RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ar build What's out there?

Banned

I think my next will be a 6.5 Grendel.

Boolit Grand Master

A 357 AR barrel is arriving by end of the day tomorrow. I posted in this thread 2.5 years ago. I got tired of the 358 Yeti barrels and parts never being available. So when the 357 AR barrel became available I bought it. I’m not a fan of modified mags but this one is easy. So is forming the brass. I have some Starline 223 Basic inbound as well. Just need to go through all the tooling to see if I have the proper reamer. If not that will be the only part I don’t have to form the cases.

Boolit Buddy
    don't forget pistol calibers. 9mm is cheapest, fun to shoot and NASTY out of the longer barrel. i just built a .40 with the stern defense magwell adapter (takes glock mags), and the .40 is also boosted tremendously by the longer barrel. i also shoot 45 and 10mm in the ar, but they don't seem to gain much in the rifle barrel.
    in rifle calibers, it's a toss up between the 7.62x39 and the 6.5 grendel. the 7.62x39 has cheaper ammo if you don't reload and is WAY more accurate out of an ar than an ak, but the grendel is more efficient and, at least in my guns, a bit more accurate. my advice, buy them all if you can.

Banned

I have to agree. Ive got two 9mm ars. A rifle and a pistol and if all I had was a 556 the 9 would be my first choice to branch out. Nothings centerfire is cheaper then cast bullet 9mms.
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    don't forget pistol calibers. 9mm is cheapest, fun to shoot and NASTY out of the longer barrel. i just built a .40 with the stern defense magwell adapter (takes glock mags), and the .40 is also boosted tremendously by the longer barrel. i also shoot 45 and 10mm in the ar, but they don't seem to gain much in the rifle barrel.
    in rifle calibers, it's a toss up between the 7.62x39 and the 6.5 grendel. the 7.62x39 has cheaper ammo if you don't reload and is WAY more accurate out of an ar than an ak, but the grendel is more efficient and, at least in my guns, a bit more accurate. my advice, buy them all if you can.

I’ll third a pistol caliber. I’ve built 3 .45acp ARs over the years using greasegun mag dedicated lowers. A sbr with a forward charging handle, a MP5 pistol and a Thompson. Lots of range fun and legal for IPSC and ZSA matches.

Boolit Grand Master

My 9mm AR is one the most fun guns to shoot. It has a habit of eating up a lot of ammo in short order. There’s a lot of options when it comes to building them these days.

Boolit Master

And now comes the 350 Legend by Winchester, a slightly lengthened rimless 357max. SAAMI, sounds perfect to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12