MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most accurate 22LR

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    accurate current production off the shelf rifle, your looking at a cooper or an anshutz.
    Bingo. Have owned Anschutz, Coopers, and Kimbers (now out of production). As well as CZ's and Savages. So now if you are looking for a currently made sporter its either Anschutz or Cooper. CZ's are good, but still not as capable as the other 2.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 07-13-2016 at 11:36 PM.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Well here is a oldy but goodie.

What is the most accurate off the shelf rifle today?
    Anschutz, Walther, Feinwerkbau, Grunig & Elminger. . .you didn't ask how HIGH the shelf was. We've got the Rio Olympics kicking off here soon - tune in and see what the TRUE nerds are shooting.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    Available as new today ? Well that puts a damper on things. Anschutz is still making good rifles as far as I can tell but I haven't put my hands on one recently. The CZ's really are good rifles. An acquaintance has both an old Anschutz and a CZ and I have to say that they are both incredibly accurate.
    Now, if I could open that criteria up to include some out of production rifles, .....the list would get a lot longer.

Boolit Master
    This is my Anschutz that I use for the Tuesday night prone league, 40 shots for record. The first picture is with iron sights and long bloop tube, and the second picture is with the scope mounted and both short and long bloop tubes on the bench. I use the short bloop tube with the scope. If you look you can see a barrel tuner on both bloop tubes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8645 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	172256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8652 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	172257

For the most accurate new off the shelf 22lr rifles today I'd be looking at:

Top shelf/high $$$
    Anschutz
    Remington custom shop
    Cooper

Low $$$:
    Cz's
    Savages
    Custom 10-22's

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Very interesting but not supportive of the most accurate: Plenty of makes and models but ... Not One Target to support accuracy! Therefore - so far this thread is worthless!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Of course a great many claims are made on line which are not strictly factual. Not on this thread of course. I mean all those other threads. But pictures? If somebody was prepared to do that, why wouldn't be prepared to shoot his group from a bit closer than he says, instead?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Very interesting but not supportive of the most accurate: Plenty of makes and models but ... Not One Target to support accuracy! Therefore - so far this thread is worthless!
    OP never asked to see targets. So your post is worthless.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    OP never asked to see targets. So your post is worthless.
    amen!

My CZ 455 is the most accurate 22 that I've ever owned, also have a 77/22 that isn't far behind it.

Boolit Master
    Here is a link to Anschutz world records.

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index...u=38&sprache=1

Boolit Buddy
    Walther

Feinwerkbau

Bleiker ($9,000)

I have a Sako Finnfire S94 with a Lilja match barrel that shoots very well, but unfortunately no longer made.

Boolit Master

Most accurate, in my hands, is my 514 single shot Remy.

Boolit Bub
    Take a look at what the USA National Smallbore Team members are shooting. They need the most accurate rifles for international competitions and the Olympics.
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

I like my Kimber 22 Hunter
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Hands down.
    With ArrowDodgers trigger.
    A marlin model 60.
    Or any of the old glenfields.
    I kid you not. Superbly accurate.
    Out shoots my remington 34 and CZ 452 American.
    On par with my thousand dollar KIDD ruger 10/22.-- and the remington 541T
    Yes. I like the model 60s
    Last edited by buckweet; 08-21-2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Ooops

Boolit Grand Master
    Anschutz would seem to be the top, but it needs ammo that it likes.
    Others can sometimes shoot as well, but again with ammo it ikes.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Don't forget the Savage made Anschutz.

Tim
    Savage imported Anschutz, never made them. They are marked Savage-Anschutz and have different model #s than a comparable Anschutz.
    For some reason, Islamists are the only racist, sexist, homophobic theocrats the media can't summon outrage against.

Boolit Master

Accurate .22LR Rifles

Well, you can't buy these new anymore and they won't shoot with the German match rifles, but sometimes "old school" is still kind of cool. I've used this Model 52 (Circa 1931) on our Monday evening 100 yard small bore prone shoots as well as dispatching prairie dogs from time to time. The Unertl is on it now, but it comes off and there is a flip up rear aperture match sight under it.

The military rifles are also in .22 LR and are both fun to shoot and quite accurate.

The Norma .22LR Match ammo currently available will give Eley 10X a run for its money for accuracy. The Model 52 loves the stuff.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Moderator Emeritus

In a way, this has always been a real trick question. Are we talking about the barrel's intrinsic accuracy, or are we factoring in the trigger, sights, and fit of gun to shooter? If it's just the barrel's intrinsic accuracy, then it might indeed be an old gun like the 514 mentioned. If all the other factors are factored in, and we want a "breaking glass" trigger pull with no overtravel, just the right weight and wt. distribution, and perfect fit to the shooter, then the 514's out, very obviously.

So it's all according to what you have, and what ammo you've been able to try to get it to shoot up to its full potential, and what you want to do with it. If it's just a mess of squirrels or small game, most any .22 that hasn't been abused and has a decent barrel crown might do the trick rather handily. If you're shooting for the nation's pride and reputation, then you want all the bells and whisteles.

Biggest trick to finding a really accurate .22 is finding what ammo it likes best. It can't be reloaded, so it's a matter of finding the right ammo, and then laying in a couple of cases of it if you want to punch the X our of the X-ring. Do that, via trial and error, and your cheapie squirrel gun may well be as intrinsically accurate as those finely appointed "match" guns. They're just harder to shoot accurately, especially from the normal target positions. That's really the only truly significant difference, at least pretty often.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast