Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Oversized sight for Rossi 92?

Boolit Master

Oversized sight for Rossi 92?

I have on older (pre top bolt safety) Rossi 92 in 45 colt. I really like this rifle, the 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrel is classy, the wood actually has some grain in it, and the trigger is nice and light. My only complaint about the rifle is the junky looking rear sight. I would like to replace it with a more traditional looking semi or full buckhorn style sight. My problem is the dovetail cut is way oversized in both depth and width. Does anyone know of a source for an oversized semi-buckhorn style sight that can be filed to fit?
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

I would suggest checking with the pre-eminent Model 92 gunsmith in the USA: www.stevesgunz.com ( Nate "Kiowa" Jones" is Steve's CAS handle)

Since he has been a factory advisor, and his main business is reworking Model 1892/92's, Steve would know your best course of action and/or options.

Last edited by pietro; 07-05-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Skinner sights makes oversized dovetail sights specifically for the Rossi. Here's a link: http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies so far! I Like Skinner sights but I want to keep this particular rifle Cowboy Action legal, and I am pretty sure only tang mounted aperture sights are allowed.

Boolit Buddy
    I am in the same boat. We recently acquired a Rossi 92 and went to swap the chunky sights over to a more traditional buckhorn and found the dovetails are huge! Tried all the sights I had and nothing was close. I might just go with a tang sight.

Boolit Buddy
    All my Rossis (4) have 3/8th in dove tails. I installed Marbles front , and rear sights on them with no problems. Marbles sights come in 3/8th Dove tails, with different widths, ( not dove tail widths) sight width, and heights for the front. Can't speak for the real old Rossis, but most manufacturers use 3/8th as a standard. Measure your DT at the widest point, and see what it is, you might be surprised. If they are loose (not overly) they can be tightened.
    Mid way has a good selection of Marbles sights, at good prices. Hope this helps.

Rebel Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Dave View Post
    All my Rossis (4) have 3/8th in dove tails. I installed Marbles front , and rear sights on them with no problems. Marbles sights come in 3/8th Dove tails, with different widths, ( not dove tail widths) sight width, and heights for the front. Can't speak for the real old Rossis, but most manufacturers use 3/8th as a standard. Measure your DT at the widest point, and see what it is, you might be surprised. If they are loose (not overly) they can be tightened.
    Mid way has a good selection of Marbles sights, at good prices. Hope this helps.

Rebel Dave
    Just out of curiosity, are the 4 Rossis you own the newer models with the safety on top of the bolt?

Boolit Master
    Check with your local gunsmith.

Depending on how big the dovetail is, you might be able to solder a shim on the bottom of the sight and then file to fit.

Marbles might have the right size sight.

I believe the dovetail cuts were over size to what we're used to on older Rossi rifles. I have a Rossi 62 carbine with them.

Boolit Master
    Not a buckhorn but a really useful sight - Marbles Bullseye. I think I got it from Steves. Fit my 45LC '92

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/132...#39;s-_-132532

Boolit Grand Master

Yes the older Rossi had an oversize dovetail and I believe that even Marbles offered a special dovetail sight for them. You need to check the Brownell's catalog. In the shop here we just tig them on one side and recut the dovetail for standard 3/8. I have also in an emergency used shim stock to fit in a standard sight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are the 4 Rossis you own the newer models with the safety on top of the bolt?
    I have the one with the safety on the bolt & the dovetails are definitely oversized. You would really make a mess of things trying to pien it down tighter. I just now ordered the Skinner front sight in hopes that it solves the problem. Too bad Rossi/Braztech service doesn't have any parts.

I peened the cliff edges or the rear dovetail slightly and installed a Dockendorff wheel rear sight on my m62 Puma .357 Rossi. Huge improvement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I put XS ghost ring sights on my Rossi. The rear sight required drilling & tapping but the front sight was slightly loose in the dovetail. This was fixed by peening the bottom of the front sight. Eventually I'm going to convert it to a 10" SBR and will just mill the sight dovetail to the correct dimension.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master
    The one I ordered from Skinner says it is .015" oversized. We'll see if it does the trick...hoping!