Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substitute Lee Liquid Alox for Bull Plate in Speed Green?

Substitute Lee Liquid Alox for Bull Plate in Speed Green?

Simply put, I'm making my very first batch of bullet lube ever. I decided it would be easiest to try Speed Green first, since I have Beeswax and Bull Plate Lube. Well, I mixed up a 12 oz beeswax to 4 oz Bullplate (two bottles) batch. I found that it was not enough to fill the silicon baking pan I got just for the task up over the lube rings of my 500 grain cast 458 bullets. So to be able to use the nice silicon 9" x 9" cake pan I got, I need to make some more Speed Green. But as mentioned, I'm out of Bullplate. Other than wait to get more Bullplate, I do have several bottles of Lee liquid Alox on hand. Will that make a good substitute for the Bullplate? If not, what suggestions do you have for adding to the batch of Speed Green I have now, that will let me use the silicon pan I have? I only have enough beeswax for one more batch of whatever. I also have on hand two bottles of STP fuel treatment and a large jar of Petroleum Jelly. Is there some mixture that can be added to the Speed Green that will give me a large batch to use in the pan? I'd rather not have two different batches. Uses will be anything from 38 wadcutters up to 458 socom supers and subs. currently loading subs in the socom. Eventually I want to load high velocity for my 6.5 swedish mauser, 7.5 Swiss K31, and maybe even my M1 Garand, although I hear they tear up cast bullets.

Banned

alox isn't a substitute for speed green or bullplate in any shape or manner.
    you can however mix it with the bees-wax then mix the two batches together to make one batch of pain lube.
    use the vasoline as a softener if needed.
    now if you want to keep a speed green like lube going then go down to your dollar store and buy an 8 oz bottle of 2 stroke oil and use that in the same proportions as the bullplate.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    alox isn't a substitute for speed green or bullplate in any shape or manner.
    you can however mix it with the bees-wax then mix the two batches together to make one batch of pain lube.
    use the vasoline as a softener if needed.
    now if you want to keep a speed green like lube going then go down to your dollar store and buy an 8 oz bottle of 2 stroke oil and use that in the same proportions as the bullplate.
    How much would adding beeswax/Lee Alox to my current mix of Speed Green change the lubes performance?

Is Bull plate lube really just 2 cycle oil? Can you specify a brand that works best? Does it perform as well as Bull Plate?
    I've also seen on this forum where Permatex Dielectric Grease can be used as a sub for BullPlate. Is one a better match over the other?
    Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by mkj4him; 07-10-2016 at 08:48 PM.

Can't find a link to order BullPlate lube anywhere. Can someone please give me a link?

I may use one of the subs to make bullet lube, but would like some BullPlate to use on my mould as it was intended.

Boolit Master

If you are looking to lube your mold sprue hinge, just use the 2-stroke oil of your choice.

Bullshop & Jr were invited to leave the board after considerable shenanigans.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    If you are looking to lube your mold sprue hinge, just use the 2-stroke oil of your choice.

I have plenty of small bottles of mold lube from my assorted mihec purchases if you need one mailed to you, just PM me.

Boolit Grand Master
    I really don't like pan lubing, but if that is what you are stuck with....

You could go with a smaller pan to raise the level until you use up most of your current pound of Speed Green. I've seen a lot of pictures from back in the day where it looked like the can being used was a Spam can.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post

And a drop is plenty. Nothing worse than have it run into the cavites.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I really don't like pan lubing, but if that is what you are stuck with....

You could go with a smaller pan to raise the level until you use up most of your current pound of Speed Green. I've seen a lot of pictures from back in the day where it looked like the can being used was a Spam can.

Robert
    Thanks for the suggestion. I actually do have a small silicon "paint" pan about 3"x 6". I was able to get about 10 .458 bullets in it at a time. It's not the best but lets me try lubing bullets until I can make a larger batch of Speed Green.
    So if I get Amsoil 2 cycle motor oil and use it as bull plate lube in the Speed Green, will it perform the same? Could I just blend it with the first batch to make a large 2 pound batch that would fill my larger pan?

