Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easier Sizing.

Boolit Buddy

Easier Sizing.

Most of y'all may already have found this out, but it just dawned on me to try it! I was sizing some PC'd 125 grain rn boolits from 360ish to 357, and it took a pretty good pull of the handle to run 'em through a Lee sizing die. I looked around and spied a tube of Lee brass resizing lube on my bench, so I put just a very small dab in a plastic tub, gave 'em a swirl, and there was a very noticeable decrease in pressure needed to size 'em down. Also, the Lee lube dries to just a haze.

Thought I'd pass it along to those who may want to give it a try.
    Last edited by parson48; 07-10-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    That does work well. If I have a large amount of boolits to be sized I will spray a bit of my lanolin/alcohol mixture on them, which is maybe the same thing as the Lee case lube. Makes the effort go from low to zero.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have never ever needed any lube for sizing PC'd boolits in the many MANY thousands I have done. Most are sized 2 thou or so down and slide thru very easy. That is what PC is for!

If you think you must use a lube, be sure it is never greased-based, as grease could react with the PC down in the casing and cause degradation. Not proven, but why take the chance of destroying you barrel protection????

Perma-Banned

Most of my pc bullets...sizing 2 or 3 thou down...just bump through without a lot of effort.

If I have an over size coated bullet, I will use a bit of Oneshot sprayed on thin. Makes sizing easy.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I may give that a try if I ever cast any more 22bhn 440gr 500s. The last batch were so hard to size I had to use my Rockchucker press to size them. I was afraid I was going to destroy my little Lee die cast "C" frame.

This was normal sizing too with HF red PC. The bullets were just that hard.

Motor

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    I may give that a try if I ever cast any more 22bhn 440gr 500s. The last batch were so hard to size I had to use my Rockchucker press to size them. I was afraid I was going to destroy my little Lee die cast "C" frame.

This was normal sizing too with HF red PC. The bullets were just that hard.

Motor
    Exactly the experience I had with high BHN CB's as well as some others. PC is not a lube and adding some lube before sizing helps a lot as I found that rifle CB's were being distorted without a light coat of One Shot when sizing. The force needed to size pistol PC'd CB's through a Star sizer, which has much less mechanical advantage than loading presses, made me lube them as I don't want to wear out or break my Star sizers and this was with soft alloy and only 0.002" being sized down.

Everybody has a right to do it their own way and there is no only way or method to achieve the results they are shooting for. Insisting that others are doing it wrong when they find another way that works better for them is just silly.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Just tumble in a few drops of Mazzola oil. Great HV boolit lube and they don't even stutter with > 26BHN boolits. lanolin absorbs moisture. Mazzola is polar and it sticks to plastic and metal like glue. Similar to the water powered rock drill lube.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

NO NEED FOR LUBE I have done three or four bullets and my arm is still in great shape stop being a cry baby and man up. But when i do a lot of bullets some do not need lube others just make life easier with a little slickem. Just like a carbide die no lube needed a tiny bit goes along way. If lube helps out why not use it even it you do not have to have it.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    I have a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol with a bit of lanolin in it--seems to work well. Most can go through but it just seems to me that if I can ease the passage a bit, that's better for everything.
    Cogito ergo sum ego iacio (Google Translate)
    ------------------------
    Reloading and casting are like approaching a black hole; once you pass the event horizon there is no turning back.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I use a squirt or two of "Blaster" brand spray teflon.

As far as manning up, anything to make life easier for my arthritis plagued body at the age of 72 is a good thing!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

I roll the boolits on my RCBS case lube pad with the RCBS case lube on it. I've slowest down on casting now but it was not uncommon for me to do 5K in an afternoon.

Boolit Master

I've been known to put a 'cheater bar' on the press handle to get a better mechanical advantage. I just slip it over as I'm not looking to make it permanent.
    Agree that at 70 whatever helps is a good thing.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

is everybody on this site over 70? seams that way

LOL everyone is not over but good to see the wiser or seasoned members are posting and learning I have learned a lot from the older people in life and some I wonder how they got to be that old. The best thing I have learned is to listen to them what they are saying has merit even if you do not understand it at the time. Oh and to asked ? in a way that is not like disagreeing with them most feel if you do not understand they are wasting their time which they understand is limited.
    I have found people that say a lot know less then those would say little wish I learned what I could have learned if I kept my mouth shut more and my ears open.

sounds like proverbs 17:28 and 29:20

Banned

where do you get carbide bullet sizing dies???? Never heard of them. Got to agree with others that if it takes that much effort to size your probably distorting them. I spray them all with one shot now and it makes life easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    NO NEED FOR LUBE I have done three or four bullets and my arm is still in great shape stop being a cry baby and man up. But when i do a lot of bullets some do not need lube others just make life easier with a little slickem. Just like a carbide die no lube needed a tiny bit goes along way. If lube helps out why not use it even it you do not have to have it.

Lloyd the carbide dies I was referring to were for sizing pistol brass they say with those no lube is needed also but it sure makes things easier also. Push a plow or pull a plow kind of thing do what makes life easier.

whether the tractor is in front or behind the plow it is still pushing, just like in the sizing die
    Last edited by Phantom30; 07-22-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Boolit Master

When I get to be 70, I hope I am as smart as you old farts here. (69 yrs 7 mo now)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast