RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Mulling Over A Ransom Rest

Boolit Buddy

Mulling Over A Ransom Rest

Anyone here own and/or use a Ransom Rest? I've been mulling over getting one for many, many years and I think I'm finally going to break down and get one. I know there are some intricacies to setting it up right and using it, but geeze, what isn't like that when it comes to developing loads and shooting in general. I only want to use it to evaluate handloads and nothing else. I fully understand my POI will likely be different since nothing exactly duplicates a shooter's variables, but for load development I'd think it would be invaluable. I think this is especially important when evaluating loads for handgun silhouette (1/2 scale) where you could test loads for 100 meters because some will do ok at 50 but not 100. For me personally with my eyes, shooting groups at 100 ain't so easy anymore. I'm ok shooting at 1/2 scale steel rams offhand at that range but it can be tough seeing a small bullseye to settle my front sight on before shifting focus to the front sight. Anyway I'd like to hear any opinions on using a Ransom rest for load development. I know they're pricey but most things are when it comes to this sport.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Ejector, I have used a ransom rest for many years to test sights, groups on builds, and loads for accuracy. I find it an absolute for eliminating the human error, me, the inserts are not cheap but last forever.

Banned

Save your money! Friends and I have out shot them time and time again from bags. We had use of one at the club, still beat it.
    I call them a crutch with a greased ball bearing on the ground.

I have had access to our club Ransom rest for thirty years. I have never used it, did use another one once. I can easily shoot better groups from a bench with bags. It's a lot less work too.

Boolit Grand Master

Properly setup and mounted they work very well. The link below covers the basics of proper setup.

https://americanhandgunner.com/build...a-ransom-rest/

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a Ransom for 30 plus years and its a great load development tool. The main thing is to have easy access to a stable base to clamp the rest to. Get one!

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the input fella's. I'm going to go ahead and get it. 44 Man and MGD - I hear ya but I don't want it necessarily because it can shoot better than me, but because I believe it can provide shot to shot consistency over a couple of hours of testing, and hopefully the only variability will be apparent in the loaded cartridges which is what I'm interested in. Also all my revolvers are iron sights; I can understand how a guy can shoot a better score with the proper scope setup, but I'm only interested in group dispersion when all other things remain equal. For me it's hard to do things consistently over many hours during hot/cold weather with iron sights, especially at longer ranges (50+ yards). It'd be nice to remove all my variability and I believe that's what the Ransom rest does best.

Thanks again everyone - much appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    Used one to test match ammo. It put 50 shots into just over an inch at 50 yards. I KNOW I cannot hold or concentrate that well.

The key is a really solid base. We had a cement pier it was bolted to. Most shooting benches are not stable enough.

Boolit Master
    I had one. Getting it set up to do a simple load test got to be a pain so I got rid of it. Haven't missed it.

Boolit Master
    Most problems with them are operator problems heaped on the rest. None of us do anything wrong, right?
    Our range had a concrete pedestal on the fifty yard line to mount one on. If the correct inserts are used for the fun and the gun is settle in the inserts and the rest is kept maintained accuracy over a long session will be more consistent.
    We've all shot super fantastic groups at odd times off the bench but to do it CONSISTANTLY is a different situation.
    You know, the wallet groups. Of course I am absolutely positive no one on here has ever had a wallet group they have carried.

Boolit Master

Just my experience, not trying to stir the pot or start an argument.

You know, our Service Teams still use the ransom rest to test different ammunition lots and for most of the "small group" made pistols - Service Team high masters can put together a nice 50-yard target but they still use the ransom, so I would think their a tad better than the human when set up properly.

I used one back in the early 70's with my Jim Clark and R.L. Shockey built 1911's. Both guaranteed 2.5" 10-shot groups at 50 yards using their load data. The pistols did between 2.25 and 2.5 inches from the ransom.

Once returned to battery, I would look down the sights to make sure the sights were at exactly 6 O'clock to the bullseye prior to firing. On rare occasion, I would need to reset the pistol, as the sights appeared not to my liking. The owner of the ransom was living at that time in Indianapolis and he had one great machinist friend who made up the inserts and trigger puller.

Today's 1911's are capable of shooting just a tad under an inch, but they are mighty, mighty rare, to those shooting 10-shot groups at 50 yards measuring 1.20 to 1.50 inches. To my knowledge, those groups are shot with a ransom and not just one group I might add.

All I know is that I've seen a couple high masters shooting from a rest and none could beat the ransom, close but close only counts using heavy artillery.