RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: good mold for Ruger .41 mag BH

Boolit Buddy

good mold for Ruger .41 mag BH

I just acquired a slightly used ruger black hawk in 41 Rem mag. I am looking for a good mold hopefully a TL without a gas check for plinking loads. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA H-2

Boolit Master

The Lyman 410459's always done well for me./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    There are several moulds that will work well for your .41. Lyman 41028, 41032, 410459, and 41026. RCBS has the 41-210-KT, and Lee has a 185 grain I believe. These are all plainbase. If you want a gascheck mould, Lyman 410610. Saeco has a couple more, but I don't have their catalog handy. You'll need Saeco handles to fit theirs. RCBS handles will fit all the others.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

ADMIN

sounds like we need a GB on a nice 41 mag 6 cavity mold....

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    A GB on a .41 210gr SWC, of Keith Style, was done a couple of years ago. Came in a little fat, but works well. Don't know whether you could get up enough interest now to make a GB worthwhile, but the only way to find out is try. On second thought, you might post an "is anyone interested" thread in the GB section and see how many bites you get.

Regards,

Stew
    Post #500, half way to a boolit!
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Buddy

41 Mould

My one and only 41 caliber mould is the Lyman 410459. SWC plain base profile works great for me for the loads I use in Ruger BH and a 657 S&W. For the most part I load them over 13.5 gr of Bluedot. It shoots well and doesn't beat up the guns or me too much.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that the often mentioned Lyman 410459 and the Saeco #417 are excellent plain-based SWC moulds for the .41 Mag. Gas checks are not needed for revolver boolits (they're getting REALLY scarce in .41, anyway). If the boolit fits the revolver properly, is the proper hardness for the velocity of the load and you use a good lube, you just don't need 'checks.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Banned

Hatch, I've been working on a 41 mag mould recently just didn't know what kind of interest there would be.

I have a Lee 210gr SWC and a 250 WFN that I'm trying in my 41 mag contender.

I have cast up a bunch of 210gr's for my friends 41 mag ruger, he likes them, says they shoot well.

ADMIN

I would be interested in 2 of them if it was around 210 to 240 SWC or TC style
    I guess we might need to start a thread.
    I don't want to honcho it...

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    sounds like we need a GB on a nice 41 mag 6 cavity mold....

Had one about 8-10 months ago. A 413-260-K honchoed by 475/480.

Mine seems to be doing well with 7 grains Unique, sized to .412" in an opened up Lee push through.

If you want to try some, send me a PM and I'll see what I can arrange.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Grand Master

I use two Lee's; TL410-175-SWC and TL410-210-SWC and the RCBS 41-210-SWC. The two Lee's are for mild and medium loads and the RCBS is used for magnum loads. All three work well for what I use them for. The RCBS would do just as well for all three velocity ranges but the 175 SWC saves on lead and the 210 SWC 6 cavity mould really casts them fast. The RCBS would get my nod if I was only to have one mould. At the cost of the Lee's one has to ask "why" though.

Larry Gibson