WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1873 Springfield

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin1964 View Post
    If you are new to the Springfield, you will want to get yourself a copy of the book "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine" by J. S. & Pat Wolf.
    Concur, this book will ensure that you get the maximum enjoyment from your rifle.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin1964 View Post
    If you are new to the Springfield, you will want to get yourself a copy of the book "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine" by J. S. & Pat Wolf.
    Dittos.
    Note, this book primarily covers shooting the trapdoors, and recreating black powder fixed ammunition as it was made by the Frankford Arsenal. There's no book that covers this subject more thoroughly. It also covers care, cleaning, and de-leading those guns that have been abused in the past with wrong ammunition. It also covers the variations in the guns that affect shooting, such as which guns sights are regulated for the 1873 405 grain bullet vs the 500gr 1881 bullet.

Trapdoors change the rules on common cast bullet accuracy in that their bores are oversize for their bullet, and ammunition was designed to bump up into the rifling with the jolt delivered by black powder, so soft alloys with around 1:20 tin:lead work best, and must contain NO antimony, which removes the plasticity required to get the bullet to bump up. If you're determined to shoot harder lead and smokeless, then a groove diameter bullet is needed, or accuracy is atrocious.
    My favorite is the Model 1888 with ramrod bayonet, a Mills sight hood added, and the detachable pistol grip (S&S Firearms has a dandy repro of that original accessory complete with the longer screw needed to mount it (simply replaces one of the original trigger guard screws no alteration of the gun required)

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C1245G
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't read Paul Matthews's "Forty Years with .45-70", but judged on an article I have seen on his use of the Trapdoor Springfield, it ought to be good. -Ballistics in Scotland

Thank you, that is the book I was trying to think of. I like Paul Matthews.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, John. Just happen to have some 457193's of 20-1 that I didn't use in another project. No worries about using smokeless in this rifle, don't think it will happen.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I haven't read Paul Matthews's "Forty Years with .45-70", but judged on an article I have seen on his use of the Trapdoor Springfield, it ought to be good. -Ballistics in Scotland

Thank you, that is the book I was trying to think of. I like Paul Matthews.
    I think it is about all kinds of .45-70, and can hardly include as much specific to the Springfield as the Wolf book. But it isn't the most expensive old gun book in the world, and should be well worth having.

Boolit Master
    I have. A 1866 50\70 it is fun fun to shoot and accurate. Yu
    Frank G.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I have. A 1866 50\70 it is fun fun to shoot and accurate. Yu
    I believe you've told me about that rifle, that's one reason I wanted it. It was good to see you again last week!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    I think it is about all kinds of .45-70, and can hardly include as much specific to the Springfield as the Wolf book. But it isn't the most expensive old gun book in the world, and should be well worth having.
    True, but I've read an excerpt that I believe came from that book and it was quite interesting.

Boolit Master
    I think it was Matthews that described shooting in the half-light at a distant cliff with the old Gould bullet, which was made to be used either as a conventional hollow-point (too hollow in my opinion) or with a .22 rimfire blank inserted. His blanks were black powder, which produced a visible flash. We can't grudge a bit of fun to someone who did so much valuable work within the normal range of maturity.

Boolit Grand Master

We can't grudge a bit of fun to someone who did so much valuable work within the normal range of maturity. -Ballistics in Scotland

I'm not afraid to admit that I like BP shooting mainly because it's big, dirty, noisy fun! I like the historical aspect of course but when it comes down to shooting I feel like a kid again. Hmmm...may have found a use for that 457122 mould.

Boolit Grand Master

Finally got around to cleaning the 1873 today. Bore is a bit pitted but the edges of the lands are very good. Methinks I need to dig out some 45-70 cases.

Boolit Grand Master

Dug out said cases last weekend and worked up some OE FFg loads using Lyman 457193 20-1 boolits. Range day tomorrow!

Boolit Buddy
    Bear in mind with the old Springfields, they have no "free bore" and very little (if any) lead-in to the rifling. Bullets that were meant to work with them have nose sections that are just under bore diameter (usually measuring right at 0.449" dia.), with the full groove-diameter section (0.458" to 0.460" dia.) of the bullet seated within the case.

Boolit Grand Master

Good to know, my theory was just the opposite. Figured it would have a long throat. My load chambers just fine, will see how it shoots in the morning.

Boolit Grand Master

Old soldier shot quite well today, functioned perfectly once I learned how it worked. Quite an impressive rifle. 136 years young. Very impressive. Just wish I could see the sights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12