RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much range scrap before you start making ingots

Boolit Mold

How much range scrap before you start making ingots

Hello,

I know this is the kind of question that can only really be answered by the person asking it, but....

How much range scrap on average do you have on hand before you melt it down into ingots. I just started collecting it and I'm up to just about 108 pounds.

I still have to collect a cast iron pot, heat source, molds and all the other stuff that goes along with this so I am in no hurry.

For your first melt, that's a respectable amount to do. Start with that, you will learn something each time you do it...like what not to do next time or what to do that will make it easier.
    You're on the first rung of a tall ladder, take your time, one step at a time, be safe above all...read the warnings regarding personal protective gear because hot lead is non forgiving.
    Here is a link to a thread I posted some time back regarding making ingots...New Casters…Lets Blend Pb & make INGOTS

Good luck and happy casting...OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I think I did my first batch with around 200lbs. Enough that I wasn't just wasted propane trying to heat up air and dross.

Is this actually range scrap with jackets etc still in it? Or just mined lead from the berm? You'll lose a good amount of that weight to dross.

50lbs of lead actually lasts me quite longer than I initially planned in my head.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I started with half a 5 gal. bucket full. Now have way over a ton.

Get the rest of your equipment together and go for it.

I use nothing more than a small Coleman single burner stove, only does small amounts but works for me, you may well wish to go bigger. I live in an area where Amish are at and white gas/Coleman fuel is available at the pump for $4.00 a gallon, not many have this available to them so use propane.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Mold
    DerekP,

Thank you for the response. It's a combination of jacketed and plain lead bullets, going from memory I think it's maybe slightly heavy on the plain lead side. I figured you loose some to the jackets but since it's all free except for my time collecting it, I'm not to worried about the lose to the copper

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the response OS OK.

I've been doing a lot of reading and YouTube video watching.

Vendor Sponsor

Personally I would collect all the lead I can ..
    Then when ready to smelt do several small batches over several days .. you will be real surprised what you learn
    and the wasted gas is not really wasted if you learn and don't have to redo because of errors or refinements..

Make absolutely sure your lead is dry .. Moisture hides in lead .
    Start pot with lead already in the pot .. by bringing the lead up to temp in the pot you will eliminate some/most of hidden moisture .. do not add scrap to hot lead pot unless you are SURE its dry
    just some tips to help get you started
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Mold

Boolit Master

You've probably accumulated enough for a 'first melt'. I mined our club's outdoor pistol berm until we changed the range layout with an average recovery rate of 60-65 lbs 9-11 Bhn alloy from every 100 lbs of raw range scrap. Recovery procedure consisted of raking down the face of the berm, shoveling the loose dirt, bullets, and debris into a coarse sifter then picking out the big pieces of rock, clay bird, etc. before dumping the sifter into a 5-gal. bucket. After that it's just melt, flux, skim off the trash, flux, again, skim again, and pour into ingots. I figure it'll take a couple years before our reconstructed berm accumulates enough lead to make mining worthwhile again...but I've got 100 lbs of ingot and something over 300 lbs of 'raw' to get by on until then.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by talkglock View Post

Your welcome...I started almost the same way you are doing, along with an old fella I know who let me cast in his shop. That's where I got 'bit' by the casting bug.
    You tube will definitely show some 'how to's' but it shows lots a lot of 'how not to do's' too.
    Insure that your burner and pot will hold all the weight your going to load into it before you start.

Welcome to our delightful madness...OS OK

With range scrap and Full Metal Jackets you must insure that they are smashed with a cracked jacket or snip them with side cutters so they don't build pressure and fizz out or explode in the pot...use a cover on the pot doing range scrap.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Save the copper jackets and sort out any steel and take to scrap yard, Last time we smelted range scrape we ended up with 3000lbs between 4 of us, We then sorted out the steel from the copper jackets and had 20 gal of copper, Eddie and Duke took that to the scrape yard and traded for 4 of the big isotope cores, plus enough cash to pay for all of our propane.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Spring and fall , it's going to get hot today . You heard the saying the best time to plant a oak tree was 20 years ago , next best time is right now . Get the kettle full and cook it . All kidding aside be safe .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Spring and fall , it's going to get hot today . You heard the saying the best time to plant a oak tree was 20 years ago , next best time is right now . Get the kettle full and cook it . All kidding aside be safe .
    Lol I've heard the same saying for investing.....20 years ago would've been better but it's never too late to start. Those small batches of lead will quickly accumulate in to a nice stock pile.

Boolit Master
    A pot can be made from an old 20 pound propane cylinder. Screw out the valve, fill the tank with water, and use a zip-cut tool to cut a larger hole in the top of the tank. Next, dump out the water, lay the tank on its side and cut around the circumference close to the "shoulder" on the tank. A makeshift burner for running the pot can be made using a Tiger torch, a 45 degree steel, galvanized or cast pluming elbow and 4 cement building blocks. Place the elbow on the ground, held in place by the 4 blocks. Set the tank over the hole in the middle of the blocks and place the tiger torch in the lower end of the elbow. Fill (or whatever) the pot with scrap, light the torch and away you go. Be prepared to dip the melted metal out of the tank---you for sure will not lift it to pour! Have fun!
    R.D.M.

Banned

and if you do lift it to pour it into ingot molds make sure it's caught on video tape,,,, cause I wanna see that.

What I did for my scrap melts (range scrap, wheel weights, whatever) is to wait until I have just a little too much to fit into my pot and add that little extra as it starts melting. As air soace in the bottom of the pot gets filled with liquid metal the scrap above slides down a bit. I do let the pot solidify before adding anything else once the melted portion is less than a couple inches below the top of the solid portion to ensure there is time to drive off any water before it gets to the melt.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Grand Master

One notice that's common mostly to range scrap, is to be especially watchful of a live case mixed with the berm harvest.
    If un-noticed it will ruin you day in an unimaginable way.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    A good heavy lid for you melting pot will help keep heat in making the lead melt quicker.

It may also help in the case of trapped moisture, by slowing the tinsel fairy down.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I do'nt have a real big smelting pot so after abot 150 lbs I smelt it and pour ingots. That fills my pot about twice.

Boolit Grand Master

It really depends on what kind of pot and burner that you have. 108 pounds is a good place to start. Its not Rocket Science but like most things, there is a learning curve. Starting small is probably a good idea. The two areas that I have had trouble with when I started was not having enough heat to melt what was in my pot and not having enough ingot molds to keep things moving. As the ingot mold is used it continues to get hot and progressively takes longer to cool. With my current set up I can melt about 400# of lead and I run 7 of the Lyman style molds. With this set up things move pretty quickly. Give some though to how you set things up and think about the process before you start. I perfer to have things about waist high to avoid having to stoop very much. I also have an old sheet of plywood under my set up to avoid having spilled lead on the concrete. Also, think about safety. I smelt in long pants worn over boots and a long sleeve shirt with work gloves and safety glasses. Cotton is a good material for this, but any natural fiber will work. Good Luck to you. Be sure to post some picture when you start. We like pictures!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast