WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 300 win mag

Boolit Master

300 win mag

Just bought a 300 win mag (price was right). Anyone load for one or a simular 30 cal ? Thinking of trying a NEI copy of the old lyman 301620 or something simular ? Any help to alloy, powder load , paper, etc greatly appreciated. I be a novice to smokeless pp. LB

You have a challenge ahead of you. Those NOE Lyman NRA copies work great, I use 15# printer paper, Johnson's paste wax for lube, soft alloy like air cooled wheelweights or softer. Don't resize your cases if you can help it. Size to fit the throat, load with very light neck tension, pick a powder that gives low pressure with a full compressed load. . In the 300 win mag that means some of the slowest powders available. Expect spectacular failures for a while until you learn what you're doing. Relax and enjoy, don't get discouraged if you can't hit the berm twice in a row. You'll figure it out.

-Nobade

I only have one session and about 60 rounds of PP experience with my Remington 300WM...

I'm casting with Lyman #2, with RCBS 30-180-FN, and sized to .308 or .309. Applying two wraps of wet tracing paper (0.015), lubed with L-Alox, and resized to .311. Loaded with 50gr IMR4064 and a standard primer.

Looking forward to getting out to the range in a couple of weeks to test some different variations.

OW

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I have been reading on what col Harrison did years ago with a 300 win mag and it may be a challange. I would think we have a better powder now than the WW 785 that he used? I also have some heavy cotton rag paper I got by mistake but I think it is less than 15#. It would appear that I need to UNLEARN what I have been doing on pp with black powder.

Yep, pretty much everything that applies to paper patching and black powder is different with smokeless!

-Nobade

Hi Kid------patched my 375 H&H -----what fun-----1 1/2 MOA at 100

NOE 270 gr worked best, i have a RCBS 270 gr but it doesn't like it as well---- i machine a generous hollow point on the flat nosed slug-----terminal performance is IMPRESSIVE

Its a hog stomper for sure---------easy on the shoulder as well

52 gr 3031 and a small piece of polyester batting to keep the powder on the primer made a huge impact on accuracy------------

alloy is 30/1

i have a bunch wrapped ready to load to try a "full house" load of 3031-------------the hogs won't know the difference but it fun to see what i can get out of it

as Nobade does i use Johnsons paste wax as the final sizing lube---final diameter is 0.377

i posed a report on the exercise here----search my name for the previous post

Dave

Boolit Master
    I went to pick up the gun today. When I pulled out the bolt it fell into three broke pieces, not what I want in a 300 win mag so no new to me gun today. Loading smokeless pp sounds like fun but will try later.
    Dave : been wanting to ask you about the chicken bullets you showed me at the state match?

Hi KId 3 pieces Damn thats just wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its a brooks version of the 500 grain "money bullet"------still working on the best load for the new riflegun, so far its not liking the patched bullets the other Shiloh likes, testing testing i think its a shooter problem more than the load, still getting used to the scope

stay cool

Dave