Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Picked up a CVA Hunter .44 magnum

In Remembrance

Elias, is that target an `offical Iranian navy training target` for our Gulf Navy sailors?

Now that Michigan allows straight walled ammo to be used in shotgun areas for deer hunting I might have to locate one of these since you guys have put that germ in my feeble old mind!Robert

You would want the faster 1:20 twist for heavier bullets NOT 1:38. You might want to double check it with a tight patch on a cleaning rod, but here are a couple reviews that list it as having 1:20 twist.

http://meigsindypress.com/2014/11/04...-cva-scout-v2/

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/04/gu...-in-44-magnum/

i've been thinking about picking one up for deer hunting next year here in MI as well.

Boolit Grand Master

If the twist is 1:20" I just might pick up one of these. I wanted the ability to shoot heavy boolits but the 1:38" is not heavy boolit friendly. 1:20" would be much better. Not sure what the max weight would be at .44 mag velocities with 1:20" but certainly up into 300+ grs. and maybe as heavy as 400 grs. for a .44 mag "whisper" which is something I wanted to play with.

Thanks for posting those links. I checked the CVA website but found no info on rifling twist.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    I have a 44 mag also, and it shoots very impressive groups also. Local box store has the 45-70 for 275.00, should be a good one too. Good shooting Elias,

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Elias, is that target an `offical Iranian navy training target` for our Gulf Navy sailors?

Now that Michigan allows straight walled ammo to be used in shotgun areas for deer hunting I might have to locate one of these since you guys have put that germ in my feeble old mind!Robert
    It can be whatever you like. It's a Battleship game target. Lots of fun with 22s.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzLeeBear View Post
    You would want the faster 1:20 twist for heavier bullets NOT 1:38. You might want to double check it with a tight patch on a cleaning rod, but here are a couple reviews that list it as having 1:20 twist.

http://meigsindypress.com/2014/11/04...-cva-scout-v2/

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/04/gu...-in-44-magnum/

i've been thinking about picking one up for deer hunting next year here in MI as well.
    I'd do some double checking on my numbers regarding twist rate. I read stuff about these guns but I can't recall the numbers exactly.
    If memory serves, 1 in 20" and 1 in 38" were the numbers. Whichever is the more common pistol twist rate, the rifle was the other. Not much help on that issue, I'm afraid. I haven't had accuracy problems with any load I've shot through the thing. It shoots straight no matter what I put in it.

Boolit Bub
    Too bad they can't all be like that one lol.

Boolit Master
    Saw one of those in .300 black out and it's got the wheels turning. I had one of the nef .300's it shot great but the stock was just too short.

Boolit Master
    I have a 44 mag Scout. The twist rate is 1:20 (I checked with a tight patch and it came out 1:21 close enough. I probably got some slippage)

In Remembrance

I haven`t checked into this rifle as of yet. If they offer it in .45 Long Colt I think I`ll be getting one.Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Saw one of those in .300 black out and it's got the wheels turning. I had one of the nef .300's it shot great but the stock was just too short.
    Stock on this one is full size. The molded checkering works well, too.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to have a handi rifle addiction. Got cured of that finally. I do have CVA's in 300 blackout, 35 Rem. and 35 Whelen. Would love a 45 colt and 357 Mag.

Boolit Bub
    Fun day shooting yesterday. Got to put 100 cowboy loads through it. I have an addiction to to blowing up cinder blocks now!

Boolit Master
    I have the hunter in 35 rem and 7mm-08. Both 20" bbls. The 35 is my new favorite deer rifle. Got it shooting 1 MOA with a 206 grain Lee GC mold. The 7mm-08 shoot submoa with the 139 grain Hornady btsp. You cannot beat these guns for the price.

I would love to have one in 357mag or 45 colt, but have yet to see one in the stores.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    I have the hunter in 35 rem and 7mm-08. Both 20" bbls. The 35 is my new favorite deer rifle. Got it shooting 1 MOA with a 206 grain Lee GC mold. The 7mm-08 shoot submoa with the 139 grain Hornady btsp. You cannot beat these guns for the price.

I would love to have one in 357mag or 45 colt, but have yet to see one in the stores.

Rosewood

Excellent!
    I'm still having a blast with mine. My brother gets jealous how fast I can clean up after shooting.

I have the 35 Remington. Don't have a cast lead load for this yet, just some plinkers from Hunters and they are undersized a bit.

I did snag one box of the Hornady flextip ammo and it's very accurate in the gun. Sighting in the scope, I stacked 3 rounds touching at 50 yards.

Boolit Bub
    New ammo report!
    These weren't cast, but I got some Remington HTP round nose semi-jacketed rounds on sale.

The cowboy action loads I've been shooting were rated under 1,000 fps from a pistol where these are rated at 1,180 with a 240 grain slug. One tester reported 1,750fps with these from a rifle.

What a difference! These pack a much bigger wallop than the cowboy loads for sure. Recoil is noticeably stronger.

Also so put on a different scope...A Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.75-4x32 shotgun/muzzle loader scope.
    Not bad for a low end import. I shot in the afternoon facing west and the glare was kept under control nicely.

In all, still loving the gun. I've had zero issues since my original firing pin problem and the accuracy is quite acceptable for a hunting gun.

I'll probably stick to the cowboy loads for a lot of my plinking. The recoil is less and so is the price.

Boolit Man
    I got a chance the other day to run some of my handloads that I use in my Ruger SRH 9 1/2" out of it . According to my Magnetospeed they clocked 1550 fps from my SRH and 1850 fps from the CVA Scout with the 44 Mag Barrel. Not to shabby for a 295 gr GCHP from a MiHec Mould, I load them to the longest crimp groove COAL of 1.735". They shoot real good as well.
    I bought 2 of the Scouts over a year ago and they are 1-20 twist that is why I chose them over some of the other single shots.
    http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=758
    I don't know why CVA does not have the Hunter listed for Twist, but they have always had the Scout listed.

My first firearm was a CVA Accura V2 .50. Same experience with the trigger. 3lbs and the most crisp operation I have ever experienced. Quite accurate and weather resistant as well. Good to know the rifle worked out well; I always wondered what the centerfires were like.

shoe
    le ebin physics man

Boolit Bub
    My brother now calls it "Destructor."
    It's way accurate and the giant slugs make targets fly to pieces.
    It turned a frozen gallon jug of water into crushed ice in one shot.
    Plus it's way cheaper to shoot this than anything else as destructive for the price.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123