Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman 45 Lube/sizer

Boolit Master

Lyman 45 Lube/sizer

What's the downfall of one of the old Lyman 45 lubrisizers? I assume they use the standard lube sticks with holes as well as the standard Lyman/RCBS dies?

Are they the equal of the later 450/4500? The reason I ask is that someone is offering me one in good shape but I've only used RCBS and a Magma/Star of late. I'm not a collector of this kind of equipment. If I buy it, I'll use it...unless it sux.
    [

I'm very happy with mine, but they are weaker than the Lyman 450/4500, and other newer sizers. I use Lyman dies so I can't answer about rcbs. Same lube sticks, or, if you make your own, melt and pour it in.
    Make sure it is complete and in good shape. Sometimes they are full of old nasty lube that requires disassembly and boiling the parts to clean it out. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Thumbs up

I have & use 3 of the 450's, and an RCBS. I tend to use the 450's for Standard sizing, and the RCBS for GC Boolits.
    The 450's also tend to like the Old Style Sizing Dies since they use a Set Screw instead of a lockdown nut.
    RCBS Dies do not have the groove aligned with the set screw, but has an O Ring instead. ; )
    My lathe man cuts grooves for me in the dies I intend to use in the old sizers.
    As far as working goes, I've never found one that was taken care of where the Ram was out of alignment due to the design, this is pretty hardy.

Jeff

A note;
    I forgot to mention the need to buy an updated pressure nut which can be purchased from Lyman. This wil avoid the Lube going past the old pressure nut, which can be a pain. They're around $5.00 + Shipping.
    Last edited by masscaster; 07-07-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention

Boolit Master
    I currently have nine lube-sizers and three of them are 45s. I like and use them. Contrary to what you often hear, they do not take the newer dies. Dies for the 45 have a smaller diameter in the lower half of the die while the dies for the RCBS and 450 are the same diameter the full length of the die. I made the mistake of forcing a newer die in 45 and had to dismantle the sizer and use a punch to drive the die out. I was lucky that the housing didn't break.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    I use modern Lyman dies in my Lyman 45 with no problem (other than being a little difficult to come out). I will note that my Lyman 45 is the later model with the solid cap (if it matters). I did buy it used, though. It is possible that the previous owner machined it to take the newer dies, but I doubt it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rwadley View Post
    I use modern Lyman dies in my Lyman 45 with no problem (other than being a little difficult to come out). I will note that my Lyman 45 is the later model with the solid cap (if it matters). I did buy it used, though. It is possible that the previous owner machined it to take the newer dies, but I doubt it.
    When you stated they were difficult to come out you found out what I said is true. I have many dies for both the 45 and later 450 and the older dies are two different diameters. I have explained all this before complete with pictures. I don't want to do it again. As I said I had to pound out a newer die from a 45 lube- sizer with a punch. He asked our opinion and I answered with what I know.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I have a 45 that I use exclusively for BP lubes anymore, primarily SPG. No problems of any kind.

It was a little tricky when I tried it with harder smokeless lubes. To get enough pressure to get NRA 50-50 lube to move without heat, it would sometimes extrude out around the sizer. Using less pressure would prevent the lube grooves from being filled.

I later bought a separate 4500 for smokeless lube and reserved the 45 for BP lube. Both work perfectly with their respective lubes. BTW, both use RCBS and Lyman sizing dies equally well. I have not had any trouble removing or doing anything else with them.

Have three of the lovely machines and yes the handles are the weak spot.
    Have one for my pistols and the other for rifle with the third as backup , have been very content with using them.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master

I have both the 4500 and the 45. I have the 45 set up exclusively for .358 sizing and the 4500 handles the balance of my other sizing duties. I like the 45 just fine. I bought it here for a good price and added a hardwood handle (it was missing) that I turned on my wood lathe and I also got rid of the weak old return spring and replaced it with a spring from and old "drafting lamp". I use a home made lube that I make from Moly grease and bees wax and it is soft enough to run through the 45 and the 4500 without heat. Sometimes I do, however, put the lamp near it for a few minutes to get things going a little faster.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

The only sizer/lubers I have are Lyman 45's, one's been in continous use for well over 20yrs with no problems. Hint on the lube with a hole. You pay the same price for lube sticks with holes as well as lube sticks without a hole. Order the lube sticks with "NO" holes, then melt the lube down into the Lyman 45. Not a lot in money savings but when you lube thousands and thousands of boolits, you end up saving because the lube without the holes goes about 50-100 boolits more than lube with the hole. If you have problems with the new dies/sizers, chuck the new die/sizer and use 220-400grit sand paper to size it down and it will work like new. On mine, when I'm done with one caliber, I back out the set screw, raise the handle and they just pop right up.
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Buddy
    Can any one tell me if the rod that pushes the die up, and out on the model 45 lube sizer, is the same as the one on the 450, or the 4500. I just received a mod 45, and the push up rod is missing. Thats all it needs to start lubing.
    I called Lyman, and ordered two of the newer pressure caps with the O rings. I also had them send me a push up rod for the 4500, but they did not know if it will fit. It was around $3.00 so I figure I'll take a chance. If I can find the proper push up rod I'll have two mod 45s. Thanks

Rebel Dave

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Dave View Post
    Can any one tell me if the rod that pushes the die up, and out on the model 45 lube sizer, is the same as the one on the 450, or the 4500. I just received a mod 45, and the push up rod is missing. Thats all it needs to start lubing.
    I called Lyman, and ordered two of the newer pressure caps with the O rings. I also had them send me a push up rod for the 4500, but they did not know if it will fit. It was around $3.00 so I figure I'll take a chance. If I can find the proper push up rod I'll have two mod 45s. Thanks

Rebel Dave
    Yes it is an exact replacement.
    Also, you can use a 1/4" hex head bolt in a pinch (it must be cut to the correct length).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Jon
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't waist my $3.00 on the rod from Lyman, it should be here in a couple days. I cleaned this most recent 45 up starting with a torch, to get out all the dry lube, then painted it with paint I had left from a 93 Dodge Ramcharger called "Forrest Green". It looks different next to its orange brother.But it turned out nice, and will work good once I get the rod.
    As a side note about the threads on the 45, I buy taps, and dies from a place on line called DrillsandCutters.com they have a good selection of taps, and dies, in odd sizes. You have to search for them a little, on the site.

Rebel Dave

Boolit Master

just a note: it's not that hard to clean out the old lube. I used a propane torch and held the sizer upside down so the old 'stuff' could run out. Don't have to tear the machine down but do take out the H&I dies so you get all the lube.

and protect your hand holding the sizer with a heavy glove (common sense here)
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Well..... That's a bummer, Lyman just called me, and told me the parts I had on order will not be available for around 6 weeks. Must be they have to wait for a shipment form China. I'll just have to scrounge around while I wait.
    I'm going to make a rod from a 1/4in bolt, like Jon mentioned.

If any one knowes of a source for the pressure caps with the O rings please chime in. Thanks

Rebel Dave

Boolit Master
    Lyman seems to be having some organizational issues. I was trying to order a new pressure nut for a couple of days to rehab a 45 I just picked up(my second). I finally got a hold of them yesterday. You cannot order just a pressure nut any longer. You now must order a "kit" that includes a cap,pressure screw,bottom seal and o ring with the pressure nut and o rings for around $22+. The kit of course is for a 4500 so some of the parts are useless for a 45.My kit is supposed to be here in 10 days. I will use the extra parts for my 450 someday. I have bought o rings at ACE hardware, just take an old one with you to size the new one. They are just tiny bit too big but if you take your time and tuck them into the lube tube with a blunt instrument they will work just fine.