WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok I'm in :)

Boolit Mold

Ok I'm in :)

Hi guys and girls
    Edda here form Perth Western Australia
    after much research I have decided to dive into this casting thang , pretty much just to increase the amount I can shoot per month as before I moved to Perth my shooting skills had some what plateau .
    so I was reading that I needed wheel weights so today at lunch time I hit up 2 tyre places near work and come up with his lot , pretty much a full 20lt bucket , and was told too come back every 2 weeks and take the Lot for a couple of Friday arvo coldies nice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	172318
    so im in the process of separating the soft sick on , the harder clip on and the zinc and other junk tonight
    and when my moulds turn up next week I'll try my hand at casting some ingots
    thanks for all he info on the forum and hopefully I will come of some use to someone

Welcome to the habit. I hope you find it as useful as the rest of us do.

Boolit Master
    Howdy eddahenry. Glad you have a reliable source of boolit ingredients. It is getting harder and harder to find here on the other side of the planet. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new hobby.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Ok I'm in :)

Welcome, Edda! Like Pipehenry said, lead weights are hard to find most places in the US. Casting is a great pastime, useful, and you save money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master

Also a big welcome from here Edda. Sounds like you are off and running. You have possibly read many of the "stickies" at the top of the page on many of the topics that are sure to be of interest to you. I have also found the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook to be very useful for the occasional question I have. Keep gathering those wheel weights. Great find.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Wow what a score for a tire shop! Most around here have wised up and want you to pay them for the disposal .

What will you be casting for? This will determine what type alloy/blend you want to aim for and give everyone a bit more information for suggestions.

Welcome to the crazy forum......we ain't all crazy, but it helps if you are a bit touched

Boolit Mold
    Hi guys
    will be 357 Mag to feed the S&W and the Rossi lever gun
    yeh after reading all the stuff about WW hear I was like oh this is going to be hard ,
    walked into the first shop ,, hi guys I was wondering if you could spare me some old used WW ,,
    yep just over there take the lot ,, I was like wow
    than had the same thing at the 2nd place ,
    than I asked
    don't the metal recyclers pay you for them ,,,, nope they don't want the mixed metal was the answer , so you can bet I will be driving around every Friday filling up and making ingots , got to get it while the gettings good

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eddahenry View Post
    Hi guys
    will be 357 Mag to feed the S&W and the Rossi lever gun
    yeh after reading all the stuff about WW hear I was like oh this is going to be hard ,
    walked into the first shop ,, hi guys I was wondering if you could spare me some old used WW ,,
    yep just over there take the lot ,, I was like wow
    than had the same thing at the 2nd place ,
    than I asked
    don't the metal recyclers pay you for them ,,,, nope they don't want the mixed metal was the answer , so you can bet I will be driving around every Friday filling up and making ingots , got to get it while the gettings good
    WW are just tough to find in the U.S.A. now due to silly regulations pushed in coastal states. I can understand their line of thought just don't agree. yes the recyclers here pay them for the lead etc...but it is pennies on the dollar compared to what they ask for.

Glad to hear AU hasn't suffered from it, my understanding is you guys are the MacGuyvers of down under anyways and will find a way.

For 357 light loads (and I'm guessing hitek coated) to medium loads, WW or range scrap have done me well. My rossi likes the longer 357 brass and a round nose design to feed smoothest. I just bumped the charge down a bit and away it goes.

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your lead score and welcome to the madness. Great place here with a tremendous amount of knowledge.

Boolit Master

"back in the day" I would drop off a 6-pack now and then to keep the guys happy at the tire shops. Sorta like priming the pump.
    Welcome and be sure to ask questions here. There's always something to learn like use handles on molds, don't just the mold blocks in your hands while pouring lead
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

any chance you're playing cowboy action shooting? with those guns you have you would fit right in
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Nice score. You'll have to let us know what % are lead vs other materials. My Dad has a connection with a shop that does Semi tires along with cars and about 66% are lead with the rest being Zinc or Steel.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome Aboard Mate! Nice Score on the weights. Be sure to post up some pictures when you start melting and casting. Welcome to the madness!

Welcome eddahenry,
    You are in for a real good time here. If I might recommend:http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm. A little long read, but well worth it. Be safe!
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Grand Master

G'day Eddahenry , welcome to the addiction from Louisiana. Nice to have you aboard.
    I started with WW's and a 357 magnum myself. A 1970 three screw Ruger Blackhawk .
    Casting some for it now , going shooting too.
    Gary

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to casting, sorry about your wallet.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    Welcome to our happy addiction, mate. Always wanted to visit Perth so maybe someday we might meet.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Welcome to our happy addiction, mate. Always wanted to visit Perth so maybe someday we might meet.
    Perth is great mate , I've only live here a little time but I love it ,,, not to mention it's located in the 2nd largest state in the world a whopping 2.6 million klm squared and with 13000 klm of coast line there's plenty of beaches

Boolit Buddy
    Good to meet you welcome .Sounds like your off to a good start with your lead stash .

Boolit Buddy

Welcome aboard from the State of Jefferson (the REAL northern California ). Good stuff here with good people.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast