Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Fun Sunday

Boolit Master

Fun Sunday

Went out and ran 60 rounds through the SBH 480 Ruger and 20 rounds through the FA 454. The Ruger is still just mediocre for me in the accuracy department, the FA was incredible as always. Shot at targets from 15 yards to 130 yards, the 454 is excellent at turning big rocks into little rocks, just hammers stuff with authority. The 480 is extremely finicky about powder and charge weight, the 454 is accurate with every combo I have tried. So far loads in the 454 that stand out are a 340gr WFNPB at 900fps, the Sierra 300gr JSP at 1200-1600 fps and a 325gr FNGC at 1100-1500fps. First time I had the opportunity to shoot a handgun for almost a month due to some elbow pain. Only problem I am having now is the fact that it is too hot to cast and supplies are getting low.

Boolit Buddy
    Afraid that is the case here too. Enjoy the range time

Boolit Buddy

Sounds like a lot of fun. I have a FA 454 too but I got it more for the 45 Colt cylinder I got with it. At first I was going to get the 97 in 45 Colt but then I learned the cylinder wasn't long enough to accommodate the 45-270-SAA SWC I like so I went with the 83. I'm really glad I did because I want to try some of the heavier LBT boolits later. Currently the best load for mine in 45 Colt is 22 grains of IMR4227 - it's a serious tack driver. I'm taking it on my annual pig hunt in Texas this September. I really like the FA revolvers. I bought two more after I got the 454 but I got the 97 in 44 Spl and 327/32-20/32 H&R. I'm loading the first loads for testing in the 32 H&R now. I know FA's are expensive relative to other production revolvers but in my opinion they're a real value for what you get. The only downside to owning them is there really isn't anything I like better so I haven't bought any handguns since. As a result I'm having a little post handgun buying depression. I almost bought a 1905 S&W 32-20 with drift adjustable rear sight at a gunshow this past Saturday but I just couldn't justify getting it since I have the FA 327 with 32-20 cylinder. I mulled it over for a couple hours but ended up leaving it be. I don't know if I'll regret that later.

Boolit Master
    I love the RCBS 45-270SAA bullet! In 454 cases I load it over 14.5gr of HS6 lit by a CCI 450 primer, it is another bullet that has been accurate with every powder/primer combo I have tried, mine weigh in at 285grs sized and lubed. I originally purchased the RCBS mold after reading an article in Handloader Magazine for the 2 45 Colts I owned, it worked so well in them, that when I purchased my first 454 in the Super Redhawk offering, it was a natural choice, and it has worked oh so well, if all I hunted were deer, this would be a go to bullet, it flies well out beyond 200 yards for me, much, much further than I shoot at live game animals.
    Last edited by High Desert Hunter; 07-19-2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Add content

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Hunter View Post
    ...First time I had the opportunity to shoot a handgun for almost a month due to some elbow pain...
    From shooting hand cannons? I had to quit shooting big bore handguns due to that. It was either keep shooting the heavy kickers and lose the elbow and ability to shoot at all, or go back to 'normal' guns and shoot for the rest of my life.

Boolit Master
    Elbow pain was from work, I wish it was from shooting too much!