Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any 1911 45 Fans???

Boolit Master
    She can blow-back any time she likes....and doug...this guns on you! I need a decent holiday or something "multiply like bunny's in the safe" isn't working anymore. Now I just get the stank face.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post

In the spirit of appreciation can someone recommend a particular model that would be similar (I can't afford the identical) to what was issued to our troops during ww II?
    And so now you have caught that dream and can take it out and hold it in your hand and realize that it symbolizes a sense of respect and honor for the generation that fought in the great hate, for that respect is only borne by those of us who can hold that 1911 and truly understand what it is that made it great, because it isn't the gun.

Glad you won it!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Ever seen one of these? Does it still qualify as a 1911?

Attachment 171981

Here's one not seen too often.

Attachment 171985

Good story with this one. I'll try to keep it short.

Attachment 171987

I bought this from another enthusiast as you see it, except I probably changed out the grips at one time or another. As you can see, the serial no. is 7674. The fellow I bought it from couldn't tell me anything about it. A real mystery gun, because it is positively a Colt-made frame and a Colt slide. But, early 1911s had U.S. Property markings, or if made for commercial sale they had a "C" in front of the number. Also, this number, not very visible in the photo, is an odd style of writing, more like script that block. I bought all sorts of books and couldn't find one like it. One of the books was an extensive list of serial numbers by date and manufacturer, and in researching a Remington Rand I found a foot note where a fellow desired to be contacted if one's Remington was within a certain serial number range to determine if it had a High Standard manufactured barrel for a reference book he was writing. So I sent a letter off to him about my Remington with the information he wanted to know, and was absolutely astounded to get a letter back. He said that the research program had ended years earlier and then told me all about my pistol. I wrote back and thanked him and told him about the mystery 1911 pictured above. Doggoned if he didn't phone me and told me to look at a certain photo in a particular book, which I just happened to have on the shelf, and I'd notice that the style of number was the same in the photo as on this pistol. He was absolutely correct. It turned out that the first 1911s manufactured by Colt as Super .38s had this style of writing for the serial number, and the conclusion could only be that this frame left the factory as a Super .38 and someone swapped out the upper half for that of a .45 ACP. So, probably not the most exciting bedtime story, I know...but you might run across this someday.

Boolit Master
    I shall post my new treasure once she arrives. Thanks Doug, I think i shall get it engraved on the side with a mark "doug's gun" in honor of this forum. You seem to do a fair bit of work for members with your services already.

Boolit Master

I have a Full Frame Blow Back Colt

Ooooooh....now that .38 is nice!

Boolit Buddy
    Any 1911 .45 fans, you mean there's other auto's out there besides the 1911?

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160708_104324.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	172003just picked my first 1911 up, Springfield army kote green

I have two 1911's of all the firearms I have they get shot the most.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    When I was sailing regularly into the Domican Republic years ago.

I noticed all the Cops and Security Guards were carrying Colt 1911 .38 Super Pistols?

I assume at one time the Dominican Government, got them in a contract from COLT???

Why they were in 38 Super instead of .45, I have no idea, except maybe, recoil????
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Why they were in 38 Super instead of .45, I have no idea, except maybe, recoil????
    Some of the wartime surrender terms limited what caliber that a country was permitted. There may be an old law on the books there from even the Versailles treaty days that limited Germany to .30 caliber or smaller, hence the .30 Luger cartridge was born out of necessity to comply with that treaty.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    Got my first one about 1960 & I don't know just how many I currently have.

I'll try to come close by WAG without digging thru safes. C-Colt(60s), Ser 70 CDR, Gold Cup, Colt Cdr comp, Colt Hard Ball Gun, Govt Mdl, Ser 80 Gold Cup, Hard Ball Gun, some special Colt 1yr issue that is CDR slide w/officers grip, one year 1991 w/target sites, 3 or 4 Officers, Kimber Ultra Carry, P13, P14, P15 comp. That's a good guess, maybe more or less. Probably have had in the triple didgets on 1911s since my first in 60. Just got talked out of my last Ser 70 slide by my gunsmith, so now have a credit on guns he's making.

Don't know why anyone would want to own a 1911.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Some of the wartime surrender terms limited what caliber that a country was permitted. There may be an old law on the books there from even the Versailles treaty days that limited Germany to .30 caliber or smaller, hence the .30 Luger cartridge was born out of necessity to comply with that treaty.
    The 9mm Luger cartridge was a later development than the .30 Luger.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Doug your idea, sounds better than mine.

We are talking about a "Banana Republic" so that makes sense!

I was thinking of building a 9x23 from a 38 Super but then you will have trouble with ammo on the street?

Reloading no problem but 9mm and 45 Auto, easier to find!

I sold my 10mm pistols as I decided the 45 Auto to be the perfect CQB round in a pistol.

Funny how JMB could get so many things right, with this platform!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    The 9mm Luger cartridge was a later development than the .30 Luger.
    The original Lugers of 1908 were 9mm parabellum afaik. There was no reason to neck it down prior to the Treaty Of Versailles.

Funny how JMB could get so many things right, with this platform!!!
    My what a flexible and slim platform there! Would she be packin' a Commandette Model of 1911????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    The original Lugers of 1908 were 9mm parabellum afaik. There was no reason to neck it down prior to the Treaty Of Versailles.
    The Luger of 1908 was not the original Luger. Your history on this one is all wrong. The 7.65 came first. The Germans wanted a bigger bullet so the case was shortened and necked up to essentially be a straight case (yeah, it is tapered slightly).
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

I was thinking of building a 9x23 from a 38 Super but then you will have trouble with ammo on the street?
    9x23 ammo is not that easy to find unless you order it online. But then again, I haven't noticed much in the way of .38 SUPER ammo either.

I have a RIA .22 TCM / 9mm combo that I'm using to build what is probably best categorized as a .38 SuperComp. I used a .38 SUPER barrel, but the brass will be made from .223 brass and loaded to 9x23 pressures. As such, I should not have to modify the extractor since .22 TCM is based off the .223 brass. Just need to get around to ordering the heavier recoil springs. Been out of the country for the last month and before that, they didn't have all the other parts for my order ready, so I had been holding off on completing the order. Too many things in the order for all of them to be in-stock at that same time, I guess.

I would have to say that M1911s are probably my favorite handgun, but I'm not fanatical about it. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 8 different M1911s that I own in various calibers, frame sizes, or single vs double magazine stacks. Now, if they were all in the same frame size and caliber, *maybe* I would be considered "fan".

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    The Luger of 1908 was not the original Luger. Your history on this one is all wrong. The 7.65 came first. The Germans wanted a bigger bullet so the case was shortened and necked up to essentially be a straight case (yeah, it is tapered slightly).
    I don't know where you got your history lessons from but I would trust the history as told my one Mr. Fred M. Datig over other sources.

In the beginning, they ALL were 9mm. All the way up to the Treaty Of Versailles. Here are a few snippets from the history of the Luger:

"In 1914, Germany entered the Great War armed with two basic Lugers, the military Model of 1908/14 and the Naval Model of 1904/14. The military or Army Model is almost identical to the Model 1908. All types have a 4-inch barrel, stock lug, holdopen device and a letter of the alphabet following the four digit serial number. All are caliber 9mm and will have the date of manufacture over the chamber. According to unofficial sources, approximately 2 million 4-inch barrelled Military Models were produced by both manufacturers, DWM and Erfurl, during the First World War period. In addition to this staggering figure, about 50 million replacement parts were supplied. The majority of these pistols and parts were of DWM manufacture."

"After World War I If there is any period in the complete history of the Luger where almost every rule is broken regarding models, variations, serial numbers, or anything on which a definite conclusion may be based, it is found in the post-World War I period. Perhaps the most important influence upon Luger production after that war was the Treaty of Versailles. This Treaty limited production to calibers not larger than 8mm and barrels no longer than 100mm, or 3 15/16 inches. These restrictions did not require a complete retooling by Luger manufacturers, however, as the pistol is so designed that by merely changing the barrel, and no other parts,the Luger is transformed from one caliber to the other! Because the standard military issue barrel was 4 inches, or l/16th-inch longer than the terms of the Treaty would allow, the barrel had to be shortened in order to conform. The Germans chose a barrel with a length of 3? inches or approximately 98mm. This model became known as the post-War Model, or the Model 1923."

Read the whole article here:

http://www.gundigest.com/gun-digest-...thelugerpistol

Later, Hitler secretly set up production of 9mm Luger pistols in violation of the treaty. These were the 9mm Lugers you are referring to.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-11-2016 at 11:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    Doug Guy, I got my history lessons reading about the .30 Luger cartridge which has always fascinated me. What you are missing is you think of the Luger as only German. What little internet searching I just now did reports that the Swiss Army was the first to adopt the Luger in 1900 IN ITS ORIGINAL CHAMBERING, 7.65. (Not yelling at you, just want to emphasize that.) So everything you quoted from that fellow's book is probably 100 percent accurate, but the part you are missing is the Germans adopted it in 9mm so of course all the German Lugers were in 9mm. But the pistol was designed and produced first in .30 Luger.

Imagine if back in the early 1900s JMB had designed the 1911 around a .40 caliber, but Uncle Sam said we want a .45. All US service 1911s would have been in .45 because that is what the US services adopted. Make sense?
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...908-p08-luger/
    Rule 303

Boolit Buddy
    Amen, I like to experiment with different bullets and loads and have found none better for my 1911's than the LBT 230 LFN, BHN 14, 6.1gn Unique, WLP, 1.20" OAL, .470" taper crimp. This seems to be outstanding in reliability and accuracy using any one of my Springfield 1911's.

By the way, I talked with Springfield and found out they will not seek approval for the sale of anymore handguns here in CA because of new regs beginning in Jan 2017. There is a magazine lock and chamber indicator required then and they are not equipped to change their existing design (more likely don't want to and I don't blame them)

Welcome to COMMIEFORNIA. This used to be a nice place to live.