Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee two cavity H&G clone issues

Boolit Buddy

Lee two cavity H&G clone issues

I finally got the mold to drop bullets. They still aren't the correct size nor are they round per say. I will fix that I just want it to cast a clean bullet. Right now it's casting with the edges of the driving bands rounded. What could cause that?

Boolit Master
    Not sure about Lee molds but usually heat and tin addition would fix this.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Dirty lead, "cold" lead, dirty mold, contaminated mold???

I'm not here to put down LEE 2-cav molds but like the 6-cav better!

That's probably not a "clone" either?

Always helps to tell people what exact mold and boolit you are talking about, also?????
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry I could've sworn I mentioned the mold model. It's a 452-200 swc. I agree the two cavities aren't like the 6 cavities. I've had much better luck with the 6 cavity molds. I'm using coww with probably 1% tin I've tried different heats on mold and alloy. But I still haven't got it.

I have the same issue, but it's rounded shoulders... but only part of the shoulder. And is is not specific to any particular half of the mould. I have tried quite a few things to correct this, and I have managed to get some pretty good boolits, but not consistently.

- I really think the ticket is going to be hot lead, and a not-blazing-hot mould. I get lots of issues with that mould when I run it too hot.

Wish I could give you a gauranteed fix, but I have not had much time casting lately. My job keeps gettng in the way! First-World Problems!
    I say we try it... What's the worst that could happen?

Boolit Buddy
    One variable to consider if you use a bottom pour furnace is distance from the spout. Hot alloy that drops a little further can help with fill out.

Boolit Master

It sounds like you need to cast faster and perhaps try a hot plate to pre-heat the mold.

I have that Lee H&G #68 mold with 6 cavities. While my casts are square and fully filled out (I run my alloy at 735F and heat the mold on a hot plate) the boolits are out of round by .003-.004. They come out of the sizer within half a thou of round and closer on size.

Stu
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Boolit Buddy
    Well stu since I made this thread I have played with the mold and made it drop bullets at .452-.453. Which while it is much better I'm still unhappy with how it of round it is. But I put that aside as the driving bands size fully as apparent by the markings that my sizing die is doing what's it's supposed too. I loaded some up and shot some and so far accuracy is horrendous but I've only tried about 30 rounds with different loads to see if I could get a start. So far they where all horribly inaccurate. I may play with the mold a bit more and see if I can't make it a flat base mold as I tend to like flat base bullets just for ease of lubricating and I personally think they load easier and size better. But that's just my opinion.

A few months ago I bought a STI Lawman and sighted it in at 50 feet. Here are the targets from that and I was using the Lee #68's. I don't seem to have any problems with it. Also, and perhaps this has something to do with the inherent accuracy of the bullet, the 6 cavity mold seems to be a slightly different shape, more toward the H&G fullness and it has a flat, not bevel base.

Stu
    De gustibus non est disputandum