Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Testing your gun for ammo preference

Boolit Buddy

Testing your gun for ammo preference

Now that I've seen .22lr on shelves and I've even bought some ammo. I got a few different brands because I want to test my firearm to see if it "likes" any brand best. Looking into how people do this I've seen several different methods: 10 shot groups, 5 shot groups, 50,75,100 foot distances, slings, lead sleds, sandbags and more.

What's your preferred protocol for testing ammo preference in a new rimfire gun?

I shoot multiple 5 shot groups at a target face that has either 4 or 9 bullseyes on it depending on the distance shot. The fewer/larger spots are used at longer distances. I do my final testing at the distance I expect to use my rifle and in the positions I expect it to be used.
    Benching is a great way to find out what the rifle likes and you get to practice proper trigger control at the same time. The only issue is that the rifle may not shoot the same when you are sitting, kneeling, standing, or resting the rifle against a tree. The ammo needs to be tested in the gun using the same techniques and holds that you expect to use when hunting with it.
    I start with benching at 25 yards and 50 yards. 50 yards is usually the furthest I will attempt a shot under hunting conditions. When I find what works best, I will take the 3 best brands/types and work with those under hunting conditions to determine what works best there.
    Yes, this takes quite a bit of time and ammo, but when you are done you know your rifle and what it and you are capable of.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    Now that I've seen .22lr on shelves and I've even bought some ammo. I got a few different brands because I want to test my firearm to see if it "likes" any brand best. Looking into how people do this I've seen several different methods: 10 shot groups, 5 shot groups, 50,75,100 foot distances, slings, lead sleds, sandbags and more.

What's your preferred protocol for testing ammo preference in a new rimfire gun?
    I just use sand bags and a 100yrd target for mine. I'm not a rimfire expert but I can hit what I'm pointing at. I prefer 10 shot groups for anything with mild recoil....30-06 5 shot groups is plenty for me. If I had a sled I'm sure that would give a better representation of *just* the ammo and take the personal factor out of the equation. For me, with rimfires, I'm more worried about function check first. How dirty the rounds seem to fire, listening for different sounds of recoil (i had an issue with yellow jackets...so were super zippy some were kinda duds), and check the ejection.

Boolit Master

I use a Benchrest type front and a V type rear rest.
    I do all my 22lr testing at 50 yds....dale

Typically I'll do 5-shot groups @25yds when I start testing ammo. I'm looking for round groups (not vertical or horizontal), that's telling me that the rifle is tuned for that ammo. Then I'll step out to 50yds & 100yds. If I can take a sporter rifle and any of the cheaper hunting/bulk/blammo ammo and get 5-shot groups to do:

3/8" groups @25yds
    7/8" groups @50yds
    2 1/4" groups @100yds

Using a bench, front rest and rear bag, along with a scope. I'm happy.

Typically I'll do 5-shot groups @25yds when I start testing ammo. I'm looking for round groups (not vertical or horizontal), that's telling me that the rifle is tuned for that ammo. Then I'll step out to 50yds & 100yds. If I can take a bull bbl'd target rifle and match grade ammo and get 5-shot groups to do:

1/4" group @25yds
    1/2" group @50yds
    1 1/4" group @100yds

Using a bench, front rest and rear bag, along with a scope. I'm happy.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input guys. It's just a take down 10/.22 so I'm not expecting incredible accuracy. This model of gun has been shown to move the POI if you use a sling, so it will be shot as it is. For hunting squirrel I'll probably drop into a kneel as often as possible. And it will be my "practice offhand" shooting gun.

Based on your input I'll start with 5 groups of 5 shots at 25 yards off sandbags on the front. Then I'll push back to 50 yds. Then based which groups better, I'll start practicing my offhand and kneel with the best performers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. It's just a take down 10/.22 so I'm not expecting incredible accuracy. This model of gun has been shown to move the POI if you use a sling, so it will be shot as it is. For hunting squirrel I'll probably drop into a kneel as often as possible. And it will be my "practice offhand" shooting gun.

Based on your input I'll start with 5 groups of 5 shots at 25 yards off sandbags on the front. Then I'll push back to 50 yds. Then based which groups better, I'll start practicing my offhand and kneel with the best performers.
    I like the knee based offhand position. Seems almost as stable to me as a bench if I get setup right. Don't get to practice it quite as much as I like. Good plan to shoot how you plan to hunt, takes the guess work out later!

Boolit Master
    I shoot about 5, 5 shot groups at 50 yards from a bench rest. Measure each group and average the results. If there is only 1 or 2 flyers out of all 5 groups it is usually not counted.
    The most important thing is to pick good weather days without any wind. Because then you are testing the ammo and not your wind reading abilities.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

One of the problems with any of the rimfires is lot to lot sensitivity. Same band one lot will shoot lights out and the next lot not so much. I prefer to bench test at 50 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with alot of the above one other thing I do is test the ammo over several days. If Im testing 4 types of ammo testing will be over 3-6 days in diffrent conditions and the firing order rotated each time. I normally test at 50 yds. The testing over seeal days shows consistancy and true accuracy, you werent just having a good/bad day. Or temps affecting it. By rotating its firing order you show if any of the nullet lubes powders dont get along. Testing at the range and or osition to be used comes later thats more testing the gun and position than the ammo. Test from a solid bench and work slowly not heating the barrel up or tiring youself out.

Boolit Master
    I shoot groups at 25yards ,when changing to different makes shoot a few rounds as the lube from the first rounds can effect the next type .then shoot the best at 50 yards to make the final choice.I have a 1022 that prefers the magazine SK stuff best but its very greasy ammo so you'll have lots of wax to clean from around the breech etc after a few hundred rounds.

Boolit Master

I would shoot at the distance that I thought represented the distances that you would shoot at game. For squirrel I would think 50 yards would be a long shot so that would be my max. distance.
    If the rifle is scoped, I would sight the rifle in and determine the poi for different distances. I would try CCI Mini-Mag as it is known to be accurate. I would also make sure that the standard velocity ammo would function the action, if you decide on std. Velocity.

Boolit Master

5 shot group off of simple front rest and rear bag at 50 yards to do quick evaluation.

10 shot group at 50 for final precision determination.

I have very little of a ammo (ammo is now unobtainium) that makes my 10" octagon the MOST precise shooting gun and ammo I own at 50 yards.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!