RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to buy a heavy barrel varmint rifle in 223. Recommendations?

Getting ready to buy a heavy barrel varmint rifle in 223. Recommendations?

I am getting ready to buy a heavy barrel varmint rifle in 223. Bolt gun is preferred. I have no real use for a semi-auto. What would you recommend?
    I will be using this for bench rest shooting and possibly sniping at coyotes. Weight is not a consideration as I will not be carrying it far.
    The 223 is my choice because I have some left over ammunition from a previous rifle and because ammo is easily obtained.
    I don't need to reach really long distances currently so the limits of the 223 cartridge suit my usage.
    Accuracy is a priority. Lower cost would be a plus. I won't be doing modifications on the rifle so it needs to be a good shooter out of the box.
    New or used-doesn't matter.
    What is out there that fits my criteria?
    Last edited by tazman; 07-09-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Boolit Master

I really like my Ruger american rifle, the predator model.
    Mine is .308 but .223 is available.
    Heavier barrel than the standard ruger american.
    It shoots well out of the box.
    'Monkey

Boolit Grand Master
    Cheap plus accurate equals Savage rifle to me. While I haven't done anything with an Axis; I cannot remember any of the 110 variants being lousy shooters no matter what caliber they were chambered for.

Robert

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Cheap plus accurate equals Savage rifle to me. While I haven't done anything with an Axis; I cannot remember any of the 110 variants being lousy shooters no matter what caliber they were chambered for.

Robert
    1+ !!! Savage has cataloged some heavy barreled varmint style bolt guns in .223 with twist rates to suit heavier bullets, both single shot and with magazines. They have had me reconsider a bolt build up I had anticipated for some time ( on a Rem 700, has a 1:12 twist, likes 50-55 gr top shelf bullets , gives good accuracy w "ordinary" .223 ammo, falls off with wts of 62 gr or above. ), Though my varminter is a gas gun, it has a 1:8 twist barrel- makes pretty little cloverleaves at 100 yards, with 69gr SMKs . I likely do not have enough scope on it for fine work,far out , though.
    Last edited by cowboy; 07-10-2016 at 12:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    Savage, hands down. Especially if you go the single shot route. The trigger can be adjusted down to 6-8oz range safely.
    A 223 should give you groups 1/2" or better at 100yds.

Banned

ive had a good shooting heavy barreled .223 ruger and a good shooting heavy barreled .223 savage and a exceptionally good shooting rem 700 bdl varmint in 223. If you want out of the norm I also had a stag 20 inch heavy barreled ar that would outshoot the first two and give the 700 a run for its money.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I was very happy with the model 700 varmint special I bought used in the eighties . It worked real well until my pal needed a rifle for chucks ...................... now it works real well for him .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Back in the 70's the Remington 700 ruled supreme, but today I'd look at the Savage. Another option is the Howa rifle, I have 2 and they will shoot. Must admit that most all of my rifles except for the savage are 40yrs old and still producing single hole groups.
    Charlie

Boolit Master

You say "Accuracy is a priority" - everyone seems to have their own definition of accuracy. There's not many low cost rifles shooting 5-shot half-inch groups out of the box at 100 yards.

You might want to consider a switch barrel rifle made by a good rifle smith and a good smith is sometimes hard to find at reasonable prices.

A good smith can make you up a "trued" Remington short action with a couple bolts to fit your trued up action, like a 223 and a 308 bolt face. That 308 bolt face will fit several short cartridges if you want to switch barrels from a 223 to a 308, 243, 22-250 etc - just put the barrel on, change out the bolt and you're ready to go. Saves a ton of money in the future, as you can use the same stock, scope and trigger.

You can have different cartridge barrels fitted later, when you decide on different cartridge/caliber - BUT you should have the two bolts fitted, when you have your rifle made up, as it will be cheaper and IMO a better fit will result.

Stress relieved match barrels are a desired item when shooting a field full of prairie dogs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Another vote for the Savage.

So when I took the precision long range rifle class taught by local SWAT sharpshooter - his comment was if you plan on shooting enough to wear out barrels get a Remington as they put the money into the actions and you have many more choices for aftermarket parts for the Remington. If you want to buy a rifle and not change it buy the Savage, as they put their money into the barrels and most out of the box will shoot better than the person behind the trigger. He had both his department issue Remington (shortened barrel with suppressor and high dollar scope) and personal rifle (untouched Savage with Leupold glass) and demonstrated that they were accurate enough for what he needed to show.

I have a friend that bought a Savage for 1,000 yard shooting and was doing pretty good (243) and decided it needed a better barrel so sent it to Shilen and when it came back his groups really didn't get that much better in my mind to justify the money and wait. I asked for his old barrel as I think it's still a shooter.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I went with a savage axis for my 223 bolt gun, no disappointment here. Not a heavy barrel variant but I'm sure they would be equally as good. Price was right and accuracy is on par with what I expected.

Banned

I got two of these in .308 and two in .223. Plan on putting on new stocks at some point. Blind Box, so that may be a an issue for you. Not an issue for me. Barrel is mid to heavy and has threaded end if you want to use a can or suppressor. No I want two in .338 Federal. I really like them.

Prev1
    Next

Pause slideshow

11/111 Hog Hunter

Series:
    Specialty
    AccuTrigger:
    Yes
    AccuStock:
    No
    Magazine:
    Internal box
    Stock material:
    Synthetic
    Barrel material:
    Carbon Steel
    Stock finish:
    Matte
    Barrel finish:
    Matte
    Stock color:
    Natural
    Barrel color:
    Black
    Sights:
    LPA adjustable

Features:
    Green Composite Stock, Medium-Contour Barrel, Threaded Barrel

Available chamberings:

Please select a chambering below to view details for each rifle. Please note that some calibers may show multiple times due to differences in the attributes of each sku such as handed, twist, stock, etc.
    223 REM
    308 WIN
    338 FEDERAL

223 REM

Sku:
    Caliber:
    223 REM
    Handed:
    Right
    Rate of Twist:
    Weight:
    7.25 lbs
    Overall Length:
    40.5"
    Barrel Length:
    20"
    Ammo Capacity:

My accuracy requirements--- I am looking to get 1 inch or smaller groups from the bench. I expect that will be about all I am capable of.
    I have no experience with Savage rifles, which is why I asked the question I did. I have heard and seen many recommendations for Savage rifles in the last few years. Most who responded to this thread have recommended Savage. Which model Savage would you recommend?
    Is the Axis heavy barrel accurate/good enough to meet my requirements or do I need to go up the ladder a bit?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I am getting ready to buy a heavy barrel varmint rifle in 223. Bolt gun is preferred. I have no real use for a semi-auto. What would you recommend?
    I will be using this for bench rest shooting and possibly sniping at coyotes. Weight is not a consideration as I will not be carrying it far.
    The 223 is my choice because I have some left over ammunition from a previous rifle and because ammo is easily obtained.
    I don't need to reach really long distances currently so the limits of the 223 cartridge suit my usage.
    Accuracy is a priority. Lower cost would be a plus. I won't be doing modifications on the rifle so it needs to be a good shooter out of the box.
    New or used-doesn't matter.
    What is out there that fits my criteria?
    Your thoughts on design are very sound. The main use of a semi-auto sporting rifle isn't to fire a lot of shots quickly, but to fire the second without movement or mechanical noise betraying you, and it doesn't sound like you need to accept possible reduced accuracy and loss of reliability for that.

It is a hotly contested market, and I think individual rifles may vary more in accuracy than the several leading brands. You don't need the easier barrel changing of the Savage, but there is one very minor modification that is worth allowing for. A stock of wood or a plastic to which glue will stick allows you to glass bed the action or recoil lug. While plenty of rifles fall short of ½moa accuracy out of the box, it is very often attainable with very little work.

Boolit Master
    Spend a few extra bucks and get a Weatherby Vanguard, I bought one in 223 stainless last year and the first trip to the range my daughter (who has very little experience from a bench) was able to print 3/4" groups at 100yds with factory ammo. Alas, work and weather have kept me from the range to really see what this rifle is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    Spend a few extra bucks and get a Weatherby Vanguard, I bought one in 223 stainless last year and the first trip to the range my daughter (who has very little experience from a bench) was able to print 3/4" groups at 100yds with factory ammo. Alas, work and weather have kept me from the range to really see what this rifle is capable of.
    Here again this would be the Howa barrel/action. Also a note on today's ammo, it is much better than we had 40 yrs back!!
    Charlie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    I have no experience with them, but from what I understand the Vanguard is actually a Howa 1500. The Howa 1500 is less expensive than the Weatherby.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen some very good rifles from ll the major manufacturers (Rem, Win, Savage, Ruger) Also dont dicount some of the semmi custom makers (Dakote, Kimber, Cooper) a full blown custom with trued action, jewel or upper end trigger and krieger barrel and McMillen stock may be out of range but is the ultimate varmint rifle. I would shop around handle as many of the diffrent makes and models See what feels best and fits best in your opinion. Any more on most the fit and feel is more of an accuracy improver between them. While I am still a blued steel walnut guy some of the others also do very well. I would defintly give the Savage line a solid look first, then remingtons bolt actions, Winchesters can be fine performers also. Another thing is dont discount used rifles as they can be had for less money and tuned. A good used rifle may be much less than a new standard model and in as good of shape. A 223 rifle with 1-9 twist barrel should hande 70-75 grn bullets and perform well out to 500-600yds. A 1-7 twist will handle 80grn bullets and be good out that far also. My AR match rifle has a 1-7 krieger 26" barrel on it. With 80 grn JLKs I shot 198-200 with good x counts at 600 yds. These were the Original JLKS and a vld desighn. I believe I would be more concerned with how the rifle fit me and twist rate

Banned

Bergara is making rifles.
    my 0-6 by them will break your 1/2" group criteria without breaking a sweat.
    I didn't even do any load work-ups just picked a load and a bullet and put them together.
    they make a nice wood stocked varmint version that would work for you and not break the bank.

if you decide to go with a savage,
    for what you want I'd recommend the savage 112, it's a single shot. [I have one in 220 swift]

or like Lloyd.
    the Stag 6-H. [an AR type]
    that's my main varmint rifle, it will consistently out shoot most of my varmint rifles and isn't picky about what you feed it as long as you use a good bullet.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast