WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Need a barrel for a Wincdhester 1892 Carbine in 25-20

Boolit Bub

Need a barrel for a Wincdhester 1892 Carbine in 25-20

I wound up with a '92 Win in 25-20 with a messed up barrel. Was told it had a "jugged" chamber. Measured the chamber and it seemed ok. Loaded some 60gr. lead bullets over 3 gr. Trail Boss and a Win small pistol primer in a new unfired case from Starline that had been necked down. When fired the neck, sholder, and body of the case was blown out and the bore looked pretty bad. What would cause a "jugged chamber"

I want to get a new barrel for it, but where? I've sent 3 letters and two emails to Homestead in Tucson. My letters and emails remnain un answered. I have also thought of having the barrel lined.

What would you suggest? Where to get a new barrel and/or where to get the barrel lined?

Thanks for your assistance,
    Bob

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Relining would be the least expensive way to go, and preserves the exterior markings and patina.

John Taylor relined an old 1894 Winchester for me which had a shot out barrel and I've been well pleased with it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

What condition and how long is the rest of the barrel? Is shortening it and rechambering an option?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I had a 1894 Marlin in 25/20 that had badly eroded chamber. My gunsmith bored out chamber and put insert plug in it and rechambered. It had pretty decent rifling, I had about 1" of freebore
    on insert. Was no target gun, but split no more cases. Smith said was caused by improper cleaning, not shooting.

Boolit Bub

need an address or phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Relining would be the least expensive way to go, and preserves the exterior markings and patina.

John Taylor relined an old 1894 Winchester for me which had a shot out barrel and I've been well pleased with it.

I appreciate your help. I've been thinking about re lining the barrel. I have a 32-20 that has been relined, 2 40-65 have been relined and a 22 LR. All seem to work pretty well.

Thanks a lot! Bob Maerdian

Boolit Bub
    Hello Wayne,

The outside appears fine! The barrel and chamber are toast, really bad!

I sure appreciate your help!

Bob Maerdian

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I had a 1894 Marlin in 25/20 that had badly eroded chamber. My gunsmith bored out chamber and put insert plug in it and rechambered. It had pretty decent rifling, I had about 1" of freebore
    on insert. Was no target gun, but split no more cases. Smith said was caused by improper cleaning, not shooting.
    The OP's barrel condition sounds like this wouldn't be the right option for him. But yes, it can be a good option for someone whose bore is good enough for the join to be covered by the case. I think covered by the shoulder is probably best, as it would reduce any tendency for the join to impede extraction.

But it is important - not just a little important, but very - that the insert mustn't come out, and permit you to fire an unsupported cartridge. Remember that someone might fire even a .25-20 until it is very hot. I'd silver solder it, which means removing the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    I've sent Homestead two letters and two emails and two phone calls to Jacquline with no response to the letter or email. The phone call talks seem to have been ignored.

Bob