Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: lanolin and alcohol case lube???

Boolit Master

Question lanolin and alcohol case lube???

Looking for a (the) recipe for use of these two.

Figure you mix them and put in spray bottle

light spray on brass, let alcohol evaporate off and start sizing from there

thoughts, comments?
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Vendor Sponsor

12:1 alcohol to liquid lanolin.

I just exhausted about $5 worth of gas hitting every possible spot in town looking for some. Only came up with some HPA lanolin at Walgreen's and it was VERY pricey. It got to the point where I was wasting more gas than it would cost to ship some here so I got the HPA thinking if I can't find anything better, maybe I can dilute it with alcohol and still use it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Mix one part lanolin with four or five parts 99% isopropyl alcohol. Apply to your brass with a spray bottle. The watered down rubbing alcohol sold at local drug stores will not dissolve the lanolin well. The best sources for lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol are Amazon and eBay.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Bub
    Searching around this site shows 16-1, 12-1, 10-1, and most commonly 5-1

Guys on AR15.com often quote this site http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/28...age=1#i2513109

The jist seems to be to use the purest alcohol (99%) or liquid Heet and liquid lanolin from the organic health food store.

5-1 seems pretty common, I just bought a bottle of Dillon case lube which is supposed to be the same thing. Took the guess work out of it.

I use the 12 to 1 ratio and it works fine. The Heet in the red bottle at the auto parts store is 99% alcohol.
    Last edited by VHoward; 07-17-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown View Post
    Searching around this site shows 16-1, 12-1, 10-1, and most commonly 5-1

Guys on AR15.com often quote this site http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/28...age=1#i2513109

The jist seems to be to use the purest alcohol (99%) or liquid Heet and liquid lanolin from the organic health food store.

5-1 seems pretty common, I just bought a bottle of Dillon case lube which is supposed to be the same thing. Took the guess work out of it.

That would be a reason to choose isopropyl rather than ethyl alcohol, then. With the latter 96% is the normal commercial strength, as it is about the maximum that can be achieved by normal distillation, and greater becomes a lot more expensive. When I was in Kuwait the authorities allowed foreign companies to import it for cleaning computer screens, and indeed to clean all the computer screens in the world. I think it was something to do with all that cleanliness distracting people from chemical hobbies which occasionally caused lethal explosions.

The lanolin needs to be anhydrous, or why would you need anhydrous alcohol? I've used it with castor oil as a bullet swaging lube, but the castor oil is only required because it doesn't diesel at the much greater pressures of swaging. I am sure lanolin and alcohol would work well for case sizing, although plenty of other things will work well too.

Banned
    I too went down this path and my conclusion was that the time, money and energy invested was not worth it. It pains me to admit this also because as a caster and reloader I try to be frugal.

I have settled on RCBS spray on case lube. It seems pricey I admit but I don't load that much rifle any more, just 223. The rest of my rifle stuff gets neck sized only.

A word of caution. You may see the spray on case lube marketed by Cabelas. It is half the price of the RCBS stuff. I had terrible luck with it. I took it back for a refund and they were not receptive at first. But a guy from the gun dept actually came up to the customer service counter and told the young girl there to give me my money back. He said to her "I don't know why we sell that junk." YMMV

Boolit Grand Master

I bought liquid lanolin from the local "whole foods" store. Mixed it 5-1 w/ 99% isopropyl alcohol that I bought off of Amazon. It works well but I have not been to keep all the lanolin in solution. Some shaking before use cures this issue.

I made my first batch w/ the strongest concentration you can buy at Walmart. It worked fine. It took a lot more shaking and more time for the alcohol to evaporate. But it did work.

Boolit Master
    Randyrat has it . Lanolin

Boolit Buddy
    Local drug store will usually order if ask. Geritrex sales as Lanolin USP skin protectant in 1 lb containers, first container lasted over 30 years. From container it is a slave and requires mixing in small container to make final mixing in spray bottle easy. Using a 1 gal baggie for spraying and good mix and then into an open top container to let alcohol evaporate. Really works works well, only take one or two sprays for a full bag of brass.

To make mixing easier, heat mixture with hot water...sure mixes a lot better when nice and warm..do not use any type burner to heat or you face possible banning from house if it is still standing.
    Last edited by Bama; 08-14-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Randyrat has it . Lanolin
    Plus one on Randyrat

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    thoughts, comments?
    Save yourself the time and effort ...
    Bag Balm
    Regards
    John

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Save yourself the time and effort ...
    Bag Balm
    Ok suppose we actually FIND some Bag Balm, (lol) how to mix it and use it/apply it?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ok suppose we actually FIND some Bag Balm, (lol) how to mix it and use it/apply it?
    Go to friendly drugstore or Amazon - it's already mixed, just a slight wipe of Bag Balm on the case with your index finger... Done

Been discussed on the Forum since 2009 and I have used it since about 2005 ...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sear...archid=3458760
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Anhydrous lanolin I ordered on line and the 99% alcohol I get from a beauty supplies store. Mix a 1 part lanolin to 10 parts alcohol in a very hot environment. The 95 degree temperature today is great for mixing. DO NOT go near an open flame. Shake in a spray bottle which you can get at Home Depot. I found this stuff is the best to use for large quantities of cases. Dump in my cement mixer and in an one hour or two they are ready to reload.

--fjruple

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Go to friendly drugstore or Amazon - it's already mixed, just a slight wipe of Bag Balm on the case with your index finger... Done

Been discussed on the Forum since 2009 and I have used it since about 2005 ...
    That is not what this thread is about. It's specifically about making a lanolin/alcohol spray lube.

you can also use RCBS case lube 2 mix with 1 quart of 96% alcohol shake well and use, it will not separate
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Boolit Grand Master

Bag Balm is nothing more than 99.7% Anhydrous lanolin http://www.mws-d.com/images/PDF/7943.pdf Cheaper through Randy

Anhydrous lanolin melts at around hundred degrees. It burns (turns black) very easily. If you do it on the stove a double boiler is best. A hair dyer will work. Once mixed with the alcohol it will stay suspended.

A hot car with the windows up on a hot summer day works well to get everything above 100 degrees. Same for a kettle of 130 degree hot water in the winter.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-17-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    Get lanolin from a health food store.
    90%+ iso alcohol
    Place a 38 cal was cutter in a pump bottle and shake before using.

Since going this route I will NEVER use anything else!
    Same thing as Dillon lube.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast