RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 1911-H&G 68-jams on last cartridge.

1911-H&G 68-jams on last cartridge.

Started working with NOE's version of the 200 gr. H&G 68 swc. Sized .452, OAL 1.250 with 4.2 bullseye. The commander will jam on the last round using Colt magazines. Not every time but needs attended to. Cleaned firearm and mags. I make a 225 gr rn that feeds flawlessly with same mags. Tried them after jams. Suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance.

Edit: also ruled out limp wrist.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Boolit Master

Have you tried a slightly longer oal?
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

How old are the mag springs? With shorter slides than the original government, there is a narrower time window to extract and strip a fresh round. From the description, it sounds like a weak mag spring not raising the last round quick enough to hit the feed rails or it is partially ghost feeding during the extraction phase and getting pinched by stripper rail.

Boolit Master
    I agree with weak mag spring. You could try stretching one to give it a little extra umph as a quick test

Boolit Master

I also would say try a new mag spring, they are inexpensive and Wolff provides some nice ones. I was having horrible luck trying to make the Lee version work in my 1911's so I also recently bought this mold. I believe OAL is more critical with this design than with a RN. I Loaded 100 at 1.230 over 4.5 grains of Promo and they shot perfectly... Don't know what the difference is but I like the NOE molds better anyway.

In Remembrance

I started seeing about the same thing in a Combat Commander. I ordered new springs from Brownells for all 11 clips I had - problem went away.Robert

Youns are right on about the mag springs. After examining the Colt mags the spring was definitely "softer". Exchanged with one out of different mag that worked and all went well.
    Thanks.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Boolit Master

I just went through and changed out all my 1911 mag springs. Its been 5 or 6 years since the last time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just a question for the 1911 fans: How frequently do you change your mag springs?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Just a question for the 1911 fans: How frequently do you change your mag springs?
    Ummm, like never? Mag lip configuration is important, try metalforms, they have been flawless.

Good luck

Boolit Grand Master
    If you believe in magazines that fit eight shots in a seven shot space you’ll be changing springs more often than those of us who do not.

I have a number of magazines that will hold 8 rounds but I seldom load that many.
    I usually load anywhere from 4-6 rounds because I am trying for accuracy and focus or just testing a new load. I don't need to stand there and fire 8 rounds in most cases.

People look at me strangely when I use my plastic 9mm that will hold 19 rounds and only load it with 5. That's okay. They don't know what I am trying to accomplish.

Boolit Master

Can you be more specific about the nature of the jam? Round too vertical, hitting top of barrel hood? Round pops out of magazine too soon, before extractor has it under control? 7th round empty fully ejected and clear of firearm? Etc. etc...

There are many types of jams/stoppages, and each one has its own causes.

Boolit Master
    On mags the feed lips may an issue as well if shooting SWC, the original mags were meant for RN ball ammo and may not be releasing the base of the cartridge soon enough. Some mags have a different configuration on the lips that works with either SWC or ball ammo, have several but can't post pics. These flare out about 3/8 " from the end of the lips and release the base of the round sooner.