accurate and efficient load in the majority of firearms, rifles in particular. You need to load to the length that your rifle likes.
    My idea of having all the grooves covered no doubt parellals others, of wanting the lube to not pick up lint or dirt in a pocket when out plinking around. Well. some bullet designs are good for this, some not. For the ones that don't like deep seating, I have adjusted to carrying some type of cartridge box, carried in a shoulder slung bag, or slipped into a hip pocket.

Boolit Master
    All good advice! Welcome LEE! >>>>Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Lee, I shoot the 45 cal lyman gc boolit outta my ruger #1 in 45-70. Crimp?, we don't need no stinking crimp. All jokes aside I do not crimp my boolits. I seat them out until I can just barely feel them touching the rifling. Frank

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I'll have to rethink my "no lube showing" philosophy.
    Nice day today, a little yard work. Then chrony a couple and see what's what........................................Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12