RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 1895 Winchester Redux

Boolit Grand Master

1895 Winchester Redux

Just got around to cleaning the 1895 in 30US I scored a couple of weeks ago in Cody. Bore looks pretty good considering the mfg date of 1907; a fair bit of pitting but the edges of the lands are well-defined. I bought it for a shooter (60-70% gun) and I think I did good! I think I even have a bit of ammo around here somewhere.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Sounds great! Let us know how it shoots.

Win 95s are my favorite levers. I have found in my favorite one, that is marked 30Govt06 as well
    as 30/40 and 303Brit all shoot better with RN bullets in 170gr to 200gr. Loads for 1895 should
    be kept at 45000psi or lower. I bought a bucket of Govt 30/40 that was Frankfort 1905 production. Powder had broke down to a grease ball, only good to salvage bullets. My rifle loves
    the old RN Krag slugs, I hunt with Sierra 180gr RN.

Boolit Master
    If this is your first go around with an 1895, load the magazine by pushing the base of the cartridge straight down first, around the center of the magazine, and then slide it back as you push the rest of the cartridge down. I learned this from an old Winchester catalog. I got my 1895 in 35 Winchester from a guy who didn't know and pushed the cartridges straight down as one would with a modern bolt action. This ended up bending the lips of the magazine and screwed up the feeding until I read about it and had to bend the lips back into shape.
    PS....This is true of an original 1895. I don't know about the Japanese/Browning clones.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Grand Master

Finally found the ammo! It was mis-marked but I eventually figured it out. Thought I had more 303 brass around but haven't found it yet.
    Yes, I understand the mag loading procedure. I have another 1895 that didn't work out as a shooter. Thanks for making sure I knew, Irascible. Would hate to damage one of these old guns. I think that's one of the reasons I like this gun. I think I learned that from a Hickok45 video.
    Looks like it's going to the range tomorrow, gonna be hot so I better roll out early. Generally don't try to shoot rifles this time of year but sometimes you just gotta do it!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    If this is your first go around with an 1895, load the magazine by pushing the base of the cartridge straight down first, around the center of the magazine, and then slide it back as you push the rest of the cartridge down. I learned this from an old Winchester catalog. I got my 1895 in 35 Winchester from a guy who didn't know and pushed the cartridges straight down as one would with a modern bolt action. This ended up bending the lips of the magazine and screwed up the feeding until I read about it and had to bend the lips back into shape.
    PS....This is true of an original 1895. I don't know about the Japanese/Browning clones.
    It seems that the 1895 made for the Russian Tzar in 7,62x54 are different, as they were made to be loaded from a clip pushing the rounds straight down?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    Don't have to worry about using that technique to charge the magazine on a model '95 that's chambered for 30-06.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Wow; worked great, shot great! Just wish I could see the sights.

Boolit Master
    Beautiful,I love those 95's!

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Wow; worked great, shot great! Just wish I could see the sights.

FWIW, I mounted an XS "Marlin 1894" receiver sight on the flat rear of the bolt top of my .405 (a Miroku clone, so no collectability issue), along with XS' taller, pinned-in, White Line front sight blade.

The combo worked like a charm out to the 300yds I had available for zeroing.

Boolit Grand Master

I think on a good day I may be able to see those tiny sights. Shot three rounds of trap in the 100 degree heat before heading to the rifle range so today wasn't a good day for irons. Time for some new glasses.