Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: longest .224 boolit a 1-14" twist will stabilize ?

Boolit Master

longest .224 boolit a 1-14" twist will stabilize ?

I realize velocity is part of this question, so I'm looking at roughly 2000 f/s ( .222 Rem) or possibly a little faster with the alloy I have available. I've got the original Bator and the new bore rider from Lee and was wondering if a heavier boolit would stabilize in the slow twist barrel.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    I realize velocity is part of this question, so I'm looking at roughly 2000 f/s ( .222 Rem) or possibly a little faster with the alloy I have available. I've got the original Bator and the new bore rider from Lee and was wondering if a heavier boolit would stabilize in the slow twist barrel.
    This is what the Precision Bullet Design and Evaluation software calculates 0.5435" as the maximum bullet length that will stabilize a 0.224 caliber bullet launched at 2000 fps from a 1:14 twist barrel using a Stability Factor of 2.

Below is an excerpt from the Bullet Design Help Files that pertain to the Bullet Stability Factor calculations.
    Calculate the Bullet Stability Factor

The minimum calculated stability factor to stabilize a bullet has
    been determined to be 1.5, However the minimum safe factor is usually considered
    as 2.5. Therefore a default value of 2.5 is used as the starting factor in the
    calculations.

The Bullet Stability Equations of Don Miller that include muzzle
    velocity, bullet length, bullet weight, twist rate and a stabilization factor
    have been adapted to calculate each one of the factors if all three of the
    remaining factors are known.

The Twist Rate, Muzzle Velocity, Stability and Calculated Bullet
    length field value entries are optional. They may be used to calculate an
    optimum bullet length that is appropriate for the caliber and useful muzzle
    velocity of the application

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reply; I see I'm not going to be able to stabilize a heavier boolit without going to a very low b.c. design.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!