RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 32-20 loading help

32-20 loading help

I need some help reloading for 32-20 rifle, I have searched all my loading manuals and the web and cant find much for rifles. I have a rem 25R and while I don't think its up to the "strong action" loads I found reference to, I do think it will handle a little more than pistol or "cowboy" loads which is about all I can find. The gun is in excellent condition and I had a gunsmith check it out prior to buying it. I got a LEE 100gr round nose mold with it and a set of lee dies. I normally make bullets from ww, but I did pick up a box of hornady 85gr jhp just to see how they shoot. I will probably use the gun mostly for cans, but I see it as a fine rabbit & squirrel gun, also on walks were I see the occasional coyote and bobcat. One of the biggest problems I find is which to use, SP or SR primers. I think somewhere around 1000/1100fps would do the trick, but if anyone can give me some tips I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day
    We have had a lot of good results with 10.5 grns of 4227 with a small pistol primer and a Lyman 311008 115grn. Start a bit lower and work up.
    Juddy

Boolit Grand Master
    Going to follow this thread with interest. Have a chance to shoot a buddy's .32-20 S&W revolver and don't have a clue as to what is appropriate for loading or boolits whislt in pursuit of the dreaded 25 yard paper bullseye. It appears to be in good shape and digests factory ammo without issue. Just want to make it a plinker.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition (2010) on page 173 has the very information you seek!

For use in weak actions, I prefer a bulky powder which fills the case and thereby positively prevents any possibility of loading a double charge, producing standard pressure and velocity using a nominal case full of powder.

Of the powders currently available to handloaders , only RL7 and 4198 meet these requirements and have the added benefit of pressure tested data developed in accordance with industry standards.

Lyman lists the 115-grain #311008 bullet, the standard bullet for the .32-20, seated at 1.59” overall cartridge length. The starting load of IMR4198 is 10 grains, which gives 1019 fps @ 8,900 cup, whereas the maximum load is 12.4 grains for 1272 fps @ 15,300 cup.

Using RL7 powder with the #311008 bullet at 1.59” overall cartridge length the starting load is 12.4 grains for 1038 fps @6,500 cup, and the maximum recommended is 15.5 grains for 1405 fps @16,000 cup, which should not be exceeded in your old black powder actions.

Velocities in Lyman’s testing were measured from a 14” barrel assembled into a Universal receiver. Based on my experience chronographing these powders with case-capacity loads in the .44-40 I would expect about +100 fps from a 20” barrel and about +150 fps from a rifle barrel longer than 24 inches. My neighbor uses the 100-grain Speer JHP bullet for the .32 H&R Magnum with 15 grains of H4198 in an original Winchester 1873 rifle with good results on barnyard varmints, despite its salt and pepper bore. Your 85-grain Hornady XTPs would perform well with these charges, and if you wish substituing the 100-grain XTP would also be safe. For cast bullets the Saeco #322, Accurate 31-110C and 31-118B bullets are good choices for the .32-20. Your Lee bullet should be satisfactory with these charges too.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

You've gotten great advice so far. Try different primers, some guns/loads prefer SP and some prefer SR and some prefer this brand over that brand. Myself, I usually start with either Winchester or CCI brands and go from there. Lots of times the CCI SP primer comes out the winner. Your Lee boolit should do fine, I personally have no experience with that one. I like RCBS's 98 gr. swc, Lyman 311008, Noe's copy of Lyman 311008, as well as a few others. The slower burning powders suggested (4227, 4198, and even 2400) are all good choices for rifle loads. Many others will work well too and one of the best has always been about 4.5 gr. of Unique. W231 also works well in some. I prefer the slower powders with more gas volume in rifle loads but don't be totally constrained by that, experiment a little. Your options are many. Hornady xtp's are great bullets, but extremely hard on game meat (as in, BLOWN UP SIR) at very much velocity. If you need help just ask for more, all of us here are happy to help. JW

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Going to follow this thread with interest. Have a chance to shoot a buddy's .32-20 S&W revolver and don't have a clue as to what is appropriate for loading or boolits whislt in pursuit of the dreaded 25 yard paper bullseye. It appears to be in good shape and digests factory ammo without issue. Just want to make it a plinker.
    For paper punching with your buddy's old .32-20 Hand Ejector S&W the #3118 or modern #31008 with 2.7 to 3 grains of Bullseye, or 3.0 to 3.5 grains of W231 or 3.5 to 4.0 grains of Unique will approximate factory loads and be gentle on the old girl.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have some 4227 & some Unique on hand, so as soon as I can mold up some bullets I will try them. I have some cci sp and some federal sr primers to try also. I like the looks of the Lyman 115 bullet too, I may have to get one, I have never been a fan of the RN bullet like the lee mold but hey, it came with the gun. I think the barrel length is 16in, so I may have to go with the faster unigue to get up to speed, but I will run it across the chrono to see.

Boolit Master
    If it were mine, I wouldn't hotrod it. But that's just me.

I share your interest in 32-20. A fun little round that I am trying to replace 22lr.

here is Paco Kelly's site...

