Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 1911 R1 45ACP Handgun

Boolit Buddy
    Lotta people poo-poo the R1, but I gotta say they're an exceptional value. The one I have shoots and functions just as well as my much more expensive and highly modded Colt. My only gripe with mine is aesthetics... I have one of the early production models and you can see cast lines on the front strap.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    We didn't see them here in Australia until they had been out for awhile. I've seen a couple and they were all nicely finished guns. Mine seems well fitted and hardly makes a sound when you rattle it. I forgot to collect my target after shooting today. I finished off the ammo and the two guys that were shooting rifles, packed up just as I finished. I had been on the range as Range Officer for five hours, so I packed up quickly and got them to help with the gates. I will be back there tomorrow and will have a look.

I will also do a comparison with my Colt Gold Cup National Match and see how it goes.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Big guy problem, 1911A1 hammer bite, chomp a piece or two out of me everytime.

Two days snap shooting, 20yards, snap shooting running the gun in. I will adjust the sights when the gun is run in and I have worked out the best cast boolit load for the gun.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    I've had a blued one for a few years now, and loved it so much that I recently purchased a stainless one just for variety. But I've been very pleased with their reliablility, fit, finish and even accuracy. I shoot mostly home cast or plated bullets in them, and they digest them well.

170 Rounds of Ranger JHP ammo through it so far, 100 rounds left, then I have 500Berry's plated bullets to load and after that a big clean and cast boolits for the rest of it's (probably more likely my, it will be around long after I'm gone) life.

Gun now run in, nasty little grip safety, bites me every time.

Boolit Master

Ah....the 1911 hammer bite. Mine is a 1937 made civilian Colt A1 with the original grip safety. I've had it almost 40 years and have shot literally thousands of rounds through it. Now I have such a hard callous on the web of my hand ... I barely even notice it anymore.
    Semper Fi

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I have a myriad of tiny little scars there, I guess I'm going to add to them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Gun now run in, nasty little grip safety, bites me every time.

It is the hammer, not the grip safety that is biting.
    Take a Dremel tool or a good file and grind a little off the hammer spur. It won't take much, just grind a little and try until it does not bite.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

It's odd, but some bite and some don't. My first 1911, a WW I Colt would treat me the way yours is treating you, so I installed a round Commander-style hammer. My second, an Ithaca 1911-A1 does not bite me so I left the hammer alone. As I continued to acquire, now up around 15 and used to have more, I found it about 50-50, with 1911s usually biting and 1911-A1s sometimes not biting, AMT Hardballers not biting, some Para Ords bite, some don't--it seems to be a highly individualized thing. I also have a hard lump in the web between the thumb and forefinger, but now before going to the range I put a Band Aid over that area with the pad of the bandage centered in the critical location. Never draws blood, although the spot is usually sore the next day.

I prefer the look of the Commander hammers, but this gun is going to be used for SASS Wild Bunch Traditional Match and that means standard grip safety and spur hammer. I will pack my bandaids next time, I forgot them yesterday. I must put a bunch in the gun box.

If I end up keeping the National Match Gold Cup I will fit a Beavertail Grip Safety and Wilson Commander hammer.

I might be able to spot heat the base of the spur hammer and lift the end up a tad so it doesn't pinch so bad. I will have a talk to my engineer mate to see if that is feasible.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 09-08-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep,Big hands or a high hold will cause that. Bob it or Beaver it and the meat of your thumb will thank you.

I prefer a high hold and only ever got bitten when shooting very, very hot loads, which prompted me to beaver my Colt a couple of years back. It's fairly easy to do yourself if you are a 'mind-to'.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Boolit Master
    FFOD.
    I run a Para GI Expert for Wild bunch up here in Grafton.
    A few have Norcs.
    I run 230gn RN over 4.5gn AP-50.
    Very accurate. ring 6" gong at 50 yards offhand with every shot.
    If you want to offload the Gold cup, give me a cooee.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I have used buckets of AS50 (and the odd tin of AP50) over the years. Not well liked by most, but worked well for me. Horsley Park Gun Shop advertised 10Kg (22Lb) kegs of it in about 1988 or 89 and I went to the shop cash in hand and asked for two kegs, I had visions of ultimately ending up with two very cool wastepaper baskets. It was not to be as the kegs were out of stock but they gave me the same deal in 500Gm (1.1Lb) tins. I walked out of the shop with boxes that were bigger than slabs of beer. The late wife's eyes nearly popped, but she was a cool lady and soon adjusted.

She was a heavy smoker and for once she had me stop so she could get out of the car for a smoke. She was a tall slim lady with long legs and she wore above the knee skirts and halter tops as was the fashion then for hot weather as most of the cars here were not air conditioned then (well not the sort of old junk I used to drive!).

At one stage we stopped at a busy part of the inner city roads and there was nowhere to sit, but it was the only place I could park, so she walked about 30yards ahead and sat on the low retaining wall. Two cars stopped with a proposal for her, but were sent politely on their way and then a Motorcycle cop on his K100RT BMW pulled up to sus her out. Turns out it was my Brother in Law and my Brother's old Partner. HaHa. He is such a straight shooter, he nearly died when she told him about the gun powder. I still have one or two tins, I haven't used it much in the past few years, I've been using TrailBoss in Western Action.

I will try the AS50 and also AS30, as I have a ton of that as well.

For our American friends, AS30 and AS50 are shotgun powders made here in Australia by Thales / Australian Defence Industries (we can't ever go to war with the French, our silly Government sold our defence weapons and ammunition factories to them). AP30 and AP50 are pistol powders with the same burn rates, but smaller cut to meter better. They are sold in the USA by Hodgsons as Clays and Clays Universal, I can't remember which is which.

Thanks for the infoAusGlock, what is your alias for Single Action?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    what is your alias for Single Action?
    None that can be used in polite company.
    We have a "Paddlewheel" and "Emerald" in our club, and they don't like any of the names I come up with.

Tupperware Trev is one I like, but they don't cause it isn't cowboy enough.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I've shot with Paddlewheel and Emerald on many occasions. Nice couple.

You register the alias, they don't have to like it, but will have to get used to it. Mind you, the Bible Bashers at SASS headquarters aren't as easy going us irreverent Aussies.

I finally got around to comparing the Remington R1 and my Colt National Match Gold Cup. The Remington shot well but the Colt's group was a bit tighter, which is to be expected. There is one flyer in the Colt's group and I don't remember giving a warning shot. Must have had a brain fade. Out of ammo now, so I will have to do the test again when I reload some lead boolits.

Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement Ammunition, 230 Gn JHPs, range 15metres, Bullseye is 4" across.

Colt group:

Remington group:

Back to the drawing board!

Boolit Master
    I bought my first 1911 thru the DCM for $19.50. It was a WWI issue in excellent condition. I wish I still had it. I get the shudders when I see what they are selling for now. I like the wide hammer on that model and I used to buy them at the gun shows for $5. I have built 1911s out of parts and I still have one of them. I am attaching pictures of it with the early hammer. The original trigger was too long for my finger so I replaced it with the short one.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 09-14-2016 at 04:42 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

That is a nice looking hammer Gopher Slayer. Does it provide more clearance? The 1911s with the standard hammer and spur draw blood everytime I shoot them and my friends at the rang think I'm mad, haha.

Boolit Master
    It doesn't pinch the web of my hand Wallace but my hands are much smaller than yours. It was the original design for the 1911 and was only changed to make it easier to manufacture. I don't know if you can use them in the Wild Bunch matches but they do make grip safeties with a longer hand protector, some are quite extreme in length. If I had to I would weld an extension on the safety you have. I don't like pain. I think the original hammers look so much better.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast