Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to buy a heavy barrel varmint rifle in 223. Recommendations?

Boolit Mold
    CZ or Savage both have several options

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Here again this would be the Howa barrel/action. Also a note on today's ammo, it is much better than we had 40 yrs back!!
    Charlie
    That is a great and mighty truth. Some rifles have always been made as well, though not as fast or cheaply, as those of today. In rifle technology "improvement" mostly means production economies. But the benchresters of the 60s prodded the manufacturers into producing ammunition to closer tolerances. Actually doing things the way benchresters do would be quite unsuitable for most sporting purposes, but the comparison has benefited us all.

Another one to consider is the CZ-527 Varmint. Spooky accurate and I love the single set trigger. On a good day I can get sub 1 inch groups at 200 yards out of my American stocked version. It has the 1-9 twist so it does not like the long bullets so if you want to shoot the heavies best go another direction.

Boolit Master
    Have a Rem 700 from the 80's in the .223 Rem, with a standard barrel. Also have a Varmintmaster 700 in the .22-250; comparing the two accuracy-wise there is no significant difference. This Spring I was "popping" small cans with the .223 at 250 yards with a pretty stiff crosswind. I was hitting more than missing. After awhile I could chose a spot on the can and hit it most of the time. I was using Bulk 55 grain FMJBT bullets that seemed more accurate than 55 Grain SP bullets. I had been thinking of getting a heavier barrel for it, but no longer.

Boolit Master

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A 223 rifle with 1-9 twist barrel should hande 70-75 grn bullets and perform well out to 500-600yds. A 1-7 twist will handle 80grn bullets and be good out that far also. My AR match rifle has a 1-7 krieger 26" barrel on it. With 80 grn JLKs I shot 198-200 with good x counts at 600 yds. These were the Original JLKS and a vld desighn. I believe I would be more concerned with how the rifle fit me and twist rate
    Here again it all depends on how the rifle is to be used. In your mid-range rifle target the 500 yard target probably has a 10 inch bullseye (10 ring), whereas, a prairie dog is just a tad thinner. I've got a very well set up 223 on a trued Rem action as well as a BRL 22 centerfire - the 223 will consistently hold 0.2's at 100 while the BRL will hold low 0.1's - that's indoors.

The BRL has one PD kill over 600 yards but there have been dozens of unsuccessful attempts at 600 yards+. Now at 450 to 550 yards I've killed a few but all with several sighters and the golden BB was as much luck as skill walking the bullets around the mound/grass.

The 223 is a different story. Lots of rounds fired at 500+ yards with nothing to show for it. Damn hard to connect on prairie dogs much over 300 yards. I shoot from a portable bench, use a modified Leupold 6X20 scope boosted to 18X40 with extra fine benchrest X-hairs and often times have several wind flags scattered around. Now, in that circumstance, a switch barrel rifle would be nice, as a 243 can reach out there a bit better and with a sighter or two the dog has a real good chance of dying.

198 out of 200 is very impressive with a high X count - you are truly a riflemen and have a mighty fine shooting AR as well. I would suspect when slung in your wobble area would be less than a half MOA - gotta be a young pup.

Boolit Grand Master

Nope will be 54 this year and I had to give up High power due to issues caused by MS. Im now shooting BPCR Shilouettes twice a month when I can. I dont do alot of prarrie dogs but woodchucks really dislike my AR match rifle LOL. I use a 6-20 lepould target scope on it with good results now, Before at the matches it was appeture sights. A warner rear and tompkins front. Barrel is a 26" krieger and with the iron sights a 10" bloop tube to extendthe sight radious. One thing most dont have is solid zeros for upper mid range to long range shooting. Getting solid zeros and learning to read conditions ( temp wind mirage humidity and such) is also very important, At 200-300yds these arnt near the issue they become at 500 - 1000yds as the bullet slows down and time of flight gets longer. I shot a 243 for long range for years A 105 grn JLK started at 2800 fps had a time of flight of close to 1 3/4 seconds a long time in the wind and conditions. I also shoot a fast twist 22-250, 220 swift ( a real burner there) a hornet and a 218bee for varmint depending on where Im going and possible ranges. he fast twist barrels and heavy for caliber VLD bullets do extend the range but still a solid known zero is needed to be effective.