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...e=Rifle&Source=

Good Luck to us both...

I think the 32-20 is going to work fine, I am a little concerned about the neck wall thickness. I already crushed a case by getting a little off center, knew it as soon as I felt it go in, but to late then. Seems like my Lee expander die mite be a little on the small side. I didn't get any ppwk with it, but I think I will pull it out and measure it, I wonder if it mite be a .311 size. I am not sure if Lee makes different size expanders for that cal. or if I mite have to move to another brand.

For a lot of .32s .314 is a good size. Slugga you barrel to be sure what size to use for best results. Expander dies should size the neck with about .002" stretch for best hold and to avoid sizing boolits down when seating.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

I will slug the bore, question, I usually use a 45cal pure lead muzzle loading bullet, for the smaller bore I just beat them down some the a hammer and small anvil until the are just oversize, then drive them thru with a wooden dowel. Anything wrong with this, I would hate to mess up.

Boolit Master
    Fine little rifle you have there, rather hard to come by. I have one just like it as well as another with a long barrel (can't remember , maybe 24"). Both mine like the 311008 on 4.5 of Unique. It shot so well I have not experimented much! That load will cloverleaf at 25 yards from my rifle and almost as well from the carbine. Plenty accurate for small stuff you might wanna eat
    When I slugged my rifle it was .310, I size to .311 and shoot them in both. The little Lee you have shoots OK in mine, don't remember the load as it's been a while. I just like the flat nose of the 311008 better so haven't revisited the Lee.

“You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I'm a bit curious what this round was and is typically used for as it seems a bit underpowered for medium game and a bit much for small game, though there are plenty of .32-.40 cal muzzleloaders used for small critters.

I certainly understand the nostalgia but wonder why someone would choose this over a .22 rimfire or Hornet in all but a few instances.

Boolit Master

It doesn't do anything fancy, reasonably heavy bullet for it's size, not overly destructive, very good terminal effect on animals and if your a careful hunter, harvest your deer. In short it will do everything a 22 LR/Hornet only better. Your opinion may vary.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    ...I certainly understand the nostalgia but wonder why someone would choose this over a .22 rimfire or Hornet in all but a few instances.
    Cheaper to cast and reload .32s than to replace quality .22 LR ammo at current market prices.

Better game killer on anything groundhog size or larger than any rimfire and MUCH less meat destruction than a .22 Hornet for anything you care to eat.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by yman View Post
    I will slug the bore, question, I usually use a 45cal pure lead muzzle loading bullet, for the smaller bore I just beat them down some the a hammer and small anvil until the are just oversize, then drive them thru with a wooden dowel. Anything wrong with this, I would hate to mess up.
    Do NOT use a wooden dowell. It will break, get jammed in the barrel and then you have a problem. Since you have a mould, just cast a couple bullets and use them. They will work and tell you what you need to know, even if they are skanky lookin.

.32-20 is a forgiving cartridge to load except for delicate case necks. You will get the feel so you don't ding them up so often. Invest in a Lyman "M" die and/or a set of Lyman cowboy dies or Redding dies. They will work better. I load for a Marlin 94 and Colt Army Special and Cimarron 1873 Single Action and use the same load for all three. I use a 105 grain over 8.8 grain of 2400 and a small rifle primer as pistol primers do not give uniform ignition. Rifle clocks at 1650 and the 5 1/2 inch revolvers 1250 - 1300.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

rking22, love the pic, i see yours has the correct carbine rear sight for this model. I have seen several with the standard rifle site. I would like to have one of the rifles in 25-20. I am going to look for a 311008 mold sometime, I much prefer a flat nose bullet too.
    rodwha, I think its just fun round, and if you ever got you hand on one of those little guns you would think so to. Its like a grown up .22 but better, and like outpost75 said you can reload it.
    DanCash, do you think Lee dies are inadaquit? or do just like Lyman dies? Just asking, I never owned a set of lyman or redding dies.

Boolit Master
    Thanks vman, I waited an inordinate amount of time for that carbine to go up for sale! If you check on the NOE website, I think you will fine a really good 311008 clone that will be the right size without rolling the dice on a lyman. Price will be close as well, might could get a 5 holer to feed it faster
    I used a 320 RB (buckshot) to slug mine. It measured within .0005 of several others on the Remington Society forum, so I suspect Remington held better bore tolerances in the 20s and 30s than they do now! As far as why a 32-20, cause they didn't make M25s in 38 Special but seriously, it's a big 22LR that can be reloaded. Very special little rifles, good luck on your hunt for a 25-20. I know of one but doubt it will be for sale, it's a family gun, and I hope the young man has the good sense to keep it!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I run a NOE 314008 over 4.1gr Green Dot for 1040fps via the suppressor. A slight crimp into the top grease groove pulls the group in tighter also.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day All
    I've got one in 25/20 and one in 32/20. They are both rifles and don't look as sweet as that carbine but considering I'm in Australia I don't think I'll find one of those short barrel ones. Heres a pic of the 32/20 getting some tucker Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29 may 15 214.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	172148
    Juddy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast