Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data

Thread: Watermelon Rind Pickles

Boolit Master

Watermelon Rind Pickles

Does anybody have a recipe for this. I grew up eating them. Unfortunatly the recipe went to the grave with my grandmother.

In Remembrance

Just enter a search on google or whoever and there are lots of recipes for them. I never cared for them myself.

Moderator Emeritus

Wow! BM, your post surely brings back some very fond memories. No sense throwing those rinds out when they're darn good made into pickles! They have a bit of a unique flavor, but as with all pickles, the vinegar is the main taste. Can't recall whether Mom used white or cider vinegar in them, but I DO recall loving them. Thanks for the memories. Wich I could help you with more info, but had to say thanks at least.

Boolit Master
    Heh, I always gave the rinds to the dogs. They love em. Might give pickling them a try, I try to encourage a lot of fruit eatin at the house.

Perm-Banned
    i just want to tell all the males this. i do a lot of research on nutrition as part of my medical proffesional job. water melon rind has the same properties as ******. i think thats how you spell it. its real and it works. so welcome to the watermelon rind pickles. also lowers blood pressure. if you eat a bunch of them and get a slight frontal headache then you know they are really working.

Perm-Banned
    if any one want to know what word they blanked out pm me and i will tell you, i cant see how it is bad but some people are, i dont know what.

Boolit Buddy
    I made watermelon rind pickles last night with a recipe off the net. White vinegar, sugar, cloves, cinnamon, all spice, a lemon, and water, boil it for 30 + minutes. Turned out pretty good. I got six quart jars ready but after the rinds boiled down only used two jars.

Boolit Master
    Now this is different never had or even thought about pickle watermelon rind. So whats the basic recipe. Do you skin them ? Boil down sound like sauce. Pickles are not cooked the whole way are they.

Boolit Master
    This is cool! Here in Brazil a candy made from the hind is very traditional and have 2 versions one is more like fruit leather and the other is made from the grated rind. But salted and pickled is new to me. Gotta learn howto and try...

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    My Grandmother made bright green rinds, and I believe she called them (candied water melon rind) they almost glowed in the dark
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER