RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Feeding Saeco 300-grain SWC-GC 45 Colt handloads?

Boolit Master

Feeding Saeco 300-grain SWC-GC 45 Colt handloads?

When chambered for 45 Colt, among lever action rifles - Rossi Winchester 1892 reproduction, Uberti Winchester 1873 reproduction, and Marlin 1894 - which is likely to feed ammunition handloaded with semi-wadcutter (Saeco 300-grain SWC-GC) bullets most reliably?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Buddy
    IME, none of them. The 300 has a VERY wide meplat... and it's OAL will jam that meplat up into the top of the chamber. With a '73, the sharp edges of the SWC will catch on the mouth of the chamber... unless you bevel it. Same as you can do with the 1894 or 1892, much as you will ramp a 1911 to feed a wider variety of bullets. I don't like doing that as it will remove some of the case support from the bottom of the chamber. Generally speaking, the max OAL will be 1.600", with 1.575-1.585 feeding better than any of the longer pills.

As an afterthought, if you relieve the carrier on the 1892 Win & 1894 Marlins, you can feed that longer bullet... the 1892 will also require relieving the cartridge guides to allow the rim of the cartridge to rise quicker and turn the cartridge to a horizontal attitude once the nose of the bullet is inside the mouth of the chamber.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Master

Griff:

The reason I specified the Saeco bullet is it is completely compatible with my Freedom Arms Model 97s. Their maximum cartridge length is that of 1873 SAA revolvers - that is, 1.59x inches when seated to use its crimp groove as the crimp groove. Contrary to this is RCBS' 270-grain SAA bullet. RCBS' bullet must be crimped over the SWC lip to obtain proper cartridge length for my 97s. And accuracy circles the drain with such seating. So cartridge length is not a disqualifier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    IME, none of them. The 300 has a VERY wide meplat... and it's OAL will jam that meplat up into the top of the chamber. With a '73, the sharp edges of the SWC will catch on the mouth of the chamber... unless you bevel it. Same as you can do with the 1894 or 1892, much as you will ramp a 1911 to feed a wider variety of bullets. I don't like doing that as it will remove some of the case support from the bottom of the chamber. Generally speaking, the max OAL will be 1.600", with 1.575-1.585 feeding better than any of the longer pills.

As an afterthought, if you relieve the carrier on the 1892 Win & 1894 Marlins, you can feed that longer bullet... the 1892 will also require relieving the cartridge guides to allow the rim of the cartridge to rise quicker and turn the cartridge to a horizontal attitude once the nose of the bullet is inside the mouth of the chamber.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Buddy
    With a little work to my marlins they will feed a 337grn. WLN LBT at 1.675 all day long.

Super Moderator

..............Naphtali, I have a Rossi M92 x 45 Colt (24" octagon, colorcased, blued) and a Miroku M92 x 45 Colt (24" round bbl, blued). I assume you're talking about the Saeco # 454, which is a 300gr SWC-GC. In both my rifles it feeds fine at an OAL of 1.605". Happily this length allows a roll crimp right into the crimp groove, that's conveniently placed there The Miroku seems happier with it as it has a 16" twist. The Rossi is okay, but not as friendly with it's 30" something twist.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance