RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a few thoughts on dogs

Just a few thoughts on dogs

A few of you fellows have recently lost your dogs, your best friend. I know the pain of loosing that special dog all too well and with the exception some service with "Uncle Sam's Misguided Children" back in '68-'69 I've always had a dog at my side, mostly multiple dogs, as many as the house and property could stand at a time. I love em!..I love em all!

Well, some of these dogs came into my life unexpectedly and suddenly, one I took from an abusive owner, a criminal awaiting sentencing. Some we've taken in from people who got a dog and later decided it was too much trouble for them. A few we've rescued from shelters, but many more were before the former owners had to go that far. Our door has always been open for a dog in need, and those are the ones who most likely out to be special dogs to us. We have three right now we've taken in from people to share their lives with us, and they are just as special as any dog we've ever paid for. Funny how they just show up at times, and God has been good and wise to us, never giving us more than we can support, but opening our door at the right time for another. A few that have shown up here were simply lost, and each one no matter how long it took, were reunited with their families. The longest took five days, (no tag, but we finally found his people) and boy oh boy were they ever happy to get their best friend back! Once we found them and called them, they dropped everything and rushed to our house, they had feared the worst by then and what a reunion it was! One, a poor old skinny Black Lab showed up one day, hungry and in need of water. He was invited to stay, but had places to go I guess. He ate and drank, then rushed out the door and on his way to where-ever he was headed. Maybe that's all he needed.

Yeah, it tears the heart when they leave, but you must never say, "I'll never have another dog." for whatever reason, respect for the one who departed, knowing another dog will someday tear your heart again also, you think you're too old for another dog... There's plenty of dogs out there who need YOU...and you'll find you need them just as much. "Lady", the dog I took from the abusive owner some 14 years ago walks silently and respectfully at my side every November when I remove the flags from comrade's graves. No special training was needed, she just does it, like she knows. If it weren't for her, I don't know as I could do it anymore without the aide of Lady. I know she's soon to leave me and there'll never be another one like her, but that's what makes her special. I can't replace her with one just like her, I don't want to. Another dog will shine his/her own special nature and leave me with the memory of Lady. I believe I'm in the company of good men, (and a few ladies) here, share your dog, you would be amazed at the smiles you'll get and the new friends you'll make. Once in a while we take one to the local nursing home, the old folks especially need a dog once in a while. Just provide proof of shots and the home welcomes them. I've heard a lot of life's stories over a dog.

You guys who've recently lost your special best friend, I know you can't replace that, you hold that dog and memory close to your heart, but you'll be amazed how special another dog can be if you let them. You'll find out how much you need them as much as they need you. Take your time grieving for your departed pal, when the time is right, one will enter your life and brighten it in a way you didn't think possible again.

Boolit Master

Well said IG. I can't imagine life without a dog.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I married my wife who loves cats, so I have learned to love cats. LOL
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I am a huge proponent of getting back on the horse asap. I like the fact that I had to grieve but at the same time I could ot live in my shell I had other dogs that needed the love just as much. So as sad as I was, still am, I had others that needed me and I them just as bad.

Boolit Master
    Well said Sr. I read a post a while back and I believe It was Blackwater that mentioned dog is God spelled backwards , a small taste of unconditional love .

Very well spoken Gunner...are we not most fortunate to be able to love, care for and communicate with our animals. Without a doubt, they always return more than they require, each having his own special attributes and personality...Life would be so much less without them!

Their unconditional love is addicting...OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Moderator Emeritus

want suggestions...

I am hesitant to post this here (I considered starting a new thread), but it just seems like this thread might be a good place to get some hints and tips from the dog people here, of what breed (or what mixture) of dog to look for?

I've posted about my part-time job before(traveling to jobsites), and have used it as a reason to not have a dog. When I was growing up, my family always had a dog, so I do love dogs. Well, extenuating circumstances had made me retire...that happened last week. I've told myself a hundred times, I'd consider getting a dog if I was retired.

I live alone in a large house, with a big garden in a small yard, in town and I have two house cats. One is a scaredy cat, she'll be no problem. The other acts like she owns the place, that may be interesting to introduce a dog to? This dog would be a house dog.

So, I'm up to hear suggestions.
    Thanks...

PS, Ithaca Gunner if you feel I'm hijacking your thread, send me a PM and I'll remove this post and start a new thread
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I married a cat lover.
    I had a red doberman that died a year later of old age.
    She now has 3 dogs that she says are "ours" but really aren't.

Get a 'Jailbird'

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I am hesitant to post this here (I considered starting a new thread), but it just seems like this thread might be a good place to get some hints and tips from the dog people here, of what breed (or what mixture) of dog to look for?

I've posted about my part-time job before(traveling to jobsites), and have used it as a reason to not have a dog. When I was growing up, my family always had a dog, so I do love dogs. Well, extenuating circumstances had made me retire...that happened last week. I've told myself a hundred times, I'd consider getting a dog if I was retired.

I live alone in a large house, with a big garden in a small yard, in town and I have two house cats. One is a scaredy cat, she'll be no problem. The other acts like she owns the place, that may be interesting to introduce a dog to? This dog would be a house dog.

Thanks...

PS, Ithaca Gunner if you feel I'm hijacking your thread, send me a PM and I'll remove this post and start a new thread
    Just go to the local dog pound...walk the isles without saying anything to any of the animals there...they will all greet you and pull at your heart strings, but...only one will get through to you. Don't go there with specifications, just go and observe...that special dog awaits your doing this.
    We never purchase animals outside of chickens...they have all been 'jailbirds' straight out of the pound...the best, most loving dogs in the entire world.

My last dog, 'Buddie' and I went to the Auburn air show and accidentally ran into the family that had to give him up...I didn't know these people but Buddie did and almost drug me 50 yards to catch up to the children...he was thrilled to see the kids again as they were too, so pleased to see Buddie.

Get yourself a 'jailbird' you'll never regret or look back!

'Millie', the cat is a ferrule cat walk up to the cabin that came about a year after Buddie...Buddie found her (a kitten) under the truck, she was his cat!

OS OKAttachment 171744
    Last edited by OS OK; 07-07-2016 at 03:37 PM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    Tomorrow I expext to have this pup at my place.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1467920017789.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	171743 He is a rescue. His owner couldn't keep him anymore. She looked for three months for someone to take him. He's 10 so we will have a couple of years together. Better with me than in a shelter.

No JonB, you're fine here. Good to have you!

Like's already been said, check the shelter, you'll know when you've found the right partner to share your home with.

Boolit Buddy

We have been adopting Springer Spaniels from ESRA for years and have found that two dogs are more than twice as good as one. Ben is now six and Makena just turned thirteen. Makena is slowing down, but we are praying for some good times ahead. Can't be without a dog or two.

Odd I should find this thread today.
    I just came from vets office he has had my dog (Bogart) for 2 days now.
    Prognosis is not looking good, vet doesn't know what the problem is and it looks like we'll have to put him to sleep.
    I've go to the point that I know whats going to have to be done, but I'm giving him every chance to prove me wrong.

Just took him some tea because he needs liquids in his system, and he always liked my wife's tea, and he drank a lot of it.
    I also took the other Husky, thought seeing her and I might help, don't know but it made me feel like I at least tried.

All 4 of my dogs came from the rescue/pound.
    One passed 6 months ago a shiz tsu with no eyes and was the runt of the little.
    I still have Fred the idiot mutt and Sadie the other Husky.

In 07 I had to put the best dog I have ever known to sleep because of cancer.
    Swore I would not have another dog, 6 months later I had 4 of them.

Yes, I will miss Bogart, but I know there will be another one that needs some love and attention.

As said rescue dogs are the best

Well bbs70 I certainly hope Bogart does prove you and the vet wrong and has many more happy years of life.

Ya know, I never thought I'd like a smaller dog, but we took in a little 20lb. mutt a few years ago. Glad we did, she fits right in with the other four and makes great comfort as a lap dog in the winter. She acts like a big dog, just proves how much they grow on ya.

Moderator Emeritus

Great post, IG! It's just very hard to take until you're over grieving the loss of one of the truly "great ones." But Lloyd and the others will get through it. They're good, strong men. It takes a strong man to grieve the way we dog lovers grieve for our dogs when they leave us. A real "dog man" just ain't complete without a good canine beside him. The degree and kind of loyalty and devotion they give us just makes a good man want to return it, but sooner or later, we all, I think, realize that it's no slight to the old dog to get a new one. And like someone posted here recently, it's what our dogs would tell us to do if they could.

Having recently lost my beloved Llewellyn setter, very suddenly and unexpectedly, I understand how all these guys who've lost their best friends lately. We all have to go through it. It's the price we pay, in the end, for the wonder and awe the good ones always instill in us, and the devotion and love that they so generously give us, we just feel compelled to return to them.

I figured with a name that includes Ithaca here, you'd probably have bird dogs, mostly, like I've usually tended to. We don't have birds here to hunt any more, due to fire ants, lack of the old fence rows, coyotes, etc., but I still love my bird dogs. My latest is a Llewellyn/Mountain Fice mix, and she's a real force of nature, and keeps me amused consistently. She had her first encounter with a snake (chicken snake, luckily) recently, and I shot it so it might teach her not to try to kill them herself. Lost one dog to a rattler when she got bit the 2nd time. She was the only "snake dog" I've ever owned (or that's owned me?), and would attack and kill ANY snake she saw, and you could NOT hold her to prevent her from getting to it. I've never seen a dog as quick! Literally like a mongoose. Had a very large snapping turtle with a head bigger than my fist backed up in the shrubbery once, and I grabbed her and tried to hold her with all my might, but it was like trying to hold a greased pig! She'd take her little mouth and dance around, and lunge in like a snake striking, put her top canine teeth on the top of its head, with the turtle's mouth gaping large and threatening, and her bottom canines on the chin of the turtle, and withdraw like a flash. If you've seen the strike of a snapping turtle, you know how fast it is, but she'd tired this one down with her false charges, I think, and would likely have made a mistake sooner or later. When I got her collared and on a rope, I finally got her in the house, but it took well over an hour for her to calm down. Her first rattler bite, her head swelled up to twice its normal size or maybe even more, and she'd already killed the rattlesnake when we found her, and was slinging it around every few seconds, though it was clearly dead. I believe she detatched every vertebrae in its whole body! But it had bit her, and the vet told us we probably needed to put her to sleep. I bent down and looked into her eyes, and at her dew claws, and the fire in her eyes was amazing. And those dew claws made me wonder if she'd weather it out. I know it's anthropomorphic, but in looking into her eyes, it just simply wasn't in me to deny her at least a fighting chance. She did in fact surprise both me and the vet, and pulled through, and in a few days, was essentially back to almost normal, albeit a bit humbled. The 2nd snake got her near her heart, and she was dead in about 5 minutes. It was an unsurvivable wound, and all I could do was hold her head. She seemed to know it was her time, and seemed mainly to take pride in the fact that she'd killed this one too. She went to sleep as though she was satisfied she'd done her best, and what she'd come to do.

I'll never understand dogs, really. I just take them as they are and enjoy whatever they have to offer, and it's always great. I could never deny myself another dog, but it does take a bit of time to get over losing one. Great thread.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Thanks...

My best dogs have been a "mutt" pitbull mix and my other 2 mix breeds. My parents heavily favor Shelties if you like the miniature lassy look and they are quite easy to train. Inlaws favor terrier mixes and abroad relatives have large breed mixed. I like to rescue dogs if possible, but they're all fun if raised right.

Boolit Master

+1 to the above. "As said rescue dogs are the best."

Lady appointments clerk at the VA in Bath, NY has a sign above her desk; "My favorite breed of dog is Rescued!"
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    Tomorrow I expext to have this pup at my place.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1467920017789.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	171743 He is a rescue. His owner couldn't keep him anymore. She looked for three months for someone to take him. He's 10 so we will have a couple of years together. Better with me than in a shelter.
    You Sir are a kind hearted soul!!

My Hero!!!!

Banned
    Ithaca Gunner, thank you for that post.

I just lost one special dog and I fear I'm about to lose another. I have said that when this last one goes, I will not go down that path again.
    It's not because I fear the pain when they die, that hurts terribly when it happens, but rather when I must leave them when I travel. My old neighbors would take care of my dogs when work prevented me from being home and those neighbors were great. The dogs stayed in their environment, the neighbors loved them and all was well. The new neighbors may be willing to fill in and perform that same role but I don't want to impose that on them.

The dog I just lost was a big ferocious looking thing that loved every person he met. He was full grown and about a year old when someone dumped him off near my house. He stayed around for about two weeks and I started feeding him. Then I let him in the house one night, my other dogs welcomed him and it was all over. The next day I took him to the vet, he got all of his shots and he was mine (more like I was his when you get down to it). After about 12 more years he got very sick, nothing the vet could fix, just age. A year later he wandered off and I never saw him again. I wish I could have said goodbye. I gave him the best life I could and he gave me unquestionable loyalty; then he left like he showed up.
    Maybe that's how it is supposed to work.

All of my dogs have been strays or rescues, just seems like we needed each other and it always worked out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast