RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lanolin and alcohol case lube???

Boolit Master

now if I could just use my butt to lube my wife couldn't tell me from the baby--butt-wise at least
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

For me and 99% of the time home made products are not necessarily for saving money. If I want case lube I can order on line and wait a week to 12 days or stop by the box store and pick up some boot dressing in the shoe polish dept. If I want bullet lube for my low velocity .38 wadcutters, I can dig out a spray can of spray on dry lube (graphite) or stop by ACE Hardware. If I want items for bullet lube for my rifles, I can stop by the grocery store and find paraffin, vegetable oils, lanolin in the pharmacy. Beeswax can be found at the twice weekly farmer's market, or candles at the local gift shop. When I was shooting black powder revolvers, instead of ordering wads on line and waiting, I soaked cardboard in beeswax and cut out wads with a "hole punch". Money does not dictate my hobby life!

Besides, I much prefer stuff I made, that works just as well as dedicated "reloading supplies", and I use them with pride...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Well, at long last I got to a point that I could reload

the sprayer I found at CVS was the right size, no need to have a 26 oz one when only making up 13 oz.

Was reloading 100 .44 Mag for neighbor. gave it 2 good spurts and mixed them up with my hands. Didn't take long for alcohol to evaporate as it's a might warm here these days.

It worked well and resizing was much better--less effort; may try 3 squirts next time as I wanted to start out light and add as needed.

Shook the complete cartridges in a towel or 5-10 sec and removed any lanolin remaining.

I so like it when a plan comes together
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

That's what I have used for the last couple years, works very good.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Mold

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    thoughts, comments?
    Bag Balm - light finger wipe is all that is needed ...
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I have come to like the 2 oz. tube of Lee case lube mixed with 16 ozs of isopropyl or denatured alcohol (I've used both) and applied with a spray bottle. The stuff works well , not greasy , easy to clean off and Lee case lube is not hard find .
    Gary

Boolit Master

I've been using my "Home Made" spray lube for almost 5 years now. Mixed a batch 5 years ago and it has literally resized about 10,000 rifle cases (.223, .308, 30-06, 350 Rem Mag, & 45-70) and close to 8,000 swaged .223 bullets from 22LR cases. Never a problem in sizing cases or swaging bullet. I lay out the brass or "Swage Jackets/Bullets on an RCBS lube pad and hit them with a one or two shot mist (thats all). Let sit a minute or so, then roll them back and forth slightly on the RCBS lube pad. Next time, just lay out the cases (Jackets) on the lube pad an roll; should be plenty of lube without re-spraying (lots of residual lube on the pad).

My ratio has been 4 oz liquid lanolin to 16 oz alcohol. No problems, except when air temp drops to ~ 55 degrees or less; the lanolin settles to the bottom of the spray jar in cold weather and must be warmed and shaken to redistribute.

A few years ago I bought some Lanolin from Randy Rat. In another few months I will have to open that package and make a new batch of lube. The solid Lanolin from Randy rat will have to be dissolved, I'll comment on my experience when that occurs. Below the line in this post are the materials for my original batch. Sources are Amazon. I actually bought the Alcohol I used at Walmarts.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

Swan 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, 16 Ounces.

https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Isopropy...095KAC37076DMX

New Foods Liquid Lanolin Pure, 4 Ounce.

https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Liquid-Lanolin-Ounce/dp/B00028MLKC/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1472871486&sr=8-5&keywords=lanolin

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

My 99% alcohol is Heet that you get at an auto parts store
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

I forget what it cost me for the 1lb of lanolin I got and the stupid big thing of alcohol but it was CHEAP......dads a pharmacist and just special ordered it easy. I use it for swage lube and it can be used as sizeing die wax but I like the spray stuff for now I have...at least until it runs out. There is a discussion in the swage forum on this iirc.

I think its a lot cheaper, esp when you look at what 1oz of sizing die wax could run you these days.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

I seem to remember a member selling anhydrous lanolin at one point.

The lanolin I bought from RandyRat will not stay dissolved in denatured alcohol for me. Only way I got it to dissolve was to put it in the sun to liguify before adding alcohol and then it separates at room temps within 24 hours. I am not sure why others have had success. Perhaps the denatured alcohol?

Boolit Master

^ that was one of the reasons I went with liquid lanolin. Wasn't sure the semi-solid stuff would stay dissolved.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Master
    I tried to make it with the solid lanolin and has the same problem. It seperates out .

Going to try liquid nest.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master

Bag Balm user here. I doubt I'll use up the can before I quit reloading when I can't shoot any more.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The liquid lanolin will separate also, just shake it up in the bottle before using.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I got mine from the Vermont Country Store - online and catalog. I don't mind supporting another family business, either.
    Tractor Supply Company(?) Store-- the place farmers go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Some here are trying to make this too difficult. Go to walmart do not pass go and do not collect $200 but rather stop into the auto section and pick up the "red" bottle of heat. Get on the computer and order any liquid lanolin that is available from any ebay seller with lanolin in their products for sale. Mixing ..one cheap spray bottle put in one ounce of lanolin to 12 oz of Heat. I believe the heat is 12 oz. Use the heat to clean out your 4 oz measuring cup of any excess lanolin as you put the heat into your spray bottle. Shake well and shake anytime your going to use it for rifle cases. There is NO need to use it on pistol brass when using CARBIDE FL sizing dies. Once your rifle brass is sized put the brass into the tumbler and tumble a while until the brass is free of the lanolin. This lanolin mix is cheaper than ONE SHOT or other lube. Note....... when sizing 50 cal increase the ratio of lanolin to heat as it will aid in smoother action. ALSO>>>> the ratio of lanolin to heat CAN be adjusted to whatever suites your needs.

Boolit Grand Master

Using it on pistol brass does smooth out the operation of a progressive. It's not necessary when using carbide dies. But it does help. I only use it on new Starline brass and it all galling which is a common problem w/ their virgin brass.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    ...There is NO need to use it on pistol brass when using CARBIDE FL sizing dies...
    Even Dillon recommends a bit of lube with the carbide dies to lessen the force needed.
    I reload for fun and any thing that will make it more enjoyable, within reason, I embrace.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast