Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Presses for use with RCBS primer pocket swager

Boolit Master

Presses for use with RCBS primer pocket swager

Folks, I'd had a Lee classic cast press for some years that has a ram too large for the case stripper from the RCBS primer pocket swager kit to fit over. The ram is about 1.15 OD as I recall and the case stripper is 1.0 ID. I really tire of jiggling and coercing the brass off the swager because I can't use the stripper. What presses are you using with this tool? You can't always tell from the product description what the size of the ram is. I would hope any RCBS would work. If you've come up with creative ways to make something work without beating up the brass ( read prying), that would be cool to hear too.

thanks

Call RCBS and tell them your press has a ram too large for the stripper. They will send you a larger stripper for free. That's what I did and it works just fine. I use it on a Lee Classic Cast single stage.

Boolit Master

Dag, what a thought! That's very good to know, thanks a bunch! I had already drawn up plans to take to a machine shop to have something made. I like your idea much better.

Boolit Buddy

That's good info. I've been thinking about buying a swager kit and I have a Lee press.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I was thinking about either using the 3/4" CH4D extension, making an ejector bushing, or turning the top of the ram down on my Classic Cast, so it would fit. I'm glad to know they'll send me one that fits. I could use it on my Challenger or RS, but I figured the extra leverage and strength of the CC would come in handy. I have been seriously considering using one to convert some Berdan brass I have, to Boxer.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

I called RCBS this morning and the larger diameter case stripper is on the way, no charge. I told him my existing ram is 1.115 OD, so the new stripper will be bigger than that. Will post the ID when I get it. Thanks Vhoward!

Glad to pass the info on. I stumbled on the tip when I bought the Classic Cast single stage and discovered the ram was too large for the stripper. Either on this forum or on the Firing Line.
    There are RCBS presses with the larger ram. That's why they have a stripper available for larger rams.

Banned

This is interesting and another good report for the RCBS customer service.

Boolit Master

Yes it is, I've had great experiences with them. I've been buying their dies of late and they have all been good.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    This is interesting and another good report for the RCBS customer service.

Boolit Master
    I have the RCBS primer pocket swager set up in my RCBS Ammomaster which the larger ejector was designed to fit its 1.5" ram diameter. The inside diameter of that ejector is about 1.6" in diameter. And it works well in the Ammomaster for me. The outside diameter is 1.75" and as long as you have clearance on the press bottom plate it will work (as long as the plate is flat).

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    I have the RCBS primer pocket swager set up in my RCBS Ammomaster which the larger ejector was designed to fit its 1.5" ram diameter. The inside diameter of that ejector is about 1.6" in diameter. And it works well in the Ammomaster for me. The outside diameter is 1.75" and as long as you have clearance on the press bottom plate it will work (as long as the plate is flat).
    That's the one RCBS sent me. It works fine on the Lee Classic Cast (non breechlock version). The breechlock version has spent primer disposal walls in the way that have to be ground away for the stripper to fit.

They sent me a large diameter stripper (not referring to an exotic dancer) for free too. I use it on my standard Lee Classic Cast and it works great. I also use the standard stripper on my Ultramag and that works great too.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.