WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: small dog question

Banned

To have a dog stuffed would be pain and tears too much. A grave is bad enough. A person to get flowers at the stone but a dog is all out crying. You replace but nothing gets better. But you need a dog. Life sucks without them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I was in Dallas picking up a Ruger .45LC Blackhawk that someone had listed on Armslist. As I'm trying to find a parking spot, I see this small young woman being dragged down the walkway in front of the stores in the strip mall by a large black dog. Don't remember the type of dog, perhaps some sort of black lab mix, but it probably weighed more than she did. It was pretty funny to watch -- something like you would see in one of the old cartoons or whatever. So, I drove a bit further so that I would be parked in the area where the dog was dragging her towards. I got out of my pickup and stopped the dog as she was getting dragged by me. I then showed her a trick I had discovered for leashing dogs that like to pull. With it, I clip the leash to the collar (with the collar ring oriented up) and then run the leash under the chest of the dog (directly behind his front legs) and then route the leash under itself when it comes back to the top. You are effectively creating a half-hitch on the dog's torso. With this mechanism, you are not choking the dog (which causes some dogs to pull even *more*). If the dog pulls too much, you are restricting how far his chest can expand and thus how much air he can breathe, but not with the same reaction from the dog as if you use a choke collar. He has to take shallower breaths. I've subsequently learned that there is a company that makes a leash / collar that works on the same principle. Anyway, after I reconfigured the dogs leash and gave it back to the woman, it was like night and day. She could now hold the dog with one hand instead of using both hands on the leash and still being dragged down the sidewalk.

It's similar to how this commercial product works, but it works with your existing leash (as long as it is long enough) and thus doesn't cost you anything to try out.

Oh man that is genius! You could've saved me money about 3 years back. The under harness trick *does* help quite a bit with dogs that pull!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Oh man that is genius! You could've saved me money about 3 years back. The under harness trick *does* help quite a bit with dogs that pull!
    Many dogs instinctively forge. It's like they want to be pack animals and pull a cart or something. Choking them by the neck just encourages them to forge even more. Routing the leash in a half hitch under their chest cuts down how deep they can breathe and it really seems to make a difference. In the photo that I posted, the company decided to use a bolt snap with a larger square strap opening with a slot in the square strap portion to allow the strap to be slid in without you having to route most of the length of the leash through the opening. Of course, that weakens the force that the bolt snap could hold and it *could* be a potential problem.

With a bit of nylon straps and some marine hardware that you can find at any big box (e.g. Home Depot, Lowes, etc) home improvement / hardware store, you can create a harness or leash combination that works just as well as the commercial product that some companies are producing now. When I came up with my design, it was just a "I wonder what would happen if I routed the leash underneath and around him" sort of idea. Surprisingly, it worked great on the first try. This was a dog which had managed to physically break one of the bolt snaps on a leash previously. I could always control him since I was stronger than him, but my wife could never walk him. He would have dragged her down the street if she could have held on to the leash. After I reconfigured his leash this way, she had no problem with him.

While in the UK recently, I noticed a lot of Staffordshire Terriers with body harnesses on and they were very well behaved. I don't think that a normal harness would have this effect though, so it's probably just a case of well behaved dogs.

Halti works by putting a strap over the nose, pulling on the leash pulls the nose down, a dog has an instinctive reaction to pull backwards if their nose is pulled down. Like a reflex. Makes pulling against leash counter productive. Dog self trains not to pull. Where it gets fun is the same collar can be used with the leash not hooked to the nose strap. Dog having trained itself to not pull when wearing that collar will probably not pull even without the pressure.

Choke collars encourage lunging because they lift up the head and neck. Again an instinct is usually triggered only that one is to leap forward to get away. Pulling on belly, mid point causes loss of traction in addition to the other issues mentioned, that is something the dog will try and avoid. Growing up we had an English Cocker Spaniel that had learned to give her head a shake while quickly stepping backwards to slip out of her choke collar. Was never a puller but she was a fox about slipping her neck back out and going for a run.

Only problem with the Halti's is they look sort of like a muzzle so people are more inclined to think the dog bites and be concerned if the dog is friendly or inquisitive. Had a lady ask why dog had a muzzle since her little girl was petting our dog while eating an ice cream cone and the dog was not being pushy or aggressive to get the food right there in front of her. I said not a muzzle, dog knows only food that is offered is ok for her to take. Grandkids can surround her on the floor with plates of food and she won't bother them or the plates. Offer her a bit of hot dog and she will watch until the last bite on your plate is gone however.

If you use those choke collars with "prongs" and the dog still pulls, you have a problem and need to hit obedience classes. Saw a woman trying to train a dog to do agility and dog was lunging at other dogs against one of those collars. Trainer pulled her aside and explained dog control had to happen before obstacle training.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    A lot of people put their dogs in ordinary fixed harnesses because they pull. In the UK it is often a car seatbelt harness, because either that or some kind of partition to keep him out of the driver's way is now mandatory - and very wise too, as long as you get the choice. The harness stops him choking on the collar, which often distresses the owner. But if it isn't constricting his chest, it is just giving him a more comfortable way to really get that dog-sled moving.

Miniature Schnauzer

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    Find you a Fiest,they can be rambunchish at times but will settle down after the puppy stage.
    I
    I had a Fiest very loyal, only 10 to 15 pounds , her biting or snapping at any one including kids that come around I had plenty with a school next door, if some one came over that she did not know I had a lap full of dog, but no noise

Boolit Master
    I have had puppies and I have had shelter dogs , as adults if you can spend some time with them before you make the decision , you can pick out some really great dogs , we have had a beagle basset he was technically a senior dog when we got him he was a very good dog for the 4 years he lived. he would let the kids dress him up he just basically enjoyed the attention.
    next we got e 5-7 year old German Shepard she is great most trainable dog I have ever had smart but also been great with the kids.

after we had the Shepard a few years my wife decided she wanted a small dog , so we kept an eye out and we went to visit a 4.5 pound chihuahua and brought our Shepard with so they could meet and controlled the interaction but they were good together and we adopted the Chihuahua she barks a bit but not much.

just take your time make a few visits make sure that it is the right fit and not that your projecting your desire on it fit.
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Boolit Master
    get a Brittany. They will point the rabbits, chase tennis balls and retrieve them

Boolit Master
    That's a neat idea for the harness to prevent pulling. Our two shih tzu give my wife a hard time with pulling so she puts a harness on them...... I just use normal collar and they don't offer to pull.... once I did a bit of training. The groomer thinks it's funny how well behaved they are with me - they walk at heel, don't pull, sit until ready to leave, etc while with wife it's a full hassle. All in the training - and dogs know it!

Ken H>

Sorry for the loss of your pooch. My wife and I just got a 8 week old chihuahua. It's been one year since we lost our Maggie. Right now she is 2 lbs. tiny little turd

Banned

I take my little one in the Polaris and she sits on the seat with a paw on my leg. In the 4 runner, she is on my lap. Not right but she will not go other.
    She always is on a leash and if I put it down. she will stay as I go to pick up branches across the yard. I have to pee a lot outside and tell her "wait for me" so she will sit until I tell her OK.
    The bond and love can't be explained, if people were like dogs there would not be wars.

Hey Lloyd. I just wanted.to check in and see i you have thought about a new dog and whether you have gotten one. I lost my little buddy in January and am just now seriously considering another.

Boolit Master

Surprisingly, the female pit bull that my daughter rescued from someone having dumped it on the highway last week took to a leash VERY well. No forging ahead or anything. She walks right beside me when I take her out of the backyard. She and my other pit bull have an issue and I'm keeping them separated until the sutures that I put in my other pit bull heal up a bit.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    We got one of those under harnesses last year after someone else recommended them. Our valley bulldog would literally tear her collar off pulling us around. With the harness she completely stopped. Fantastic invention.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I grew up with beagles. My dad allways had at least two. I love them but my wife likes the rabbits running around the yard. Wouldn't matter to me but shed be mad if the dog ran them off.
    We always had beagle/bluetick mixes. The bluetick gave them longer legs to run deal with the snow when running rabbits. Great dogs.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

Mine is a leaf and grass mop! She will walk over a leaf and it is GONE, have to peel them off before I take her in. She loves other people and kids so I never let her run loose. She gets along fine with neighbors dogs but not strange ones.
    I took her to the vet to get her nails clipped, asked if they sold leg grow! Cracked up the office.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456