RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: NOE mold thermometer trying it

Boolit Master

NOE mold thermometer trying it

I'm not sure how I missed it but I just placed an order for the NOE mold thermometer. Has anyone tried this? Is there a guide at what the mold temperature should be or is trial and error. I would expect my iron molds would be different from my aluminum and brass even more so...or not? I kinda sorta know what my lead temp should be but the actual mold temp is not something I've thought of...all I ever thought about pertaining to mold temp was "mold is up to temp". Not a very precise measurement...

I bet I could drill a hole for the probe in the heated bases of my lube machines and get an idea where they should be...
    Last edited by AbitNutz; 07-03-2016 at 10:25 AM.
    [

Boolit Buddy

I have the NOE thermometer and by trial and error found the best temp for the melt. I keep the molds on a hot plate during casting and place the mold over the t-meter to keep the temp near the melt temp. Just something that works for me.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Boolit Master
    Were there any surprises for you? Like one mold likes it hotter or colder than another? Or are they pretty much all the same?
    [

I'm sure there are many variables. Mold specifics like material, size, sprue plate etc. Alloy temp and composition. Boolit style, HP, HB etc. Temp readings from different thermometers may vary.

I tried out a few molds and found that about 400F with standard designs and 450-500F with Hollow Base worked for me.
    I used 15:1 lead/tin at about 750F. Brass liked a bit hotter than aluminum.
    Temp readings seem a bit high to me, but I don't have another thermometer to compare. Your readings may be different.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
    In the land of the disarmed, the one armed man is king.

I have a 5 cav. 460 diam. brass mold that likes to be 470 deg. according to the probe.

Boolit Master

Have been fooling around with temperatures and PID's mostly for something to do I guess. No great revelations so far but am enjoying myself which is the name of the game. Have a PID on the hotplate set for 380° F which after some trials seem to get the mold's in the 310° F range while the pots heat up which takes about 20 minutes.

Only have 2 molds tapped for a TC. Lee 452-252 and a Lyman 452374 both double cavities.

From a pre-warmed start (311° F) the Lee would climb to 400° real easily just casting. First bullets out were good but 400° was a bit hotter than needed and sprue cuts were smooth when that hot. I also use a cooling fan setup and it'd help keep the mold in the 350-360° range and things go fine with that mold.

The Lyman seems to prefer 310-330°.

I pretty much gauge things from the condition of the sprue cut and the "feel" when cutting it anyhow but there's a couple figures FWIW.

Depending on what lube and where you mount the TC of course, but I like 125° with LBT Blue on my RCBS luber/sizer.
    Last edited by Mike W1; 07-04-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826