Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 310 & Lee classic 357mag in rifle & pistol

310 & Lee classic 357mag in rifle & pistol

I've loaded & cast for 15 calibers for over 40 years. Started with a Lee Classic in 357 Mag in early 70's but sold it later. Still have my 45ACP Classic. I have a Winchester/Miroku Model 92 and several revolvers in 357 Mag. I want to get another Lee Classic and a 310 tool in 357 Mag to add to my huge pile of reloading stuff. I know neither full length resizes. Is there a problem using reloads from either hand tool in mixed guns i.e. rifle vs. revolver? I would appreciate hearing from someone who has both or several different guns and if they have feeding/chambering problems.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry, but it's gonna depend on your guns. I started loading for 30-30 for two Marlin 336's with a Lee loader at age 16 and no more information than I got from Guns and Ammo back then. I had no idea they shouldn't fit both guns, and they did. Luck of the draw? Beginners luck? Can't say, but I no longer count on neck sized cases fitting any but the gun they were shot in.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

+1 for Wayne Smith's post.
    Lee Classic--is that the original Lee Loader? If so, it full length resizes and the product should be interchangeable. But the old 310 tool was a neck squeezer and may or may not interchange depending on the dimensions of your gun's chambers. True, later in life Lyman did make full length resizing dies for the .357 with the idea that they should be used in the Tru-Line Jr. press. If you've got strong hands you can use the FL dies in the 310 tool, so again, I just depends on your tools and your guns.
    I'm with Wayne in that I segregate my brass and re-use it in the same gun in which it was originally fired. Neck sizing only is especially useful in guns that have excessive headspace. If you're going to encounter trouble cycling neck sized brass used in multiple guns it would be in a lever action.
    DG

I think I knew this but was hoping for a different answer. I guess the only thing to do is try it and see. Just didn't want to separate ammo for when the Zombies are coming over the walls.

Boolit Grand Master

I like Lee Loaders. I'm down to 5 now and still dig one out when I feel "retro". In your situation, I'd go ahead and get a Lee Loader as we know it full length sizes and it'll make ammo will work in all your guns. If you're looking for portable reloading, check out W.R. Buchanan's portable press (he's a member) as his press is getting good reviews...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

+1 for Randy's Buchannan's press - if you were familiar with the Huntington press it is a minor improvement on that but you will need a way to prime, either a ram prime or an off the press primer.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I started reloading in the late 60's with the Lee - Wack a Mole, graduated to a Lyman 310 tool set and then a RCBS Rockchucker. I original did not have the space for a stationary reloading tool so the Wack A Moles and the Lyman 310's really fit the bill. When I got the space I needed & the Rockchucker it was all I have needed. I really like the 310's for reloading in the field or at the shooting bench. I find the Lee's are not quite as convenient for the field or the shooting bench. I now have a myriad of 310 dies as well as 7.8 x 14 standard dies in a lot of the same calibers. If I were to start it all over again my first purchase would be Randy Buchannan's new portable reloading press and my Rockchucker press and I would only need standard 7/8x14 dies for each caliber for either press. That would allow me to reload at the bench in the shop or the shooting bench in the field without a duplication of dies. Yes I would need an external primer for the field but I already prime off the bench via handheld units already so no duplication is needed there either. Trip over to http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ine-Hand-Press and take a look at what Randy is producing.. Lots of interesting banter on the subject..

Ron

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never used a Lee Loader with multiple guns, but if I find the products of my 310 Tool won't fit a second gun, I either full length size (only) on a bench press or with the hammer type sizing dies Lyman used to make and which show up pretty often on flea-Bay. Truthfully what I really like to do is gather up a large number of one caliber and run all of them through a carbide sizing die in a full sized bench press then store them this way until needed. YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"