Boolit Master
    I have found no appreciable difference between bullplate and regular 2 stroke oil, either as a sprue lube or as a bullet lube ingredient. I think you would be fine to just make a new batch using the same proportions and then blend them together.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I have found no appreciable difference between bullplate and regular 2 stroke oil, either as a sprue lube or as a bullet lube ingredient. I think you would be fine to just make a new batch using the same proportions and then blend them together.
    That's what I wanted to hear. I will probably do it.

I've pan lubed my first batch of 458 bullets with what I have. They punched out okay, a little lube didn't stick in lube grooves, but not bad. The Speed Green seems a bit tacky, which may be fine as it is, but is there an ingredient I can add that would stiffen the lube a bit?
    Last edited by mkj4him; 07-12-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Stopped by Wally World today and picked up a small bottle of synthetic 2 cycle motor oil. I even opened and checked. It's blue. Sounds like the right stuff...right? going to give it a try.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mkj4him View Post
    Stopped by Wally World today and picked up a small bottle of synthetic 2 cycle motor oil. I even opened and checked. It's blue. Sounds like the right stuff...right? going to give it a try.
    Sounds identical to the mold lube I have. And the stuff I mix in my weed wacker now that I think about it....why did I pay a premium on ebay like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Sounds identical to the mold lube I have. And the stuff I mix in my weed wacker now that I think about it....why did I pay a premium on ebay like an idiot.
    I think we all have those moments, when we don't have all the info that is out there. There is always hind sight. I suppose if this stuff works just the same for lubing sprue plates and making Speed Green as the Bull Lube does, then there's no need to send me a bottle of your extra, unless you are just in the giving mood. Thanks anyway.

Now I just need to figure out how to clean and polish out the burrs in my Lee mold. Isn't there a post on here that covers that? Anyone have the link. I think they used Comet and a cast bullet chucked up in a drill. Sound familiar?

Boolit Master
    Now I just need to figure out how to clean and polish out the burrs in my Lee mold. Isn't there a post on here that covers that? Anyone have the link. I think they used Comet and a cast bullet chucked up in a drill. Sound familiar?
    That is the method I read about. I used toothpaste myself! bamboo skewers make great vent line cleaners and a qtip to find any spots I missed. Then again...I stopped buying lee molds and switched to MP/NOE so no issues there.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    That is the method I read about. I used toothpaste myself!
    Did it work? Make your cast bullets fall out of the Lee without problem? So I just cast util mould is to temp, then cast two bullets. I wonder how they made Comet stick? Wet the bullet I guess. Then drill hole and drive in screw, chuck in drill and slowly spin. I think they used candle black to show high spots or something. I need to find that post again.

Boolit Master
    Did it work? Make your cast bullets fall out of the Lee without problem? So I just cast util mould is to temp, then cast two bullets. I wonder how they made Comet stick? Wet the bullet I guess. Then drill hole and drive in screw, chuck in drill and slowly spin. I think they used candle black to show high spots or something. I need to find that post again.
    erm...kinda? I used it for a 6 hole mold, once up to temp I saved one from each hole. Toothpaste is obviously already a paste, but mixing a dab of water in some comet makes a fine, if slightly more abrasive, paste. Smoke the mold hella hard so it is totally black before you begin. Drill chuck didn't work for me, it just spun loose or dried to drill the screw in tighter. pair of needle nose pliers + slow and steady turning.

All of my molds still require a light tap or 2 with my wooden mallet to drop the goodies. I've tried other methods, but "pour, count to 5, tap tap" seems to work for me. This is probably due to the fact I use molds with lots of drive bands or other odd features. Wadcutters from lee stuck the worst for me, but the H&G mold they drop just fine. If it is at the sweet spot they will drop right as I open the mold.

Just mixed my batch of Green Speed with a new batch of beeswax and 2 cycle synthetic motor oil. One thing I noticed right away about the 2 cycle motor oil is it has a definite motor oil smell to it, when the Bull Plate Lube didn't seem to have much smell at all. Is there a particular brand 2 cycle oil out there that doesn't smell?
    Anyway, I mixed the two batches and will give the lube a try...once I can cast some decently filled out bullets.
    Last edited by mkj4him; 07-12-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've used a small block of steel in the pan to take up space and it raised the level up.