RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger #3 Scope Mt? - 22 hornet loads/boolits

Boolit Master

Ruger #3 cast load

As it happens, the revival of this thread coincided with a reinterest in varmint rifles I collected years ago. I picked up Ruger #3s in .30-40, .45-70, .22 Hornet, and later .223 Rem. I gave the .30-40 to my son, and got out the Hornet and .223 to shoot off the back porch @ 25 yards. Wet weather has kept me out of the 100 yd range.
    I became dissatisfied with the scope on the Hornet, a Weaver K6, so put a Bushnell 3-9x on. Shooting A load from 2009, 45 gr Hornadys with 11 gr 4227, I adjusted the group (0.55”) to 3/8” above POA at 25 yds.
    Then, trying a cast load put together in 1992, 55 gr 224462 RNGC, with 9.0 gr 4227 the 5-shot group (0.80”) was 3/8” below POA.
    Was pleased to see these loads shooting so well after so long in the box.
    A couple of days enjoyment in these uncertain times.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

I used Conetrol bases & rings on my #3 in .45-70. They look good & are strong. I gave that #3 to my youngest son: therefore, no photo.

In the past Tally made bases for other than Ruger rifles that enabled them to use Ruger rings. I had such a setup on a Rem. 700. I feel that the Ruger system is very strong.

Boolit Master

Mine shot better with the front barrel band removed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Is there a better scope mount system that Weaver style avaible for #3 Ruger? Will
    any of the #1 quarter ribs fit #3 ?
    My brother bought a #1 khornet barrel with 1/4 rib still on the barrel and had his gunsmith install the barrel on a #3 action. The barrel had to be set back a little to get the rib to clock in the right place. I'm not sure if a quarter rib can be installed on a #3 barrel or not.

wcp

Boolit Bub
    What's a fair price for a #3 in 22 hornet, used? GB seems to have some around the $1000 mark. Which seems like a lot of money but maybe I need a different datum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12