Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Remington 1911 R1 45ACP Handgun

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I was thinking of cutting the tip of the grip safety off with a thin Dremel cutting disc, welding a small extension piece in and filing it smooth. That should look original and stop the biteys. Alternately, putting a small cut half way through the hammer spur, spot heating it and bend it upwards a tad, welding it in the new position and clean up an file new grooves to match the originals.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 09-16-2016 at 01:45 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Will the rules allow you to trim the hammer spur 1/16"? That's all it took to get a couple of 1927 Args to quit biting me.

I'd go for a springfield armory mil spec.

Edit: Guess I should have read through the whole thread

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Will the rules allow you to trim the hammer spur 1/16"? That's all it took to get a couple of 1927 Args to quit biting me.
    I suppose carefully done, it would be hard to spot. I don't need much, just a bit of clearance. I will have to have a good look at it. I have disobedient hands, I will proceed slowly, haha. The range is closed for the car races (we are on the side of Mt Panorama) and then I'm off on holidays, so the project will move to the back burner for awhile.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

HaHa! I found another box of Ranger Ammo and the heavy duty Elastoplast Bandages, so the comparison test is on again tomorrow!

The original USGI came with a short wide hammer and was not prone to bite the hand. The latter commercial hammers could bit the hand. Of all the ones I have owned, there was only one hand biter in the crowd. It was a circa 2005 Colt Government Model. I just took the hammer to a bench grinder and shorted it a smidge and then smoothed everything out and rounded the edges with a file and emery cloth. It has not bite me since. You have to look real close to see that is has been modified.

Here tis....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

That will be the way to Char-Gar, thanks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    The range is closed for the car races (we are on the side of Mt Panorama).
    Mate moved to Bathurst from Grafton last year. Joined Bathurst PC
    Geoff Fischer.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Roll the web of your hand in under the tail of the grip safety. Its a very old trick I learned when I was carrying a Browning and a 1911A1. The 1911A1 never bit me but the Browning with no grip safety was constantly biting till I ran across the recommended method for avoiding this when using the 1911.

Its not so easy to do when drawing from a holster, but can be done with practice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234