Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee pro 1000 questions

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post

This press must be mounted to the bench so it does not move. No wiggle, no jiggle, no flex in the bench top. If you do that then the priming system works very well.

If that is too much to ask or expect to deal with then move on to something else or prime off press. Which to me defeats the whole purpose of the press.
    This is the reason why Inline Fabrication, RockDOCK and the StrongMount are around. A good solid mount can solve powder measure issues, timing as well as priming issues. I agree! Mount them solid! I have progressives and will not prime off the press. I use the priming system of each progressive.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rp- View Post

I am ready to send it back to Lee for a factory refurb.
    Lee charges 50% of retail to refurbish. They means it will be around $140.00 of Lee's retail of $280.00 plus shipping. Post pictures of before and after when it's done.

take care

r1kk1

The stripped unit is 168. Maybe I'll scrap this thing until I can afford the patience to get a new carrier and hope for the best at that time. I'll see if I can get a few pics of it later.

I picked this up in a trade that kind of went south at the last possible second. I'm thinking the guy knew it was messed up and ripped me off.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Or you may just look to do this.
    http://www.titanreloading.com/servic...9-carrier-body

http://leeprecision.com/pro-carrier-19-comple.html

If you look on ebay you can find the complete carrier for much less than from Lee. Takes less than 5 minutes to change.

Boolit Master
    LEE Currently provides replacement parts free with the user just paying shipping. Open a ticket on Lee's web page and they can assist you with the re-hab.

If you are on FB join The Lee Reloading and Casting group. We have over 18,000 members currently dedicated to using Lee equipment correctly. Many of us have used and repaired/re-habbed numerous Pro-1000's, Load Masters and even Lee Automators!!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curt48mauser View Post
    I realize I am late to the party on the topic of the Lee Pro 1000. Using the 9mm shell plate is the same as the .40 cal shell plate on mine. The shell plate fits the .40 cal perfectly whereas the 9mm is "loose" in the plate and seemed to cause misalignment for the primer feed for me. Maybe Lee has developed a different 9mm shell plate that is for an actual 9mm case-not the two calibers/one plate solution. The one thing I did that helped my primer feed was to put some extra groves on the ring bar so it shakes the primer tray more and keeps the primers moving down the slide.
    Curt
    I have found that primers feed better with the newer square trays, so if you're using the round trays replace them.

The index timing has a great affect on priming problems.
    I slowly index a single case from the sizing to the priming station and stop as soon the index is complete, then look underneath to see where the primer pin is relative the touching the press frame.
    There should be a gap there, and if not, turn the Philips screw underneath that advances the index, and try it again.
    You need that space, because if the primer pin begins to push up on the primer before indexing is complete, all kinds of bad things will happen...
    If you watch the Lee vid on the index adjustment, you are instructed to turn that screw an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turn once indexing has been achieved, and now you know the reason!
    The Pro 1000 zero adjustment vid:
    http://leeprecision.com/pro-1000-help-videos.html

With all the bad going on usually blamed on the priming system.
    Having a case there, trips the primer pin allowing it to drop down into position to accept the primer from the trough, where it is during reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Rp- View Post
    Just picked one up in a trade and its missing parts.

There doesnt seem to be a priming mechanism on the carrier it came with (45acp). Do the new carrier assemblies come with the priming mechanism? If not which does it use???

Handle is broke off and I see they sell a roller handle for it. Does it make that much difference over the I-beam style handle? Or should i find someone selling the I-beam style handle?

As for the powder dispenser. It has the auto-disk powder dispenser. I was thinking about either getting the auto-disk pro with the adjustable dump or getting the auto-drum. Anyone use these and have any input? My reason to switch is that the disks do not align to my powder needs. The smallest disk only goes down to .46 and i need about .38 for my 9mm loads which isnt an option...

Next question, is it worth trying to load rifle rounds? I currently load for 7.62x39 and plan to start 223 as well. Is it difficult to do rifle rounds on here?

Last question, is it reasonable to get different carriers and turrets for all calibers i will be loading? I will be loading mostly 9mm and 7.62x39. I will also load enough 40, 45, 223, and maybe 38/357 to possibly justify getting carriers for all of them. Is it easy and reliable to convert or is it a pain? Does everything need to be reset everytime or does it hold its place for dies and all?
    There should be a smaller disk. The one you're talking about sounds like the medium size I use for .45acp.

Regards,

Josh

Well I replaced the carrier along with almost all the parts in it.

44vaquero - you already got me into that group on faceyspace.

Started loading again this weekend and all is working good. I'm doing flare & powder at station 1, then seat, and last is crimp. I'm not priming on the press and all my brass is already sized and primed. So far I've done about 250 or so this weekend.

One problem I'm having is every 50 rounds or so my shell plate gets loose. No biggie. Easy to pull the turret, tighten the rod, and get started again.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Rp- that's great to hear that you are up and running again.

I have 2 carriers for mine. One is 9mm and the other is 38/357 and I find them easy enough to change. If you want extras then watch ebay, they come up frequently for under $40.00 with a shell plate.

I haven't experienced any loosening of my shell plates while using. When I take them down for cleaning and put them back together I put a tool in one of the shell slots and then just firmly snug the shell plate with an allen wrench. You don't want to over tighten.

I also have both the Auto disk and the Auto drum and both are working well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123