Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 Special 148 Gr. Hornady Hollow Base Wadcutter Loading Questions

Boolit Master

38 Special 148 Gr. Hornady Hollow Base Wadcutter Loading Questions

I have come into possession of about 1200 of the above referenced swaged Boolits.

I've Googled the site and found that my load will probably be in the 3.3 to 3.7 grains of Bullseye for the sweet spot.

I have a Ruger Security Six and a Dan Wesson 357 that I will be feeding.

I have never loaded full wadcutters. What do you use as the seater punch? It seems that the round nose seater will contact the outermost rim of the wadcutter. Should I crimp?

Thanking you in advance.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

The round nose seater will most likely ride the outer edge of the bullet's diameter. It should square up with the frontal flat of the bullet. I would seat to flush and apply a mild roll crimp. Don't push too fast though, you will have a mess to clean up if so.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Fully agreed on the slight roll crimp. I've loaded many thousand of these and have a die set dedicated to them, with the seating die having the correct wadcutter seating plug. What do you intend to use them for? If for target work, then 2.5 or 2.6 gr. of Bullseye was the standard PPC loading.

What are you going to use these for? If for just punching paper out to 50 yards, then your load is on the heavy side. The standard load for all the years I shot PPC matches was 2.7 grains of Bullseye, with the bullet seated even with the case mouth, and a light roll crimp, in a .38 Special case.

With that load, from a Ransom Rest, my S&W K-38 put 10 shots into 1 7/8" at 50 yards, but I was using swaged HBWC bullets from Ron Gromak, who is no longer in business. That was also using all 6 chambers, not just one.

If you load these too hot, you'll blow through the bullet and risk leaving the skirt in the barrel, but usually you just have two pieces of bullet striking somewhere near the target.

If you have an extra seating plug, you can fill it with either hot glue gun glue, or epoxy, and make it fit the contour of the bullet nose. If not, use the SWC seating plug, which usually have a little more bearing surface on the outside edge than a RN seating plug does.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I seat mine one ring shy of flush for home cast, but that model in your picture is fully seated iirc. I like a light roll crimp but mine barely budge from the recoil. Good choice on powder. I use a bit lighter load, but I'm fairly cheap .

Boolit Master

use the lightest you can, they work best for me in 38 special cases

Boolit Master

Paper punching, fun, and accuracy.

I will try the lighter load.

Yes. I am loading these into 38 special cases. I am lusting after a Ruger 77/357 now.

Last edited by 762 shooter; 07-08-2016 at 09:51 PM.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned
    I shot a couple of metric tons of those bullets and the Speer version of the same type of bullet. They're are both great bullets and I had success with them using 231 and Bullseye. Probably more 231.
    I would use a seating stem for a SWC and the edge of the stem would contact the edge of the bullet without deforming the bullet.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 07-09-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    Paper punching, fun, and accuracy.

I will try the lighter load.

Yes. I am loading these into 38 special cases. I am lusting after a Ruger 77/357 now.

Have you looked at any of the 357 lever guns? I love that Ruger too, but it look hard to load for.

Boolit Master
    Excellent design, and the skirt is heavier than many HBWC designs, allowing for a bit more speed. I shot right around 35,000 of these years ago. Hornadys lube is better than some, and I never ran into leading even in my usual above normal loading.

Boolit Master
    I load the Speer version with 3.5 grains W231 and seat using the normal seating die (light crimp). Never had any seating difficulties. According to Hornady this is the max load, but I worked up to it with no problems. I measures out to about 850 fps and performs very nicely.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    I used these very bullets for my target work in a Colt National Match .38 special wadcutter Automatic and S&W Model 52-2. I have been using 2.7 grains of 700X. I have a separate seating die for the HBWCs. Check with the manufacturer of your seating die for a wadcutter seating plug they will often send you one for free. I have a small lathe and custom cut one for my seating die.

--fjruple

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Important to have cases expanded sufficiently in both diameter and depth that skirt of bullet is not deformed in seating. Also important that case mouths be well deburred inside to remove any wire edges. Flush seat and apply only enough taper crimp to remove all mouth flare. Thin-walled wadcutter brass gives better results than thicker walled service load brass.

A light roll crimp useful to improve feeding in autoloading match pistols, but is unnecessary in revolvers with midrange loads. The Hornady and Speer component 148-grain HBWCs ARE NOT suitable for loading "full charge" wadcutters. The only commercially available HBWC bullets which maintain their accuracy over 3 grains of Bullseye in .38 Special are REMINGTON, which still provide match-grade accuracy to 3.2 grains of Bullseye and are still more accurate than ordinary 158-grain LRN or SWC service loads u0p to 3.5 grains of Bullseye in .38 Special. Above 3.5 grains of Bulleye solid DEWC bullets are more suitable for full charge loads up to 4 grains of Bullseye.

Most accurate charges with Hornady and Speer component 148 HBWC bullets are 2.7-2.8 grains of Bullseye in .38 Special cases or 3.0-3.2 grains if flush seated in .357 Magnum brass. Alternately 3.2-3.5 grains of W231, SR7625 or HP38 can be used in .38 Special brass. or 3.5-3.8 grains of these powders in .357 brass.

Machine rest 12-shot groups from a good PPC revolver, S&W 52, Colt Gold Cup, or Hammerli 240 should be under an inch at 25 yards. If yours aren't, reexamine for excessive case sizing or excessive crimp which distort bullet, or excessive powder charge which blows skirt.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-09-2016 at 08:24 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

In Remembrance

I like every other poster here about this boolet and loads did load many thousands of these when I was involved with PPc shooting. I loaded then flush with a very slight roll crimp to just be rid of the case bell mouth. I used many 8 lb. containers of both HP-38 and Win. 231 powders at 3.3 grs. I also used Federal small pistol primers exclusively. My 6" S&W Model 14 that had been `tweaked` a bit was scarey accurate out to about 20 yards, maybe a bit farther on a good day. I preferred the Hornady WC over the Speer as I would have leading problems with the Speer over the Hornady. I finally got 2 of the older Lyman #358495 WC 4 hole molds and made my boolets from then on. I played with mixing alloys till I was dropping a boolet weighing 147 - 149 grs. and using the same 3.3 gr. load I won a `few` matches.Robert

Boolit Master

I too was going to say 2.7gr of Bullseye or 700X. That was my go to for these and 3gr is my mild 158gr loading.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I load them in Remington cases, as the R-P case walls are thinner, won't squeeze the soft bullet; over 2.7 gr. B'eye, seated flush, for use in 3 different Colt Officer Model 38's. They will make any shooter proud.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    I load them in Remington cases, as the R-P case walls are thinner, won't squeeze the soft bullet; over 2.7 gr. B'eye, seated flush, for use in 3 different Colt Officer Model 38's. They will make any shooter proud.
    reallllly now....that would explain why some of mine load easier than others. I knew different brands had different thickness of brass but I may have to break down a sort a few bags to test. I have batch of Armscore 38 special new in the closet I've been slowly using up, and man those are some tough brass to seat primers on and there is a noticable ring from inserting a non-bevel base wad cutter. still shoots just great and chambers fine in my revolvers, I assumed just something one see's as a reloader. All boolits are sized to .358 via my lee push through sizer.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you are serious about loading accurate wadcutter ammo, with factory wadcutter brass being harder to find these days, buy new Starline cases, lightly inside lubricate and set up a collet stop in the lathe as you press them over a .357-.358" mandrel, whichever provides a snug drive-fit, then outside neck turn the case mouths to 0.010" wall thickness to a depth approximating the length of your chosen HBWC bullet, about 1/2". After the case is fire-formed, the case interior will have a nicely formed "step" which the base of the bullet will rest against, so that you can decap, tumble-clean, prime and load UNSIZED cases, keeping the bullet properly positioned until you can run the newly assembled cartridge through a Redding profile crimp die to size the case and crimp it around the bullet with ZERO deformation.

This is the way the factories do it and is the best way.

But a caution: This method works ONLY iF your match target pistol or revolver has a close chamber which doesn't permit fired cases to swell excessively.

If WC bullets fit so loosely in fired brass that they will drop of their own weight past the case mouth, and down against the powder, that would create an unsafe condition, so this method will NOT work for brass fired in sloppy "service" chambers.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-09-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

If the round nose seating stem rounds over the soft outer edge of the swaged HBWC , use JB Weld to custom fit the RN stem to match the WC nose profile. A flat stem will also work , fill the RN stem with JB Weld , let cure and sand flat...it will now seat any boolit that has a flat spot on it. WC , SWC , TC , RF and FP , the flat seating stem is very versital and can be removed when desired.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy

I love this round in a .38 or .357. Probably the most accurate round for these weapons. I use 2.9 Bullseye for both. Watch your crimp these are soft rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast