RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 92 looks like I got a keeper

Vendor Sponsor

Rossi 92 looks like I got a keeper

As many know I was asking about a Rossi 92 in 38/357 .
    Got one in today. Wood to metal fit and finish is very good.
    Trigger is awesome.
    Now for the shooting part
    Attachment 172301
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    looks like a shooter, where's the pics of the gun though!?

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, it'll do! Mine needed a bit of windage adjustment as well. I think yours won't need much. Hmmm...my load is 3.5grs BE.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Perma-Banned

Good...glad it works well.

Mine, has been AWESOME.

Boolit Master

Got one cheap from a friend ffl in 45LC that gad a couple 'issues' that turned out to be pretty simple fixes. I REALLY like the rifle and it too is a shooter.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Very cool! Love it when they shoot that good out of the box.
    I've got a Ruger mark 3 target model that I think is going to end up for sale so I can get some seed money to pick one up in .357 to go with my .44.
    They are just too much fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats. Which variation did you get? I have the 20" stainless round barrel and his bigger brother in 44. The 38/357 is lots of fun. Light loads in 38 are also great for young and new shooters. Mine has already introduced 3 kids to center fire rifles. The smiles were priceless. With 357 mag loads, it's a different beast. My son got his first deer with the M92 and a cast 357 mag load. IF my son manages to talk me out of that rifle, I'll have to buy another one.

Vendor Sponsor

KCcactus
    its a 16" Stainless version
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I'd like to p/u a 38/357 lever action looks like some good fun. I was thinking Henry but I'd go Rossi too if stainless.

Boolit Mold
    I've gone a roundabout route with mine. I started out with a Mare's leg. Up here in Canada, we don't have to jump through any hoops like my American friends with ATF paperwork for an SBR; I ordered a model 92 stock from Boyd's on sale for $55. and slapped it on my Ranch Hand. Now I've got the world's shortest 92, and absolutely love it!

It's FAR and away my most frequently used rifle. I'm on a Search & Rescue team, and where I live, we get a lot of calls into the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. We have a HUGE problem with cougars & Black Bears; big enough that our team does not deploy unless there's a rifle or shotgun present for every four members. I carry the Rossi in a short tactical scabbard mounted on my day pack, and can get it out and in action VERY quickly, just reaching behind my head.

I worked up a good, hot round with 180gr. hard cast bullets in .357 cases that should be a showstopper for any cat, or bear up to probably 400lbs or so. Since the vast majority of bears in our area run 2-250lbs, I expect a decently placed shot will turn out the lights right handy. I've taken several coyotes with this load out to about 60 yards and only one managed to take even one step after hitting him. That one was trotting away, so he folded up in 2 or 3 paces too.

For all the negative stuff I heard about these guns before I got mine, I was expecting it to be nothing more than a range toy...which it really was with the shortie stock on it. With the full stock, it became a very good shooting bush carbine that I wouldn't trade for anything...except maybe another one
    (BTW, the load I'm using is 13.9 gr. of H4227 behind a 180gr. hardcast truncated cone. It chronoed at 1495fps. it's 2 or 3 tenths of a grain over what Hodgson specs for a max load, so I'd load UP to that, don't start there)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Smoke - nice to hear that you are pleased with your 38/357 Rossi. I like the Rossi M92's also - have three and they do a good job with the bores in Brazil
    * 24" brass frame, 45LC - below average fit to finish (FTF) that I redid - 15,000 plus BP reloads, no leading and no broken rifle parts
    * 20 brass frame, 45LC - FTF got better - 2-3,000 reloads and no issues with the rifle
    * The 3rd one, 20" 38/357 blued came last week. FTF and bluing is excellent ... the rifle is now at the gunsmith's to be relined to a 32-20. The only unknown mod is ... will the extractor claw tip have to be lengthened with a good probability it won't. Otherwise the 32-20 rounds feed to the tube - extract from the tube onto the lifter - chamber and hopefully will lever extract with no mod
    I wanted an original '92 as a shooter 32-20, not a collector. All the '92s for sale that have an 85% bore and are not 'wreaks'... your looking at $1500 or plus. And no, I don't like Marlins - either originals or the new 32-20 model
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I am looking at getting two Rossi 92's but the threads in the receiver need to be chased. I don't know the thread diameter but i think the pitch is 27. Not sure though. Can any of you help me with this problem? They are both 45 LC caliber.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Boolit Buddy
    I'm headed to Buds Gun Shop after reading this post.

Picked up 2 Rossi/357 for the twin grandsons.... Consecutive serial #s... Shootin' 38s so far.... Fun. Captain
    "Like cool water to a thirsty soul is good news from a distant land." Prov. 25:25

Get 'em while you can, Rossi 92's are getting hard to find. They told me a lot of models have been discontinued.

I recently bought an R92-52011, stainless, 24" octagonal barrel, .45 Colt. A wonderful rifle and a great shooter! I wanted the blued model 52001, but nobody has one of those anywhere, except the one I found locally with crooked sights.

I Love my Interarms Rossi 92

I was lucky to get a Rossi (Interarms) round barrel saddle ring carbine in 38/357. The early Interarms Rossis were extremely well made and the fit and finish is wonderful. I THINK this one is from the early 80's.
    Shoots great also. H&G #51 w/ 4.1 gr 231 in 38 brass. Same in 357 except 5.1 gr 231.
    Shoot it all day long with 38's.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the post! I've been looking at the Rossi's for a long time, but haven't been able to pull the trigger on one yet, because I just WANT an older Marlin. You bring me closer to pulling the trigger on one myself, especially since I played with a 16" bbl. SS .357 in the LGS. It was very smooth, right from the factory, and I came close to getting the checkbook out on that one. Now, I'm sorry I didn't.

Only thing really keeping me from pulling the trigger now, is I just KNOW I'll finally find a Marlin if I write a check for the Rossi! My luck just seems to run that way (sigh). I'd rather have an American made product because I like being a prig about that, but now, I'm pretty much like the old buzzard sitting on a limb, thinking "If something doesn't die pretty soon, I'm gonna' go KILL sumthin'!" I should have gotten a Marlin a long time ago, probably (sigh). Too soon old, too late smart, I guess!

Boolit Master
    I to am looking for a Rossi, I can not locate any and I work for one of the larger stores.
    Looking for the R92-51001 or R92-51203 or 51003
    Last edited by hylander; 08-25-2016 at 03:12 AM.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    R92 -52xxx ?... there are no model numbers that are R92-51xxx
    Contact Steve Young @ Steve's Gunzs ... http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.ph...&cPath=10_12_4
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Get 'em while you can, Rossi 92's are getting hard to find. They told me a lot of models have been discontinued. I recently bought an R92-52011, stainless, 24" octagonal barrel, .45 Colt. A wonderful rifle and a great shooter! I wanted the blued model 52001, but nobody has one of those anywhere, except the one I found locally with crooked sights.
    Given the state of things here in Brazil and the almost bankrupt Taurus, if you find one of their guns that WORKS and you like, buy and keep it! Every year less and less models are put on the market and more and more taken from it. That said, I regret not getting a 94 revolver (9shot 22) and another 62 pump rifle (have old one from Rossi, made in 1987-89 probably).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast