Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different Plinker for 30-30

Boolit Master

A different Plinker for 30-30

I just tried an experiment based on a comment I saw here. Someone commented on another thread that they had used 32 pistol wadcutters in a 30-30. I got to thinking and decided to try something similar.

90 grain 32 caliber Lead SWC (from Hornady, 0.314 diameter) with 4-5 grains of 700X. Tried a ladder of loads and found my 30-30 seemed to like ~4.7 grains.

With 4.7 grains of 700X, boolit seated to the the flat edge of the SWC (just the pointed part outside the case) I got 1277 fps with a SD of only 8.6 fps. Once I zeroed it, It was accurate enough to hit small gongs at 100 yards (small as in 3-4"). This is with open sights on my Win 94-- and for me and my old eyes hitting those small gongs is my standard of excellence.

here's the neat part: (1) low price, $32 for 500, (2) The .314 boolit chambers very nicely, but is so big in diameter that it can be loaded in as-fired cases without resizing! I literally took the fired cases, deprimed, and reloaded without any sizing whatsoever, and got the above results. Apparently, the expansion of my cases when they spring back a little from firing puts the neck at about 0.311, which lets me seat another boolit without resizing. And-- for those wondering, I was loading these in the magazine and had no trouble with the recoil (small anyway) pushing the boolits into the cases.

So, this appears to be a pretty good idea for plinking loads with minimal hard-working of the brass.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master
    Good post. Interesting.

Boolit Master
    Back when 22's were impossible to find, I did the very same thing, but I used bullseye powder, and lubed them with juniors 411 lube. Accuracy was not great, but it was good for pop cans!

Boolit Master
    Gotta try this. Bought one of Mihec's double ended wad cutter for use in 32-20. Never thought about use in the 30-30. I have a couple of single shots that this would be great in.
    Thank you for the info.

Boolit Master
    Guys have been using those in Mosin Nagant for years.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using the Lee 311-93 with 5 grains of 700x in all my 30 caliber rifles.
    super cheap,super fun,easy to reload

I use Bullseye with the Lee 32 cal. .314" 90 gr. TL SWC cast from 50/50 and two light coats of Alox JPW lube once before and once after sizing. I use 3.0 grs.in the 7.62 x 39 and 3.5 grs. in my 30-30 pump gun,Sav. 99 in 300 Sav. and two Mosin rifle. The SKS an Mosin bullets get sized to .314" an .311" for all the 30 cal. US rifles.

50 yds. with the irons

Nice write up Hick. Looks like a lot of fun to shoot. I think I will try it out this summer!

Brilliant. I have the Lee 90 TLSWC mould and two Win 94 30-30s. Looks like a squirrel load to me! I'll try it out. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

I've got to try this. Just picked up a used Lee mold, and a Mossberg 464 lever gun.
    Thanks for the tip.

Yep it works!

I have had those to the range twice this month with my new Win 94ae loaded with 4.5 grains of Red Dot and that Lee .314 90 grain bullet.

Rifling starts right at the end of the brass in mine so I have to set them fairly deep, but thanks to that long .30-30 neck I am still not down past the neck.

1 to 2" group at 25 and 50 yards, certainly good enough for critters.
    And I am thinking more and more about some kind of a sight on that girl.

I will fire 3 and will all be in a nice tight cluster, then I'll fire 3 and they are more coffee cup sized.
    I know it is operator error.

Red Dot perhaps, small short one just over the bolt. Possibly a peep sight.
    Me and iron sights are just not that good.

But, no matter how you cut it those are fun, easy on the shoulder, easy on the wallet, and easy on the ears. Hardly hear em go off compared to the other guys.

Boolit Master

I made similar 30/30 loads for my kids when they were leaning to shoot. Bullseye powder or Red Dot were useful powders.

Other candidate cases for such projects are almost any of the 30 calibre military or civilian cases.

By the way, a SWC or WC is a great small game load too if your game and fish regs allow the use of a center fire rifle.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I just tried an experiment based on a comment I saw here. Someone commented on another thread that they had used 32 pistol wadcutters in a 30-30. I got to thinking and decided to try something similar.

90 grain 32 caliber Lead SWC (from Hornady, 0.314 diameter) with 4-5 grains of 700X. Tried a ladder of loads and found my 30-30 seemed to like ~4.7 grains.

With 4.7 grains of 700X, boolit seated to the the flat edge of the SWC (just the pointed part outside the case) I got 1277 fps with a SD of only 8.6 fps. Once I zeroed it, It was accurate enough to hit small gongs at 100 yards (small as in 3-4"). This is with open sights on my Win 94-- and for me and my old eyes hitting those small gongs is my standard of excellence.

here's the neat part: (1) low price, $32 for 500, (2) The .314 boolit chambers very nicely, but is so big in diameter that it can be loaded in as-fired cases without resizing! I literally took the fired cases, deprimed, and reloaded without any sizing whatsoever, and got the above results. Apparently, the expansion of my cases when they spring back a little from firing puts the neck at about 0.311, which lets me seat another boolit without resizing. And-- for those wondering, I was loading these in the magazine and had no trouble with the recoil (small anyway) pushing the boolits into the cases.

So, this appears to be a pretty good idea for plinking loads with minimal hard-working of the brass.
    Hick,
    Nice! Thank you for the post.
    I have to run the 90 gr. Hornady's through a Lee .311" push through sizing die to get them to chamber in my rifles. I had thought about neck turning some brass so that I could shoot them at .314" dia. Your post has inspired me to give that a try.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Moderator Emeritus

another fun load is 2 .311 roundballs. One loaded all the way in the neck the other loaded 1/2 way out to give it a round nose profile so it feeds in Levers. Surprisingly accurate for a multiball load at 25 and 50 yards.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    Yep... I use them too... That lee crimp die will crimp the case into the boolet wherever you want. I have lots of options (boolets) but little time.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    [...] 90 grain 32 caliber Lead SWC (from Hornady, 0.314 diameter) with 4-5 grains of 700X. Tried a ladder of loads and found my 30-30 seemed to like ~4.7 grains/ [...]
    Interesting. I checked the Hornady website but they (no longer?) list that pistol bullet?
    Midway has it "Unavailable - limited production". Any suggestions for sourcing?

----------

Edit: I emailed Hornady and just heard back; unfortunately that item is discontinued.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 07-27-2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: update

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Interesting. I checked the Hornady website but they (no longer?) list that pistol bullet?
    Midway has it "Unavailable - limited production". Any suggestions for sourcing?
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...n1prhnbv8ck3u6
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Thought of it but never bought them. I have used the round balls to great success in 3030 and played with double round balls, good round up to 50m can't remember the powder weight, used trail boss and unique, both worked first ball on the pin next ball 3 to 4 inches low.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Buddy
    Resizing to .311 is a good idea. I used shoot a lot of resized 32 cal wadcutters in my Contender. Great plinking round.
    I seated them flush with the case mouth.

Boolit Master
    I don't resize them, per se. I just load them as they are. But-- I have pulled one after loading and found that putting them in the case actually sizes them down a little-- more like .312. They chamber good and shoot good like that, so I'm happy.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast