MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Small Batch SS pin / media Separator

Boolit Master

Small Batch SS pin / media Separator

Was awaiting delivery yesterday of SS pins bought online so I could use my new HF dual drum tumbler. I knew I'd need a separator, was going to purchase one eventually but for the time being thought I'd cobble one together.
    The drum is an 8" diameter X 4 1/2" deep veggie strainer the wife didn't want to use anymore (Chinese plastic). Had a (discarded for the same reason) IKEA cutting board too. used a jig saw and file to cut the board into a disk that fit snug in top of basket, used another piece of board to make a lid for plug so it sealed against top of basket.
    screwed top & plug together. Bought a 12" pic. of 1/4" all-thread at HD.for axle. Center drilled basket & lid. Used nuts & washers to permanently fix rod through bottom of basket, double nut & washer to keep plug/ lid from being pushed too far into basket, wing nut to hold lid tight to top of basket. A couple holes drilled in old square bucket and a piece of tube to hold drum away from side of bucket.
    First run, removed lid, set basket upright in bucket and put 2 HF tumbler drums of .45 brass & pins in basket. Tightened lid on with wing nut & fished axle rod through bucket holes one side at a time.
    Rolled basket couple times & most pins fell out. Rolled another ten times while running garden hose over basket to get rest of pins out & rinse brass. Drained water out of bucket and dumped pins into old fine mesh coffee filter.
    worked great! I will probably lower basket axle holes 2" down, a few pins went over top of bucket on initial roll.
    I paid $1.05 for threaded rod, rest of parts were laying around waiting to be repurposed. Pretty sturdy, guess I'll put off buying one.
    Second batch was 2 drums .30 carbine, same results. Any smaller brass than .30 may fall through basket holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Boolit Master

I love these homebuilt projects. Brings back memories of my grandfather and dad. If it couldn't be cobbled together we didn't need it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

That'll work,
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Will surely work well. It's the same principals behind the commercial separators......

The water breaks the surface tension of the pins which then fall freely to the bottom of the water for recovery.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

Works great, problem is now I'm hooked on shiny brass, adding more time to my prep & reloading cycle, when I'd really prefer to be shooting!
    If this keeps up I may have to switch to muzzle loaders.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 2 of the bought units and both are made too cheap. The crank handles are a joke.
    Bmi
    If ya fill the bucket up to the shaft holes so the brass is submerged, the pins will release even easier, and rinse the brass at the same time.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I intend to make a similar device, using two strainers. They were 69 cents each at the thrift store.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

William,
    have you made your separator yet? I started out looking (actually bought 2) at dollar store strainers (red, 'Betty Crocker brand w/ black handles) but they were pretty flimsy, figured I'd need to make a ring they would seat into, face to face. Didn't have anything of a similar diameter so I appropriated the wife's plastic basket & returned the Betty Crockers.

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I intend to make a similar device, using two strainers. They were 69 cents each at the thrift store.

Boolit Bub
    Can small cases fit thru those holes

Boolit Master
    good thinkin'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zthomps View Post
    Can small cases fit thru those holes
    So far only pins have fallen out holes. I haven't tried it on anything smaller than .30 carbine. If you're going to make one should try smallest brass you plan to clean & see if it will go through strainer holes.