Boolit Master
    Tikka or savage

Boolit Buddy
    Howa or CZ, Ruger American if you are pinching pennies.

Banned

or like Lloyd.
    the Stag 6-H. [an AR type]
    that's my main varmint rifle, it will consistently out shoot most of my varmint rifles and isn't picky about what you feed it as long as you use a good bullet.
    and you haven't had fun till you set up in a big prairie dog community with an ar and just lay them to waste. Bring a couple though as the barrels get HOT fast

Boolit Master
    I would buy the Savage Model 12 BVSS. I have one in .308 win and it is a good shooting rifle, and has a great trigger for a factory gun.

I would buy one now but have already spent all my money on components preparing for Thrillary.

So I guess that makes me a bonafide prepper.....
    Last edited by Clay M; 07-12-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for savage, Remington's reputation is a bit spotty nowadays. I hope they get there act together, the quality is out the window, and quantity is the big picture! The savage 12 bvss would be the way to go, cause out of the box it will do what you want, and it will shoot just about any bullet weight. You're best money is spent on glass though!

get a wood stocked Savage cheap, buy a nice McMillan or E. R. Shaw barrel and screw it on. The Shaw barrels come with a barrel nut wrench.

Boolit Bub
    Another vote for the CZ 527. I have had a few 223 bolt actions and for the money, these can't be beat. My current iteration is their "euro varminter" it has about a #5 taper barrel 25.6" in length. With the mini mauser style action though, the overall length is still less than a remmy with a 24" barrel. The CZ also has a set trigger, which is very useful for shooting accurately from the bench. The barrels are hammer forged, but they hand lap them so they don't seem to fowl quickly like most of the other factory guns. It probably is one reason they are so accurate as well. I have one that will print little clover leafs at 100 yards right out of the box. The others are sub-1/2" as well if I do my part.

I've had the Remington 700 and howa 223 as well. They were ok but neither shot as well and I didn't like the trigger on the howa.

Boolit Master
    Value for Money (and nothing else), the Savage LV25 has to be a leading candidate. Below is a link to a review that I did of the Walking Varminter in 222 Rem:

My summary: "Savage took a very good barrel and wedded it to the cheapest receiver and stock, albeit very well bedded, to produce an ugly, cheap looking, but very accurate rifle"

Not exactly a resounding endorsement, I know. But if you want an accurate rifle (and folks suggesting their poodle shooters are any good for less than 4 figures are just plain lying) that you can put good glass on and still be under $1,000 this should be on your list for serious consideration.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=804958

Well gentlemen, I traded for a Savage 25 in 223 with a wood laminate stock this afternoon. I will pick it up tomorrow hopefully.
    With luck, I will get to put some rounds through it either Friday or Saturday morning.
    I will post some results then.
    Thanks to you all for your input.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like fun ,

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Tikka or savage
    or older Rem 700 but defininently Tikka first.

I've had good success with a Savage LRPV 223 after shooting Remington 700VS rifles for several decades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160418_105554.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	172248

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Well gentlemen, I traded for a Savage 25 in 223 with a wood laminate stock this afternoon. I will pick it up tomorrow hopefully.
    With luck, I will get to put some rounds through it either Friday or Saturday morning.
    I will post some results then.
    Thanks to you all for your input.
    The 'heavy Varminter' will I believe sport an even heavier contour barrel than the Walking Varminter and the laminate stock is much better looking than the black plastic on mine. I think you'll be pretty happy. Let us know . And congratulations.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    The Savage 25 is probably the last rifle I would ever recommend to anyone. Very cheaply built, makes the Axis look like a Weatherby.

Hopefully it will shoot for you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast