RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much range scrap before you start making ingots

Boolit Mold
    Thank you lightman for the words of wisdom. I like taking pictures, so yes I will post some once I get going.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7210033.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	172370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7210031.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	172371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7210032.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	172372

That's my home casting set-up. A turkey fryer, propane, and scrap lead. The Lyman ingot molds produce nice 1 pound individual ingots or you can pour them level across the top to produce a 5 pound connected ingot. Steel muffin tins can also be used.

Name:	P4110008.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	172373

After the above batch was done, I realized the turkey fryer base was too weak to hold that much weight. That dutch oven was holding about 100 pounds, it was wiggly, You don't want,,--can't believe the mess that would make if it tipped over.

Name:	P4110009.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	172374

I at least doubled the uprights that hold the bottom of the pot ring and burner. Welded in 3 more pieces of ˝ thick rods.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the reply, this kind of the setup I'm looking at doing. However, i am still at a cross road of either a turkey fryer like yours or go with the propane camp stove path. Again thank you for responding. Mark

Boolit Master
    go the turkey fryer burner.... if you can afford it. I use one. It gets the pot good and hot.... keeps it hot. I smelt in batches of 65 pounds per pot. that is a lot. Pot has a large surface area so all the crud that floats spreads out and easy to skim off.

Boolit Master
    I went with a heavy duty turkey fryer setup. You can get them cheap here after crawfish season, they go on clearance. Just open up the box and see how sturdy it is before you pick a brand.

Boolit Grand Master

A heavy built turkey fryer is a sound investment, that won't have to be replaced. A camp stove will get overloaded and the wire grid will sag, making it useless.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    A heavy built turkey fryer is a sound investment, that won't have to be replaced. A camp stove will get overloaded and the wire grid will sag, making it useless.
    I see one listed at AgraSupply for $40 (no link since I'm not sure if they are allowed, but you can google the below I'm sure if your interested in looking it up. Thinking that and a roughly 2 gallon dutch oven should be good enough for a one man operation who isn't in a hurry.
    (Carolina Cooker® 12" Fryer Stand and Burner, 60 Lb. Capacity)

Boolit Mold
    Well got all the basic items today to star making ingots. Already melted to first 20 pounds of range scrap, got roughly 15 pounds of wedges. Will post pictures tomorrow at some point

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That fryer will work perfect if you rig up an external support for your lead melter. BTU loks solid, just worried about the "60lb capacity"

75% return for range scrap seems pretty good IMHO, don't forget you can sell the scrap jackets to the yard and trade for more lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    and if you do lift it to pour it into ingot molds make sure it's caught on video tape,,,, cause I wanna see that.

Ooops, does that mean I'm doing something wrong?

Seriously, though, 100 lbs is about my ideal smelting batch size. My shoulders and back get very tired during my normal 200+ lb batches. Larger batches probably produce a more consistent alloy but 100 will usually give you some consistency.
    Gather your gear and fire that baby up!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    Ok so as posted late last week I got all my stuff to start melting down all the range scrap that I have picked up over the last couple weeks (roughly 350 pounds)

Run down on the equipment that I got includes the following:

Turkey Fryer Burner (Carolina Cooker brand) w/60 pound capacity $40.00
    1 gallon Dutch Oven (Carolina Cooker brand) $20.00
    2 scone/wedge frying pan (Carolina Cooker brand) $13.00/each
    Misc spoons and the like $20.00 (couldn't find these items at the local goodwill type locations)

Pictures shows the 300 pounds I melted down Sunday. One big learning lesson was that I'm not doing this again when it is 95 degrees out with a 105 degree heat index, it was flat out brutal.

Of the 300 pounds I got about 60 pounds of dirt and copper jackets recovered for a total of 240 pounds of lead ingots.

Name:	IMG_7383 copy.jpg 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	172928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7399 copy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	172930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7401 copy.jpg 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	172931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7409 copy.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	172933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7411.JPG 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	172934
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7383.JPG   IMG_7388.JPG   IMG_7389.JPG   IMG_7396 copy.jpg   IMG_7405 copy.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Couple more pictures:

Name:	IMG_7414 copy.jpg 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	172935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7420 copy.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	172936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7429.JPG 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	172937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7422.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	172938

Boolit Master
    LOL I think everyone learns that lesson about the heat outside when melting range scrap down the first time. Heck I run in and out of the house to keep myself cool while casting. Slow and steady gets the boolits made either way.

Boolit Grand Master

Not so much a how much, but three things have to happen at the same time : 1.) I have to have some free time , 2.) it's not 107 in the shade and 3.) it's not raining . For these three conditions to all coincide...in South Louisiana , it's like an alignment of the stars, it doesn't happen often.
    But when it does happen that's when I do it.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy

I did my first session ever a few months ago in a dutch oven on a propane burner. Seemed like 40lb at a time (final yield in ingots) was all I could get into it even heaping. I did about 500lbs leisurely over a few days working off and on and probably wouldn't set up again until I had 200 lbs. If I was out of lead to cast with I wouldn't think twice before I did a 40lb session though.

Boolit Grand Master

Good Job! Looks like you are off to a good start! Enjoyed the pictures too.

Banned
    the thing to remember with smelting(not casting) is Bigger is better in regards to a burner. You REALLY need the BTU's to get range scrap to melt in a reasonable amount of time. the Dirt and **** all works as insulation.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Not so much a how much, but three things have to happen at the same time : 1.) I have to have some free time , 2.) it's not 107 in the shade and 3.) it's not raining . For these three conditions to all coincide...in South Louisiana , it's like an alignment of the stars, it doesn't happen often.
    But when it does happen that's when I do it.
    Gary
    Good Grief, Gary - I didn't know Red Stick was in Southern Louisiana. I thought it was RedNeck country, not Coonie Country! (FIL was a red-headed Irish Coonie, from New Iberia...)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12