Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Official Shiloh Sharps Image Thread

Wow. Which is to say, WOW! Nice wood and case colors, not to mention the case. Absolutely beautiful!

Griff

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

You have a Weber breach seater tool in the case. What caliber is that 1887 chamber for???
    Chill Wills

Attachment 259122

It's a .45-2.6 (.45-100) caliber and it also is setup with a heal sight for shooting the spine position.
    This rifle hits what you aim it at and that makes it special.

Vendor Sponsor

Okay, the caliber makes sense on a long range creedmoor rifle but what is the Weber breach seater doing?
    ...Breach seating a full case of 2-6/10"?

I use to have a 2-6/10 SS too. May get one again some day. My Axtel 1877 is a 40-70SS.

Very good looking rifle by the way, and you say it shoots as good as it looks!
    Shiloh sure makes a great rifle!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff411 View Post
    VERY NICE! Is that a Hartford model?

Griff

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Yes it is,,,, Thanks,Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Okay, the caliber makes sense on a long range creedmoor rifle but what is the Weber breach seater doing?
    ...Breach seating a full case of 2-6/10"?

I use to have a 2-6/10 SS too. May get one again some day. My Axtel 1877 is a 40-70SS.

Very good looking rifle by the way, and you say it shoots as good as it looks!
    Shiloh sure makes a great rifle!

OK, I have to confess that this rifle is a Axtell. But in a way Shiloh bought out the Axtell tooling so it still has the roots.

That breach seater is set up for the .40-70 as it is in the box. I had both rifles out shooting them and never took the tool back out the box.

But I also have a case made for the 2.6 for breach seating. I even breach seat the .50-2.5. It's not for the extra powder capacity, it's for the better accuracy I get breach seating the bullet.

Here is one of my Shiloh's.
    This is a .45-70

Attachment 259916Attachment 259917Attachment 259915

Here just the rear sight is Shiloh made...
    This is a Garrett made in the 70s, a good ole friend of mine gave it to me. I had it unfired, but with an awful barrel... the panels were not symetrical originally.
    So I ordered a heavy 45 barrel at Green mountain, and chambered it for .2,4", for easy brass avaibility. I asked a free bore, perhaps now I wish I hadn't.
    MVA front sight and vernier, I haven't fired it much; for the moment with .446" paper patched bullets and at 100 meters, almost all shots are next to each other, except some flyers.
    Next project a 50 Roller for hunting, gemmer style and original receiver... or perhaps another for target shooting, I have an old Badger barrel on hand, ready to mount.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garrett1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	259973

Name:	Garrett2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	259974

Name:	Garrett3.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	259975

Boolit Buddy
    No picture yet. I just mailed a down payment to William T. Goodman! Couldn't stand looking at this thread any longer knowing full well I didn't have a Shiloh in the herd.

Gentlemen,

last week I bought this 54 Shiloh Sharps online for 1600 euros, Farmingdale made. Auction just started, and I bid three minutes later... Some folks said it was expensive, but I'm convinced it would have been sold the very day. Shiloh rifles are pretty scarce here.
    It arrived this morning, and I'm a little disappointed. Not as new as I thought, it's used, but still pretty! I'm more bothered by slight rust bites after the chamber...
    I'll shoot it as soon as I receive the BAco mold I bought for my Garrett cavalry carbine, it's been stuck in customs for two months.
    I bought yesterday another Sharps, I found a Palmetto Gemmer replica 100% unused, but which needs a little work. Don't know if I'll keep it long. I'll send you pics if someone is interested...

Ps: sorry for this silly nag behind!

It seems to have been used a lot....

Boolit Master
    I certainly would not be in a very good mood after seeing that on a rifle I purchased!

Boolit Buddy
    Can that be welded up?

Of course I fear it will be hard to find. So we'll try to weld it up...

Boolit Buddy
    You can probably buy a new plate from Shiloh. It probably fits the breech block tight fairly tight and may be difficult to remove. What does the back of the barrel look like? It may be just as bad.

Boolit Master
    One of my IABs looked a bit like that ,I just made a new plate (the original was cracked & micro fissured too) from hardenable steel ,and pulled and corrected the chamber bushing ...........I dont think blackpowder causes that kind of gascutting ..... Ballistite did in mine......Incidentally ,if you make and use plastic cartridges with just a flash hole ,that doesn happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    You can probably buy a new plate from Shiloh. It probably fits the breech block tight fairly tight and may be difficult to remove. What does the back of the barrel look like? It may be just as bad.
    I asked Shiloh, I'm waiting for an answer. But I don't expect much out of it.
    The back of the barrel is in good shape, very tiny marks of erosion.

Boolit Master
    You will find the back of the barrel/sealing face is actually a tight fitting bushing in the chamber ,which can be pulled back and refaced ,or removed and replaced......Just needs a correct expanding puller which is easily made .........the "plate" is actually a "Robbins patented gascheck" and originally is a fairly loose fit in the block......however some are modified to take an "O" ring ,dont know why ,but some people arent happy unless they are "improving "on past perfection.

Are you speaking about the floating chamber? I assume there's one, and it's stuck.
    Pedersoli makes an extractor for that purpose.
    Still no response from Shiloh, I'll rely on my gunsmith to fix that.

Boolit Master
    As to the Robbins gascheck plate ,anyone with a lathe can make one ,although I think the Robbins design isnt actually doing what was claimed .....the main thing the plate does is self adjust,not by being a floating fit ,but by fouling building up in any clearance.......Anyway ,if you use plastic gas seal pieces instead of paper cartridges ,any gas cutting is completely eliminated .......if I had that gun ,Id just weld up the divot out of the plate with TIG using stainless filler .......stainless because if the plate is high carbon or ally steel ,stainless wont hydrogen crack .(316/310/312 stainless will weld just about any ferrous metal without cracking.....must be aware of preheat /weld temp rise.)

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast